shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal for diamond in ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lindalu

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I just purchased a 1.41 FSI1 GIA cert with Sarin report of AGS-O diamond from Union. I have already taken it to the local jeweler for mounting. My question is- Should I send it to an independent appraisor? It seems many of you had your loose stone sent directly to an appraisor, then to you. I did not think to do this as my insurance adjustor told me I would need a total ring appraisal for insurance. Can I still have this done since the ring is being set? SHOULD I have this done? there is not an appraisor in my town who does not sell jewelry.
I live in TX- any recommendations?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are plenty of Texan appraisers with and without stores. Once you have bought the ring, an independent appraiser can't do much more for you than a potentially biased one. You have to control the situation. Bring your documents. Give the retailer/appraiser the paperwork and ask for a simple insurance evaluation. I doubt you will have a big problem doing that.

If you ask a potentially biased appraiser for an opinion of the quality of the diamond, then there is a real problem with getting a straight answer or knwoing when you have been actually given one. In your case, I don't see this happening.
You need a stright appraisal and NO advice. Its already a done deal, right?

Lindalu

Rough_Rock
I have bought the diamond but still have another 3 weeks to return it if it should be desired. I had asked local jeweler to verify stone I recieved was one on cert and he did indicate this to be so. After seeing so many on the thread say they sent their loose stone to an appraiser first, I am second guessing myself about having it set and not "properly" appraised (I am depending on the retailer who sets it to give me an insurance appraisal). Not too late to stop the process if I need to. Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My business, and several other good folks here, depend on a perceived need for an independent, third party verification of the quality and value of diamonds recently purchased. It is a real need that some, but not all, consumers have. We seek to give them the help they require.

Some people don't need this service and I respect their many reasons. There are lots of reasons to get an appraisal and probably a large number of reasons to trust that all's well. It is a personal decision and not the same for every individual. We push services, but realize that we can't assist some people who either don't want help or the few who know enough on their own.

The best time to verify the quality of a diamond is BEFORE it is set. No doubt about that.

Lindalu

Rough_Rock
Please advise for independent appraisors in TX or would it be just as safe to send to you? There are none in my local community so I will have to send off the diamond and report anyway (this makes me a little nervous without full insurance on the item).
Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas

Steven Silver, GG, NAJA
Jewelry Appraisal Services
Houston, TX Jewelry Appraisal Services Inc. is an independent appraiser of gems and jewelry and dedicated to producing unbiased, accurate appraisals. It has combined over 51 years experience in the jewelry industry with over 45 years writing jewelry appraisals.

Paula Davis
GG, NAJA
3417 73rd St. Ste V
Lubbock, TX
806-795-1208 Paula Davis Jewery Appraisals

Mary Weber, G.G., NGJA
Westlake Jewelers & Appraisers
3300 Bee Cave Rd. #700
Austin, TX
512-329-8888 Senior Certified Appraiser with the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers serving Central Texas with accurate appraisals. Mary Weber has been active in the jewelry industry since 1980 and has been a jewelry appraiser for 9 years. She will give an unbiased evaluation on diamonds, colored stones, estate jewelry, gem carvings and most jewelry related items. Appraisals for insurance, estate, liquidation, divorce, donation, IRS, and fair market value.

Neil Beaty

Rough_Rock
ISA has quite a few appraisers in Texas that will be qualified for your job.

Go to the link at:
http://www.isa-appraisers.org/database/ISA_form.html

and search for your hometown.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results