shape
carat
color
clarity

How do gridle size affect the diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peako

Rough_Rock
i have been to some b & m shop to see lazare diamonds and hearts of fire..

Their cut seems to have slightly bigger girdle size of about 2.5 +- 0.3...

However it seems that diamonds listed with many vendors are less than 2.0

How does the girdle size affect the diamond..all things equal

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert here... but, as far as I can tell, if the rest of the numbers are good, you won't see much difference in performance from a thicker girdle. However, you will lose spread (diameter) because much of the carat weight will be hidden in the thicker girdle. In other words, you'll be paying more for size you can't see. Hope that helps...

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
If it's too small (extremely thin) you'll have an increased chance of chipping, so you might want to put it in a protected setting. Besides that, you're just hiding diamond weight in a place you can't see it, so a girdle that's too much thicker tends to mean a diamond which looks smaller from the top than a well-cut stone. It's not going to make a real difference until you start getting into the "thick" and "extremely thick" ranges, though, iirc.

EDIT: heh, two non-experts simultaneously respond. at least we agree
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
First - there are two ways or places to measure girdle thickness.

So be sure that what you are getting is the thinnest measurement - eg 1% is about the order of thin / medium, but 1% at the girdle valley = 2.7% at the main facet junction.

If the girdle is thicker than Slightly Thick, then you will have a reduced diameter or higher carat weight with no additional benefit.

However thick and very thick girdles have little impact on diamond beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results