shape
carat
color
clarity

new mattress

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as stated in the home remodeling and Ikea thread, remodeled our bedroom. I also wanted to also replace our mattress. Our bed had gotten so uncomfortable that last year got a latex 1.5" topper which made a world of difference. What I wanted to do this year is replace the mattress with another no frills firm flippable mattress, and continue to use the latex. So, went to store. Was informed that no longer making flippable mattresses since 2002 (so our mattress must be older than that). Tried a couple of firm mattresses, but actually preferred a "plush" one better, (simmons beautyrest bora bora plush). I am very intrigued about the seperate coils because sometimes when my husband gets into bed late he wakes me up and I have a hard time falling back to sleep.

We decided to buy it. In an ideal world maybe should have waited and gotten an all latex bed, but didn''t want to wait years (and years) to replace this bed. It will definitely be the nicest bed I''ve ever had. When I was growing up my twin bed was so lumpy I would often take my blanket and pillow and sleep on the floor instead. In college and years afterwards I had a futon. After that a spring mattress with no padding. Now that I''m older, I want a little cushioning for my joints. The main thing I''m worried about is whether it will last as long as a classic spring mattress. That is I don''t want 3 years from now it not feeling it is giving me support. It comes with a 10 year warranty and the store added another 5, so hopefully if it fails before then we can get it replaced.

masterbed.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW this is a picture of the old bed. The new one will be delivered this week.

rough_newbie

Rough_Rock
good luck with the new mattress.

although I am quite young (<30), I have learned that the quality/comfort of a bed is definitely one thing I will not overlook. When I went to buy my bed, I invested in a quality memory foam and it is AWESOME. I have a good night''s rest everynight. Likewise, i can have a bowl of soup lying next to me while I move around without it so much as moving an inch (great for when the SO or I get into bed later than the other). I even added another 1.5 memory foam topper just to protect the mattress itself as well. As I am in the midst of moving, I am going to trash the topper and buy a new one.

Have you compared latex vs. memory foam toppers and, if so, which would you recommend? TIA

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
PG- sounds like a nice mattress! I think if you have a warranty then you should be fine. Test it out and see how it feels. It''s amazing how much better you feel after a few weeks of sleeping on a good mattress!!!

Rough newbie--i just got a latex foam mattress and it''s wonderful. the nice thing about latex is it''s natural so no off-gassing like foam (foam is petroleum based) plus it does not harbor bacterial, heat or moisture the way foam is reported to. For me, it was the best choice. If you are shopping for a topper then a memory foam made of latex is the way to go IMO

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness you ladies are making me jealous. I moved in with SO a year ago and I HATE his mattress. Unfortunately the mattress is only 3 years old and we don''t really have the money at the moment to replace a perfectly good mattress, well perfectly good besides the whole comfort issue. Not to mention SO loves it so that would be a battle. I really like the idea of getting a latex mattress in a few years (perhaps as a joint wedding gift from some family members). I''m glad to hear you like yours jas. Part Gypsy - I agree with others that with a 15 year warranty you should feel secure in your purchase. Hope you enjoy it!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny about the memory foam versus latex. Last year when trying to salvage our bed I initially got a memory foam topper (2"). Pros was it was very cumphy feeling, con being I would have this inertia, hard to get out of bed in the morning. Also I was having some neckache the week we had it (could be I just didn''t have my pillows adjusted right for the change). Con was my husband refused to sleep on it, he hated how it felt. When I replaced it with a latex topper (1.5") he had no such complaints (liked it), and I didn''t have the problems I did with the memory foam. What I like about the latex is that it both cushions, but also "pushes up" if that makes any sense, you don''t sink into it. But I''ve heard other people swear by the memory foam.

I would have no problem getting an all latex bed, it''s just a sticker shock sort of thing.

My suspicion is that having a detachable topper that can be replaced out will increase the longevity/comfort of the bed. However with the increased height of the bed, unless I''m willing to get rid of all my sheets and buy deep ones, think I''m going to have to go without the topper.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We have a no frills firm mattress with a feather bed on top and looooove it! We also have a no-flip mattress, but we do rotate it every few months. We''ve had it since 2006 and so far so good! Considering we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, our mattress, pillows and bedding are at the top of our priority list. Almost nothing comes before the importance of a good night''s sleep!

Good luck with your new mattress!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I''m excited! It''s going to be delivered tonight!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results