shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on stone for my mom! need advice asap!! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
Well, what better place to ask for advice than here...as always. i was out shopping with the parentals today and my father and mother started thinking about upgrading my moms ering! how fun i though! boy, did i wish i had a laptop with me to plug in some numbers..but ah..didnt, so have to rely on memory to help me here. right now, she has a D si1 stone, that is okay in cut. its not small, but when we originally bought it, we knew very little other than the normal 4 C''s that everyone seems to know. so at the time, we decided that color and size were the important things, and didnt pay much attention to much else. we got it from a well known jeweler whos service is great. however, when we visted them today, they didnt want to use the ering stone toward an upgrade..not sure why, as im sure they lost the immediete sale because of it. but, this also gives me the chance to ask the great people here their opinion on the stone we were considering. now i know, im going to get flack for the cert graders, but please, take all into consideration. my mother, now that her eyesight isnt exactly what it used to be, likes the size of the stone over all else. here are the stats, and please let me know what you think. i have to "guess" on some of the numbers as i only remember some of them but they are close.

2.64 ct
HVS2
EGL Europe (dont hate me!)
table 56%
Depth 60.9%
crown% 14.9%
pavillion% 42.9
girdle- medium
flour none
pol good
sym good

the depth might be off a bit, but i know it was less than 62% and more than 60%....
the HCA gives it really great numbers by the %, but since the EGL cet does not give angles, i dont have those to plug in. i couldnt plug in all the numbers on the AGA cut chart either, but they give the stone a 1A rating, except for the polish and symentry..but that doenst bother us too much.
so...i aks all my dear friends at PS, what do you think? is this worth my parents considering? they know i love this stuff, and really rely on my good judgement for a huge purchase like this.
oh..and the price..we couldnt beat it anywhere..$19900. not bad..but since its EGL, i can see the price drop. it being a H VS2, do you think we have anything to worry about, as we know, EGL EU can be a little lenient in grading? i looked at it in person and i loved it! its sooo much better than what she has, cut wise. and although they did not have an H&A viewer, i could see nice arrows when louped. i have a really good feeling about this stone, but i would love LOVE to hear any opinions that all you experts and hobby diamond lovers have to say..really! i just want my mom to be happy and love her ring.
thanks so much all!
i guess i should go to sleep now... :razz:

ps- even though its a egl cert, i couldnt even come close to beating this price on the internet..

pps- do egl certs say whether a stone has been lazer altered to mask inclusions?

thanks again! please..all feedback welcome! as soon as possible please!

bling :razz:
naughty.gif
9.gif
appl.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I'd say, trust your eyes! And just as backup, make the sale contingent on an independent appraisal, maybe? It's a big big purchase, so I'd play it safe...
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bling
4 months ago i returned a 2.53 ct h vs2 ags 0 cut the vendor was asking $19,700 just to give an idea,but diamonds has risen lately....btw egl EU is no ags or gia,if you sent this stone to either of this service it might come back I si1 then it might not be a bargain after all. if i had $20,000 to spend, i would definitely be looking at gia or ags certified stones.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Straight from the numbers provided, the stone looks very nice. But, regardless of cert, I would make the sale contingent upon verification of specs.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the feedback. i understand peoples stance on the EGL cert..but it was a lovely diamond, as i did see it in person.
Besides the cert possibly being "off" as far as color and clarity go, would the actual numbers be off? the numbers seem nice and it gets a 1A, and an HCA of like 0.7 (with % that is). HOw likely is it that the numbers would also be waay off from the cert. again, i have seen the stone and its soo nice! but being a PS person, i am so torn to tell them to go for it! help! thanks!
appl.gif
errrr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results