shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Amethyste the Nail Guru!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Your brain is lush and teeming with knowledge that I must harvest, like a field of shimmers, frosts, jellies, cremes, chromes, glitters, and holos.
36.gif

I would love, LOVE, to have your thoughts on the various nail polishes, if you would be willing?

I''m a natural nail girl (rounded square, barely over the fingertip, very bendy and with a tendency to snap off the nail or piece of the nail), and I''ve just been getting into polishes in the last year or so. I find that I have less breakage when I am wearing polish, plus it''s just so fun!

OPI was my standby as it was so much better than the polishes I used as a teen, but polish has come a long way baby, and I''m timid to branch out. OPI has an iffy reputation online, and I''ve heard that China Glaze is comparable to OPI since OPI changed their formula, do you have any thoughts on this? Seche Vite has overhauled my polish habits (in a good way) but OPI still has me chipping in a day or two, as I type constantly all day at work and then at home as well, so my nail tips get hard wear. I used to get chipping within hours, but now I get a day or two with Seche Vite.

After reading a bit on OPI post-formula-change, I''m wondering if it''s them, not me?

Do you like China Glaze for a regular polish? Is there another brand you would recommend over CG or OPI?

I''ll be getting into Konads as soon as I''ve figured out which plates I want, as I fell in love with them while trying them out at a friend''s. Have you used them? They seem like a fun way to dress up my nails a bit, and the Seche Vite makes it possible without spending all day working on my nails.

What''s your favourite base coat? I''m planning on picking up CND''s Stickey Base Coat as my base and sticking with the Seche Vite for my topcoat. Do you have any tips on getting a cleanly polished nail? I have problems ''staying inside the lines'' and usually have to attack my cuticles and nail edges with remover so it doesn''t look like I got a manicure from a 5 year old hepped on sugar. It''s rough on my cuticles, though, as I need to swap out my polish every 2 days either from chipping or boredom. I try to keep them moisturized, but I think I need some sort of cuticle trimming.

I mostly go for edgier polishes, like OPI''s Black Cherry Chutney, Big Apple Red, Nfu Oh''s 52 over a black basecoat, and when I''m going low-key I do Pamplona Purple, or I''m Not Really A Waitress. I like blues and duochromes, but they look better on my toes and it''s best that I keep to reds and warm shades for my nails. I like the look of a dark nail, but I already wear a fair bit of black and grey and am afraid to appear too gothy for worth. The Chutney is a gorgeous colour in the bottle and in the sunlight, but is just too black indoors to be a good work colour. I''ve been thinking of branching out into greys as another dark-but-not-black option. Online swatches can help, but you never know how they''ll turn out in person. What are your favourite colours for polish? Any must-haves?

I''ll also be getting a french mani tips Konad plate, so I''d like to get a good french mani base (never know when you''ll need a classic nail) but there are SO MANY nude/pink/french bases out there that I have NO idea where to start! I''m not super into pinks, but I''d like an elegant french mani colour. Any thoughts?

Also, I''d like to say that I have such respect for the ladies in this profession. Manicures take SKILL! (re: 5 year old on sugar reference) I bow before your tremendous talents- I curse like a sailor when I''m doing my nails!
2.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2010 9:23:48 PM
Author:Galateia
Your brain is lush and teeming with knowledge that I must harvest, like a field of shimmers, frosts, jellies, cremes, chromes, glitters, and holos.
36.gif

Haha!!! Isn''t it fun to try different things? I know I could spend a fortune in polishes and all that jazz :)

I would love, LOVE, to have your thoughts on the various nail polishes, if you would be willing?

I''d love to! After many years or trial and errors, I came to my own favorites... Bear in mind that 80% of my clientele do french manicures. And with the Shellac ( from Creative Nail Designs ) hybrid gel/polish, you can paint your nails, yes PAINT your nails and it will last for 2 weeks. No nicks, no rips... I am not kidding, it is one of THE best thing that has ever happenend for a nail tech and all of their clients that moan and groan after seeing their first chip within 2 days. But it is a service you''ll need to get at a salon, not for the public to get at Sally''s.... Yet. I am sure something similar will come, and when it does, my carreer might just end .
39.gif

I''m a natural nail girl (rounded square, barely over the fingertip, very bendy and with a tendency to snap off the nail or piece of the nail), and I''ve just been getting into polishes in the last year or so. I find that I have less breakage when I am wearing polish, plus it''s just so fun!

