shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence and the sky

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have a question about the blue color that appears in fluorescent diamonds in sunlight.

Sometimes when people look at a diamond in sunlight and think they see blue, what they''re really seeing is the blue sky reflected in the stone. I know that happens with me, even when I''m looking at a stone with no fluorescence. Maybe somebody more expert than I am can suggest a way to look at a diamond in the sunlight without getting a lot of confusing sky reflections? Like, maybe, hold it in a ray of sunlight coming through a window into a room with a white ceiling, or something like that?

Thoughts, anyone?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/7/2004 12:17:26 PM glitterata wrote:

I have a question about the blue color that appears in fluorescent diamonds in sunlight.

Sometimes when people look at a diamond in sunlight and think they see blue, what they're really seeing is the blue sky reflected in the stone. I know that happens with me, even when I'm looking at a stone with no fluorescence. Maybe somebody more expert than I am can suggest a way to look at a diamond in the sunlight without getting a lot of confusing sky reflections? Like, maybe, hold it in a ray of sunlight coming through a window into a room with a white ceiling, or something like that?

Thoughts, anyone?----------------

No.
9.gif

But, the hue my stones w/ fluor take on are very different that my stones w/o blu. fluor.

About the only negative comment I have ever heard that made sense was that "the hue" bothers some people, as Aaron has mentioned in the thread that shall not be named. Ya gotta like it. I think it makes the stones more plugged in. I personally like it.

But, I agree. The diamond will take on it's surroundings. But, the hue has a purpley effect.

AaronMG

Rough_Rock
the thread that shall not be named...wow, i'm infamous!

glitterata - we're still deciding on whether we're keeping the stone we bought - but not at all because of the fluor - i really like the hue - very unique.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi glitterata-

I just took some pics of a stone with strong blue fluor... I'll try to upload them later. The stone was inside, in sunlight coming thru a window, but in a white room. I think it's the most objective way of distinguishing blue fluor from blue sky reflection
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Interesting...looking forward to seeing the pics.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a series of photos taken in a white room with sunlight coming through a window...

bluefluorcollagePS.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
5th pic is that purplish hue that I refered to .

great pics BTW

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks F&I! Yeah, that 5th shot is backlit, and definitely has more purple to it. It has more of a glow there. The other shots show how crisp the stone is, and how blue it looks in sunlight. The pics were taken at about 5,000 feet, so definitely more UV getting through. I'm curious to see if it will look different/less intense at sea level.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/8/2004 11:04:08 AM quaeritur wrote:

Thanks F&I! Yeah, that 5th shot is backlit, and definitely has more purple to it. It has more of a glow there. The other shots show how crisp the stone is, and how blue it looks in sunlight. The pics were taken at about 5,000 feet, so definitely more UV getting through. I'm curious to see if it will look different/less intense at sea level.----------------

Hi Quaeritur, great pics! What color is the stone?

I never even thought about the altitude issue. I'll have to try mine at our 8000+ ft mountains and then back at sea level.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Glitterata

A window will filter out UV rays;

You may want to try a photographic UV filter in the stream of light flowing through your closed window.
It you try it let us know

Johan

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
Hi Quaeritur, great pics! What color is the stone?

I never even thought about the altitude issue. I'll have to try mine at our 8000+ ft mountains and then back at sea level. ----------------

Thanks!
1.gif
That's a D with strong blue fluor. I couldn't make out a difference in the intensity of the blue based on the sun going through glass or not. If I remember correctly, those pics were taken with the sun coming through the glass patio door.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Very cool pictures.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Those are some really kewl pics, Quaer!! Thanks for sharing them with us!!
1.gif

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
excellent photographs... exactly what I was looking for.

The question I have is: would you say that your stone posesses any sort of appearance of being 'powder blue' (though not milky at all) when viewed in direct sunlight?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm... well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by powder blue. It does show a definite color shift to blue in sunlight, but it's still crisp. I think it almost looks like a very pale aquamarine in strong sunlight. The stone in the pics is certed as "strong blue" and I think it has some "very strong" tendencies... The medium blues I'm looking at are definitely less noticeably blue in daylight, but of the two, one is bluer than the other, even though they're both in the medium range. I think it's kind of like with color grades -there's a range even within the same grade. As long as the stone is crisp in sunlight, I find the effect to be beautiful, and like Jennifer said in the other thread, to me the stones with fluor just "pop" a little more. Still, it's a personal preference, and you should definitely see one before deciding on it. The exception to me is faint fluor, I think the effect of faint fluor is nearly indistinguishsable.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was talking with a delightful gentleman earlier today and he asked me about a stone I have that has strong blue. I put it in a holder and when I went out into the sunlight it took on a magical powdery blue color. It was just stunning. If I were a rich man (da da da you know the tune) I would just pull it from the floor and keep it forever. Then every bright sunny day I would walk down the street and annoy people making them look at my blue diamond!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results