color
clarity

For people sitting on the fence about Kindle

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link Tgal!

I''m glad they won''t be doing color or touch screen. Normally I love any and all high-tech stuff, but for the Kindle, I don''t want ANYTHING to detract from the simple, easy functionality of being able to comfortably read. No color/touch screens to screw up software, nothing to drain batteries, nada.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2010 8:00:58 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

I''m glad they won''t be doing color or touch screen. Normally I love any and all high-tech stuff, but for the Kindle, I don''t want ANYTHING to detract from the simple, easy functionality of being able to comfortably read. No color/touch screens to screw up software, nothing to drain batteries, nada.
I''m the same BEG...I''d be hard pressed to upgrade from this one. I don''t surf the web on it, don''t make notes, nor do I read anything with graphics. If I hate the new one, I''d probably buy an old one as backup!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
As the owner of both a kindle and iPad...I have to say that i am elated to hear the kindle will be staying organic and just a good plain reader without all the fancy stuff i don''t use it for anyway!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:15:41 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
As the owner of both a kindle and iPad...I have to say that i am elated to hear the kindle will be staying organic and just a good plain reader without all the fancy stuff i don''t use it for anyway!!
Italia, how do you like the Kindle compared to the Sony Reader you first bought?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hands down, the Kindle. It''s really hard to compare the two devices, because although they do the same thing, they both do it so differently.

I bought the Sony only because I couldn''t wait the projected 4 months to get a Kindle--this was back during the "Oprah hearts Kindle" time period when the device was so, so backordered it wasn''t even funny.

I initially thought that since I was only using the eReader for reading, the download on the fly, wireless bookstore and other "pluses" of the Kindle didn''t matter. But I was really mistaken.

First of all, the Sony''s library was really small in comparison. I decided to make the change after I discovered NONE of the Twilight books were available, along with a multitude of other books I wanted. I actually like reading new releases, and so the limited stocked really effected my ability to even USE the Sony. I found myself still buying books from the bookstore which totally defeated the purpose of even having an eReader.

I eventually made the break...sold my Sony and bought the Kindle.

The high points of the Kindle are the low points of the Sony. I love downloading on the fly, I love the ability to sample before I buy...those are the perks that the Sony doesn''t support. Not to mention that the Kindle library is huge.

I would say they don''t really measure up. Considering they are about the same price, I''d never go with anything other than Kindle.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this Tgal
35.gif
yes im still waiting for a price drop on the kindle - id like one for my bday in August and im holding out. And since the ipad has come on the market ive decided i wont buy the kindle til it goes down in price as its currently overpriced IMHO.

But i really do hope it comes down...ive already picked out my Elizabeth David cover
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
italia, thanks for taking the time for that. I was interested in the Sony too, but without the wireless download capability, I couldn''t buy it. The new version which does have wireless is I think $100 more than the Kindle, which at this point is very overpriced since there''s no real savings on so many ebooks now. I mean, the new Sookie book, when it finally became available is more than the hardcover on Amazon.

I had a feeling the Sony store would be lacking. But if it supports epub, couldn''t one use the B&N store, or any other store that has the same format?

Blackpaw, I hope the price comes down because it makes sense. But it may not if people perceive Kindle 2.0 to be more desirable than 3 and buy it up. I can''t imagine though that Kindle 3 is going to come out at $259...that would be a dumb move.

Honestly, if Amazon wants to play hardball with the publishers, they should give it away at cost. It would be a major loss now since they''re not making money on ebooks, but it could pave the way later for them to make big bucks and authors opt to give Amazon the ebook rights and forego a traditional publisher.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2010 8:05:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 6/1/2010 8:00:58 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

I''m the same BEG...I''d be hard pressed to upgrade from this one. I don''t surf the web on it, don''t make notes, nor do I read anything with graphics. If I hate the new one, I''d probably buy an old one as backup!!
Yeah. I don''t need anything smaller than the current model either. It fits perfectly in my winter coat pocket, and in my purse. And frankly I wouldn''t want it any thinner unless it was absolutely, positively sure to stay just as sturdy as this one. I definitely am hard on them!

I think the only way I might be tempted by a new one (eventually- I would wait til my K2 dies, as it will eventually I''m sure, with the hard use I give it) is if it had a bigger memory and longer battery life.

I would hate any bells & whistles though, most especially if they sucked battery life. I don''t want to do anything on it except read. And I would fear a thinner/smaller one for sure.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my Kindle 2 about 2 weeks ago. I agree completely, I wouldn''t change anything about it. The simpler (purer) the better for me. My only worry right now is that they will start only producing the 9 inch model. I might like to try that size some day, but generally, the 6 inch is just the right size and weight for me. I have arthritis that flares up and the Kindle is a godsend in that it doesn''t hurt to hold it or turn pages with either hand. I adore the font size adjustment feature, wow it makes a difference at night! Us older people can really benefit from this technology!
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still on the fence. How much do books cost? Is it the same price as you''d pay in the bookstore?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results