OPI was my standby as it was so much better than the polishes I used as a teen, but polish has come a long way baby, and I''m timid to branch out. OPI has an iffy reputation online, and I''ve heard that China Glaze is comparable to OPI since OPI changed their formula, do you have any thoughts on this? Seche Vite has overhauled my polish habits (in a good way) but OPI still has me chipping in a day or two, as I type constantly all day at work and then at home as well, so my nail tips get hard wear. I used to get chipping within hours, but now I get a day or two with Seche Vite.

You know, people loooooooooooooove OPI, I never did. I don''t like the scent, the wearability is not as good as other polishes out there. My ultimate favorite is Essie. At least, for french manicures, the pinks are very nice and not streaky. Try "Mademoiselle", "Room with a View", "Pink Glove Service", "Sugar Daddy" for super natural french and their White. As for the base coat, I have been using FOR YEARS the "Orly Bonder", it is amber and neutralize off colors on a nail plate, just like a foundation on facial skin :). I love it, it seems to work really well and combined with the Essie "Good to Go!" top coat, it really works for longer manicures. Some of my clients can get 8-9 days without chips, but then the color starts crackling and weird coloring starts to anchor itself to the topcoat and looks "yellow"ish. To get a pretty hard dry finish, it only takes about 6 mins in the dryer.

I don''t really use China Glaze, Zoya, OPI, even Orly Nail polishes... I am not fond of them, and for the price they cost, I''d rather get the Essie in all honesty. I USED to apply Seche before, but it gets thick SO quickly, I get more use from the Essie "Good To Go!" for the same price ( it''s even cheaper ) so for me, it is a pretty good set-up :) I guess, to me, it''s more how you clean the nail plate for the polish than the polish itself ( well that is tru to a certain degree ), so after you push the cuticles, trim them, make sure you lightly buff the top on your nail ( with a block that has a 420+ grit ) to remove fine grooves, and then apply a dehydrator such as A.S.P - Prep N''Clean Dehydrant ( found at Sally''s ), or even 100% alcohol applied with a small craft brush, is just fine! Take your time, and to fix any oooopsie on the cuticle if you color out of your lines, get a very small/delicate pointed or squared craft brush dipped into 100% acetone and erase away! No shame in that!

After reading a bit on OPI post-formula-change, I''m wondering if it''s them, not me?

Could very well be them, maybe your chemistry and theirs is not a good match... Could be you: a still oily nail plate, your body chemistry is changing ( approaching your menopause can cause that ), could be high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, anti-depressant meds or any-kind-of-meds, your hands are in water a lot... there are just so many things to factor in, it''s hard to point at the culprit!

I''ll be getting into Konads as soon as I''ve figured out which plates I want, as I fell in love with them while trying them out at a friend''s. Have you used them? They seem like a fun way to dress up my nails a bit, and the Seche Vite makes it possible without spending all day working on my nails.

That is the nail printing gadget right? :) It looks fun, but I have not looked into that, and quite frankly, there is not much demand ( at least with my clientele ) for this sort of thing worth looking into it as an add-on to my services

What''s your favourite base coat? I''m planning on picking up CND''s Stickey Base Coat as my base and sticking with the Seche Vite for my topcoat. Do you have any tips on getting a cleanly polished nail? I have problems ''staying inside the lines'' and usually have to attack my cuticles and nail edges with remover so it doesn''t look like I got a manicure from a 5 year old hepped on sugar. It''s rough on my cuticles, though, as I need to swap out my polish every 2 days either from chipping or boredom. I try to keep them moisturized, but I think I need some sort of cuticle trimming.

Ahhhh yes, those darn cuticles!!! Get yourself a little cuticle nippers and practice... and go slow. I remember my first days at nail school, we all had bloody cuticles cause we went too fast and too far! Boy, I learned fast!!!! a little goes a long way. Just soak your hand in warm water for about 5 mins and then take an orange woodstick and push the cuticles gently. Whatever is hanging, you can trim. Whatever is WHITE you can trim. Whatever is pink, you''ll bleed! Cuticles have to be cared for in order to get a nice looking manicures... I often see girls painting over their overgrown-taken-over-the-nail cuticles and it looks just goofy lol. Go slow, in no time, you''ll be a pro! :) Get yourself nice cuticle oil and use it... it will help your mani to stay fresh and your cuticle moisturized. Cream and lotions are for the skin. Cuticle oil is for... cuticles! Cream doesn''t penetrate nearly as good as oil for that delicate area. THat''s my observation.

