shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to learn how to make jewelry

mara82

Rough_Rock
I have had a passion for jewelry for as long as I can remember. I have made beaded and wire wrapped jewelry but would like to take my jewelry making hobby to the next level. Since I am a working professional, I can only dedicate some weekend time to learning this craft. I''m kinda lost as to how to start learning bench work and more complex forms of jewelry making. I haven''t been able to find any classes in my area and am wondering what is the best way to go about learning this new skill.

I would appreciate any resources of suggestions as to how to learn jewelry making and design.

Any tools, books, professionals I can contact? What methods would be best to learn first?

I live in the North Bay Area in California.

Thanks for your help.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you checked jewelry making publications such as Art Jewelry and Jewelry Artist for listings? I find it hard to believe that there aren''t any teachers in the Bay Area (by the way, Revere, one of the best schools, is in San Francisco).

If not, I would recommend a weekend workshop, even if it is farther away, to get you started and then going the self taught way. There are lots of wonderful books to help you (from project books to more theoretical approaches - I recommend a mix of both).

mara82

Rough_Rock
thanks so much for telling me about Reveer. I''m looking into doing some weekend classes. Looks like they have you start with fabrication.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/19/2010 11:47:35 PM
Author: mara82
thanks so much for telling me about Reveer. I''m looking into doing some weekend classes. Looks like they have you start with fabrication.
Sorry - I have been away (actually, I am still away but rain has forced to stay indoor today!). I am glad you are going to Revere. It is one amazing school and I am very, very jealous!

Fabrication is a great way to start, as you cover all the basic of metal working (forging, forming, soldering and finishing).

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I took a jewelry fabrication class that was about 5 weeks long for 4 hours. Very good intro, I can''t wait to do more. Each student produced 2-3 nice pieces. I got a very good handbook on technique. I''ll find the name for you tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results