shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! M colored earrings?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
What do you think about the color? Is the color less important because the diamonds will be earrings? Going down to M is the only way I can afford the size I want but I don''t want them to be obviously tinted. I know a J looks super white to me so I don''t know what to think.

Suggestions, personal experiences, and pictures are welcome
1.gif

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what size?

I''d love Ms in older cuts, in any size
30.gif

In modern cuts smaller diamonds would probably look white enough, but I would hesitate with larger RBs - say, 1ct or larger - esp. if you plan to set them in white metal. I think if Js are super white for you it''s something to look into!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I love the warmth of lower color diamonds, but I have dark brown hair and warm undertones in my skin so the added color in the stone is quite flattering against my skin. If your hair is very dark, that will help the diamonds appear to be whiter in the ear.

But I also have some colorless diamonds which I LOVE for the icy flashes on a bright day or in a well-lit space. There is nothing like the dance of light on a well-cut stone! But if you aren''t feeling sure, I''d recommend that you go to a local jeweler to look at a few stones of different color grades, holding each up to your ear so that you can see how they look against your skin and hair.

In this case, seeing is believing. You''ll know what you want when you see it. :D

Good luck on your decision!

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
It''s difficult for me to see any warm stones because whenever I finally get my hands on any, they are not certified (so I''m unsure what GIA would cert them) and I am not able to take them to normal lighting.

Each stone would be between .5 and .75, but I would prefer .75 each
31.gif
. My hair is black and I have olive skin, that''s something to consider that I have never thought about. I think setting them in unplated white gold would be great too.

Yssie, where can I find some loose old cuts? I should look into those too...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I had a GIA certed pear cut (1.5ct, if I remember correctly). It was a soft white, very pretty colour and it got a lot more compliments than my whiter stones ever get. I would be fine with M coloured studs if they are nicely cut, and if you can buy them with a good return policy, why not give them a go? J looks plenty white to me, too. I am more colour sensitive than I thought, but I really do like warmer colours better.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic of my OMC - it''s an L, but that isn''t a GIA grade.

oipjfh08wyhfo.JPG

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Ah! Here''s the pear. Sorry it''s a small pic, I can''t find the pics I took of it - this one is from the vendor (DBL).

I traded this one up a couple of years ago and I miss it. It was 1.69ct, not 1.5, but it is a GIA M with no fluoresence.

kaljhiuohhjlfs.jpg

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 4:30:48 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Here''s a pic of my OMC - it''s an L, but that isn''t a GIA grade.
Oh and yes, I did get the wonky prongs fixed.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 1:08:15 AM
Author:Zappy
What do you think about the color? Is the color less important because the diamonds will be earrings? Going down to M is the only way I can afford the size I want but I don''t want them to be obviously tinted. I know a J looks super white to me so I don''t know what to think.

Suggestions, personal experiences, and pictures are welcome
1.gif

Thanks!
Hi Zappy

Really an inspection period would be essential, I would take well cut M''s no problem, I love the '' antique white'' hue of these stones but in some lights they can show more warmth than others so make sure you have a good return policy and that the stones are well cut. Post all the proportions of each here if you can then we can help you get an idea of the cut quality.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!!

Mrs Mitchell, thanks for the pictures.

I will be sure to post specs when I am ready to put them on hold.

1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Would these be OECs or modern brilliants? and if modern, would they be BGD or another ideal cut?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
I slept on it and I think they would be modern. There aren''t BGD M colored stones, are there? I believe I will just get decent cut GIAs. I''m afraid to post specifics for now, but one that I''m interested in is triple ex and scores 2.2 on the HCA while the other is a VG cut that scores <2 within the AGS lines on the HCA. Considering they are earrings, I feel they are a great cut, but now I have to be a bit pickier because of the color.
28.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My 3 1/2 ct Old European cut e-ring is an M color. An M will show a bit of color face-up. I found that bezeling mine, and not having any contrasting side stones, made it face up much whiter than it had with a halo setting. In most lights in the setting it's in now, it's a softer steely white, but not yellowish IMO. If i put it right next to a D color you can see that the M is tinted at a glance. Alone, not so much, it just looks white- not a stark white but a softer white.

If you really don't want to see *any* color, an M might have too much color for you. They do have a slight tint face up, they don't look bright-bright white. Personally I love it in old cuts and have no problem with seeing a bit of color, but YMMV
1.gif

(You can probably find some pics of my stone in both settings if you search the topics I started.)

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
i think M colored older cuts are gorgeous. i would love to one day own a 3ct M AVC.
30.gif

don''t forget to post your pair of Ms if you get them!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It depends. If you want them to look "white" I don''t think I''d go below J. But I like lower colors best- to me, M would be great. To me, O is about perfect. Go figure.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I''d be happy with M studs in that size, frankly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results