I mostly go for edgier polishes, like OPI''s Black Cherry Chutney, Big Apple Red, Nfu Oh''s 52 over a black basecoat, and when I''m going low-key I do Pamplona Purple, or I''m Not Really A Waitress. I like blues and duochromes, but they look better on my toes and it''s best that I keep to reds and warm shades for my nails. I like the look of a dark nail, but I already wear a fair bit of black and grey and am afraid to appear too gothy for worth. The Chutney is a gorgeous colour in the bottle and in the sunlight, but is just too black indoors to be a good work colour. I''ve been thinking of branching out into greys as another dark-but-not-black option. Online swatches can help, but you never know how they''ll turn out in person. What are your favourite colours for polish? Any must-haves?

Well I love these Essies: After Sex ( kinda like the "I''m noy really a waitress from OPI" ) - Catwalk ( pretty pink/red light light shimmery hue ) - Very Cranberry ( matte rich cranberry color ) - Priceless ( dark deep brown with delicate/fine glitter ) - Santa Fe Mauve ( matte finish rosey color - looks good on everyone! ) Those are my must-haves, my clients love them and use them regularly on either their hands or toes :)

Also, I''d like to say that I have such respect for the ladies in this profession. Manicures take SKILL! (re: 5 year old on sugar reference) I bow before your tremendous talents- I curse like a sailor when I''m doing my nails!
2.gif

yes!!!! I hate doing my own nails too! What a chore!!!!

I hope this helps a little bit... Please let me know if you need anything else, and I''ll re-post after the switch is done - in case you don''t see this post before it happens!!! Sorry I took so long to reply - i just couldn''t log onto Ps for a while!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
You are such a sweetheart!
30.gif

Thank you on the tips! And your career will never end, because all the ladies at work marvel at my stupidity for doing my own nails, because they don''t have the patience to do it themselves and my nails never look as good as theirs!
3.gif
Many of the ladies at work consider their manicures to be ''the'' time where they go and get pampered instead of them being the ones always doing the pampering!

Is it better to get a cuticle nipper or cutter? What''s the difference between a half-jaw and full jaw?
33.gif

Is there a specific one I should be looking at? I am ordering a bunch of polishes on TransDesign.com and am looking at the cuticle cutter there- I am so lost!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a total threadjack but I just had a manicure and I hate how they shaped my nails. I have naturally very round nail beds (can''t think of the term-smile?) so they look best with rounded tips. I wasn''t even paying attention this afternoon during the mani and the guy shaped them straight across like acrylics. They. look. fake!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 9:43:17 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
This is a total threadjack but I just had a manicure and I hate how they shaped my nails. I have naturally very round nail beds (can''t think of the term-smile?) so they look best with rounded tips. I wasn''t even paying attention this afternoon during the mani and the guy shaped them straight across like acrylics. They. look. fake!

Eeesh, that''s just insult to injury to have real nails look fake! I know squared nails are trendy, but I dislike how fake they look.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
When I did my nails with gels, i like them truly squared, with pretty sharp corners
9.gif

That was my secret weapon when i had clients that moved all the time, just a little squeeze and they wouldn''t move. lol... just kidding ;-)

on natural nails, I like the square-oval edges... when your nails are more rounded, you put all the pressure of the nail plate toward the tip of the free edge and it''s, in theory, easier to break/snap. when they are somwhat squared, the pressure is evened out and help more fragile nail to survive... :)

don''t get the cuticle scissors, trust me, you''ll end up with a bloody mess!!! For fingers I use a 1/2 jaw, its 1/2 the size of a full one and there is less problems to try to reach the smallest areas and nip only what you need. With a full one, I usually use it on toes. :)

In all honesty, I get my nippers at TJMaxx, they have the "earth" ones and they are only 3.99 or i think maybe 9.99? and they work well and last long. I go through nippers fast and paying $50 for one pair is just not on my list of things I have to buy!

