shape
carat
color
clarity

Type IA and HPHT?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DevilsAdvocate

Rough_Rock
Slipped to bottom of page three without a reply! Guess that is not good news!

I sure could use some of your thoughts on this!

It appears increased numbers of Type IA diamonds are given HPHT treatment.

Do we have to suspect all IAs now, as well as Type IIA?

Which IA diamonds should be lab tested for HPHT?

Any ideas as to the numbers of these being done?

Thank you for any insights. I will try getting in touch with some folks that do the treatment after the weekend.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have asked an authority on this subject to answer or to tell me so that I may reply to you. Hope he knows.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a reply:

Dave Atlas wrote:
It appears increased numbers of Type IA diamonds are given HPHT treatment.

Yup

Do we have to suspect all IAs now, as well as Type IIA?

Fancy colors, definitely yes.
I've been told that they have been able to eliminate the strong yellow green fluorescence, and are producing good yellows.
I'll be getting a chance to see some pre and post processed stone in the next few months..
Stuff is being done in Germany, and probably in the far east also

Which IA diamonds should be lab tested for HPHT?

Fancy colors

Any ideas as to the numbers of these being done?

Small amounts, from what I've heard. I've heard of some olive greens and yellows getting by the big boys as natural

SAS2000 Spectrophotometer Analysis System For Diamond Color Grading,
Diamond Synthetic And Treatment Detection, And General Gemstone ID
Industry Grading Issues at http://www.adamasgem.com or http://www.sas2000.com
Adamas Advantage Software: for Gemology, Mineralogy, Inventory
Email Martin Haske mailto:[email protected] for more information

DevilsAdvocate

Rough_Rock
David,

Appreciate the information. No doubt this will be affecting the trade more as time goes on.

Your information source mentioned a couple of these slipped by some experts undetected. Do the major labs check every diamond for treatments, or just certain ones?

The following colors, as far as I could find out so far, have been recorded as the results of IAs given HPHT.Most are fancy colors, some pale, some intense: yellow, orange, green, yellow green, green yellow,pink, and purple pink. Most are converted from yellows and browns.I read that if the Type is Ia/b it could result in colorless.

It looks like more will be happening with this. I will pass on any relevant information I get, and will much appreciate anyone else doing the same!

Thanks again.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
What are you referring to as a 1A diamond? My stone is listed as 1A American cut. Does this information apply to white stones as well?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1A cut is NOTHING to do with 1A type//// 1A type is a different issue having mostly to do with nitrogen in the diamond crystal.

The stones "getting by" means that major (and minor) labs are missing the detection of some HTHP diamonds even though the big labs are testing every diamond.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results