H_H, you should take a trip to my place ( 45 mins right? ) and I''ll give you a shellac!!! :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 9:43:17 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
This is a total threadjack but I just had a manicure and I hate how they shaped my nails. I have naturally very round nail beds (can't think of the term-smile?) so they look best with rounded tips. I wasn't even paying attention this afternoon during the mani and the guy shaped them straight across like acrylics. They. look. fake!

I've had two manicures and the lady did that during the second one. I've never had one again! I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get them round again. Somewhat square nails look good on some people (though not me), but I don't like the super straight across nails on anybody.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 10:01:22 PM
Author: Amethyste
When I did my nails with gels, i like them truly squared, with pretty sharp corners
9.gif

That was my secret weapon when i had clients that moved all the time, just a little squeeze and they wouldn''t move. lol... just kidding ;-)

on natural nails, I like the square-oval edges... when your nails are more rounded, you put all the pressure of the nail plate toward the tip of the free edge and it''s, in theory, easier to break/snap. when they are somwhat squared, the pressure is evened out and help more fragile nail to survive... :)

don''t get the cuticle scissors, trust me, you''ll end up with a bloody mess!!! For fingers I use a 1/2 jaw, its 1/2 the size of a full one and there is less problems to try to reach the smallest areas and nip only what you need. With a full one, I usually use it on toes. :)

In all honesty, I get my nippers at TJMaxx, they have the ''earth'' ones and they are only 3.99 or i think maybe 9.99? and they work well and last long. I go through nippers fast and paying $50 for one pair is just not on my list of things I have to buy!

H_H, you should take a trip to my place ( 45 mins right? ) and I''ll give you a shellac!!! :)

Yeah, I like to rounded square over the sharp square. Are the nippers on TransDesign scissors? It will be easier for me to order them with my batch of polishes than to get to TJMaxx as I don''t drive and I already have to pry my SO out of the house with a crowbar just to get groceries.

Is there a set from this site you would recommend? Are the ''nippers'' considered scissors, or are scissors something else? I have no idea what I am doing, haha!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The girls here who do my nails all have really nice nails. I don''t know how they do it! In the states the manicurists I went to all had the worst nails! lol I''ve never had such perfectionism as I have had here. They use opi and I think it''s overrated as well. The dark colors tend to look like they need a 3rd coat even though you know it would be way too thick. The light colors... I dunno.

When I go back to the states this summer I''m going to stock up on a few things... Essie you say? Where can you get that? Any other brands?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Gala -

I recommend these tools:

MEHAZ Cuticle Nipper #888 - the 1/2 jaw ( the 1/4 is TINY!!! and won''t last as long ) - they are under "nippers"

OPI Pusher PLus - under "pushers" - I have had mine for 15 years and it is still working great!!!

THat is a cool website!! :)

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 10:57:59 PM
Author: Amethyste
Gala -

I recommend these tools:

MEHAZ Cuticle Nipper #888 - the 1/2 jaw ( the 1/4 is TINY!!! and won''t last as long ) - they are under ''nippers''

OPI Pusher PLus - under ''pushers'' - I have had mine for 15 years and it is still working great!!!

THat is a cool website!! :)

Thanks! This site is dangerous! I''m ordering some polishes for two of my friends, but most of the order is mine, and with the nippers it''s over $100!
6.gif
But I''ve picked up so many great polishes for a great price. The Essie polishes are more pricey at 8.00- is that a good price compared to their retail cost? I''ve never bought essie polishes before, but Mademoiselle has me pining for it!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 11:08:34 PM
Author: Galateia
I''m ordering some polishes for two of my friends, but most of the order is mine, and with the nippers it''s over $100!
6.gif
But I''ve picked up so many great polishes for a great price. The Essie polishes are more pricey at 8.00- is that a good price compared to their retail cost? I''ve never bought essie polishes before, but Mademoiselle has me pining for it!

I know the Essie polishes are more $$$, but the quality ( in my opinion ) is worth the price. Just buy one! And the Mademoiselle is my favorite to do frenchies with. I put the Mademoiselle on the bottom ( 1st layer ) then I do the white tip, then finish with "Pink Glove Service" and top coat... It''s very pretty!!!!

I buy the polishes for less, of course with my trade license - at my distributor, but $8 - I think it is what they sell it for in salons :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 10:50:41 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
The girls here who do my nails all have really nice nails. I don''t know how they do it! In the states the manicurists I went to all had the worst nails! lol I''ve never had such perfectionism as I have had here. They use opi and I think it''s overrated as well. The dark colors tend to look like they need a 3rd coat even though you know it would be way too thick. The light colors... I dunno.

When I go back to the states this summer I''m going to stock up on a few things... Essie you say? Where can you get that? Any other brands?

Cera - You can get Essie polishes at salons, on the net...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ammy, I''ll let you know the next time I''m up in NH!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Amythest--I KNOW how difficult the state boards are--I tutored a couple of girls thru it...you have my total respect!!!!

Do yoU have any experience with Joan Rivers nail polish? I have some of them and I absolutely love them....they are beautiful colors and they LAST!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I managed to get to TJ Maxx and got the nippers! There was only one pair, 3.99, and they''re by ''earth therapeutics'' so I assumed that was the right ones! I''ve treated and pushed down my cuticles, and very conservatively nipped the drier parts but I''m afraid to touch the parts that have curled up from being pushed down. If that makes sense? I can''t tell if they are ''pink'' or ''white'' and I don''t want to bleed!
3.gif

I was able to go because it was on the way home and I lured SO with the prospect of me buying $20 nippers online instead
27.gif
He found the patience to take me to TJ Maxx after all!

I am so excited to get my TD order. Despite having what SO considers a large collection of polishes, I never feel like I have ''anything to wear''. I''ve bought a craft brush for the cleanup- I''ll give you a trip report when I am done!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m nervous about getting online - colors can be so off. Being in China doesn''t make the purchasing any easier either :/

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 8:56:03 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I''m nervous about getting online - colors can be so off. Being in China doesn''t make the purchasing any easier either :/

Swatch blogs! There are a ton of ladies who do action shots of different polishes. I used mollyhell on flickr for most of mine.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 6:22:44 PM
Author: Amber St. Clare
Amythest--I KNOW how difficult the state boards are--I tutored a couple of girls thru it...you have my total respect!!!!

Do yoU have any experience with Joan Rivers nail polish? I have some of them and I absolutely love them....they are beautiful colors and they LAST!

I have not experienced the JR polishes... I stay away from Celebrities stuff in general. I am glad you love them and they last! THat''s a nice thing in a polish! :) Ugh the boards were horrific - they made me polish a hand with red STANDING UP with no touch ups allowed and same with a french on the other hand!!! Who does manicures standing up?!
32.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 7:47:50 PM
Author: Galateia
I managed to get to TJ Maxx and got the nippers! There was only one pair, 3.99, and they''re by ''earth therapeutics'' so I assumed that was the right ones! I''ve treated and pushed down my cuticles, and very conservatively nipped the drier parts but I''m afraid to touch the parts that have curled up from being pushed down. If that makes sense? I can''t tell if they are ''pink'' or ''white'' and I don''t want to bleed!
3.gif

I was able to go because it was on the way home and I lured SO with the prospect of me buying $20 nippers online instead
27.gif
He found the patience to take me to TJ Maxx after all!

I am so excited to get my TD order. Despite having what SO considers a large collection of polishes, I never feel like I have ''anything to wear''. I''ve bought a craft brush for the cleanup- I''ll give you a trip report when I am done!

Doing/cutting a little at a time is a good way to practice and see "how far" you can go!!! I usually do a little squeeze and if I feel a pinch, I know it will bleed so I back off a little and then nip :) Do you like these nippers? I know I do!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Trip report!

I have had my polish on for 4 days before it began to chip, which was a new record! In fact, it didn''t really chip so much as wear away on the edges, probably due to the constant pounding they get from me typing while enraged for 8 hours a day!
41.gif

I''m posting this update because the Seche Vite has stopped my index nails from breaking!!! This is HUGE for me. My index fingernails are the most rounded, bendy, and fragile of all my nails. They''re usually the ones that snap off at the corners, and then the resulting tear just goes right across my nail. Well, the Seche Vite had worn off at the corner, so the corner snapped off, but it was a clean break and it couldn''t progress across the nail because the Seche Vite stopped it in it''s tracks! All I have to do is file the other side to match, and because it follows the shape of the wear, it''s just narrowing the breadth of the nail instead of taking a big chunk out of it. I am SO thrilled!

Also, my giant order of polishes from TD are en route. Come to me, my pretties!
27.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results