shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about 10K Jewelry?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I mean 10 karat gold, not $10K jewelry.

Some people I know look down on the 10K yg rings I have, telling me how "it is so cheap to wear 10K pieces as they are no better than fake ones". I was very surprised to hear that 10K gold got such a bad rep for some people.

Do you also find 10K jewelry "bothersome"?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
For me it''s all about how expensive the stone in the jewelry (assuming there''s a stone). I have a ring with a very cheap ammy set in 10k gold - the stone is hardly worth anything, so I don''t mind that the gold is only 10k.

If I had a diamond or expensive colored stone, I would go with higher quality gold or even platinum. I guess I feel like the metal should match the cost of the stone - expensive stone, expensive metal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t have a problem with it at all.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
gold in grades other than 14, 18 and 24k is common in other areas of the world and has been very common at different times in history. I think 10k is quite common in quality jewelry in Australia, but I could be wrong, that''s just a random mental blip.

But yes, as a rule for jewelry of quality or what I consider "good" jewelry I tend to stick to 14k and higher.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a problem seeing even 14k as "real gold", honestly - been spoilt by all the Indian 22/24k, I suppose!

That said, I think everything has its place. I like 14k for earrings - it's inexpensive and more importantly it's light. 10k is more alloy than gold, I wouldn't use it for a quality piece, and I'd avoid 10k rose gold entirely as it has been known to tarnish.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy whatever you like, be it 10K gold, I3 clarity-enhanced-fractured filled diamonds, CZs or whatev!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I prefer 18k and up. Its not exactly bothersome, though, because I don''t come across it often.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can you visually tell the difference between 10K, 14K, 18K, etc?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think elitism in metals is really overrated. REALLY overrated. I would like to see more use of interesting things like purple and blue coppers... blackened steel... 10k gold is not a problem. I have a bracelet in 10k and it''s perfectly fine.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I do not think a metal is inferior because of the price, it''s all in the design of the piece. I have a peridot set in a sterling bezel that showcases that stone so well, it''s beautiful! The color or texture of the metal is just another part of the design to me. I do have a very good friend that is like what you are talking about though, I wear a james avery cross most of the time and she is horrified that I , gasp!!! wear sterling silver!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s one thing to be "elite" about metals, and another to be "elite" about purity of any given metal. For example I have no issue with sterling and I will choose gold over platinum every time, but I don''t like low-karat gold.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We put our diamonds in titanium, which is super duper cheapo compared to gold or platinum.
It is as elite as 0 kt gold.
9.gif

The money saved by avoiding precious metals allows a little better diamond.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 1:40:11 AM
Author: kenny
We put our diamonds in titanium, which is super duper cheapo compared to gold or platinum.
It is as elite as 0 kt gold.
9.gif

The money saved by avoiding precious metals allows a little better diamond.
Kenny, you plebian

11.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, dang.
It''s off to the dictionary. . .again.
39.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t mind 10k gold, or even 9k as is fairly common in the UK. If it was a white gold piece with rhodium plating, I would actively seek out the 9k and spend the difference on the diamond.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I don''t care about the karat weight personally.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 10:25:23 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Can you visually tell the difference between 10K, 14K, 18K, etc?
If it''s rhodium plated white gold - no. I lined up my rhodium plated SS, 10k, 14k, and 18k in a row. They all look the same. I''ve also noticed that the rhodium wears the same on all of them too. I am picky about yellow gold - I only like 18k.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i think 10k gold is glorified costume jewelry......and i''m ok with lovely pieces of costume jewelry when/if the mood strikes me and i really like a piece....usually a pin. for me rings are 18k or higher.

mz

ps other parts of the world have their own preferences: india - 22k or higher gold; ireland has a lot of 10k. each to their own preference, imo.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
No, I do not have a problem with it. I have a few pieces in 10k (mostly yellow gold). I actually like that the yellow is more muted than in 14k or 18k alloys as it goes better with my skin tone. I have a few old family pieces that are also 10k that I enjoy. We don't exactly have generational stones and such in my family as it is not a wealthy one by any means....and a few bits of 10k jewelery will have to do! Generally in North America 10k though IS used in other-than-fine jewelery and I probably would not go for it for my fine jewelery - as I don't need to. Not as I find it bothersome.

I don't get too worried about the "purity" aspect of metals and such. I would choose gold over platinum or palladium and so on knowing gold of course is alloyed with other metals like nickel, copper, zincs, silvers and so on.....all are metals so I don't get too worried about it. Then again, sacrilege, I don't get too caught up on the natural vs. man-made stone debate either. If it is pretty and well cut, and I like it, and everyone is honest about it, then I don't really worry too much about it.

I do prefer the WEIGHT of 18k though, and for my wedding set I wanted 18k (white gold). However, as I do not like plating, I went for a palladium alloy.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not a metal purist: I wear titanium, copper (as long as it doesn''t touch my skin, which goes an interesting shade of green) and silver is one of my favourites. But I am not fond of very low karat gold, as the colour looks rather meh.

However, wear it with pride if you like it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t even have any extremely expensive jewelry, so I''m not exactly in the position to be super exclusive to high-end, but still, I kind of feel that 10K (as MZ posted) is more along the lines of costume jewelry rather than something I''d set a diamond in. I''d be more inclined to have a sterling piece with a diamond rather than 10K.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
ZhuZhu, don''t worry about what other people think about your pieces, just buy what makes you happy!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i like all shades of gold, so this is a-ok with me
1.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
10k reminds me of kid's jewellery because I used to work at a place that sold lots of it.

It makes me a little sad that 10k yg looks so washed-out next to 18k yg, and 10k earrings bother my ears (14k too
8.gif
).
That 10k is less than half gold is a bit of a mind-clean issue, but all in all I think it just squeaks into the low end of the fine jewellery category.

If I saw a beautiful ring, necklace, watch, or bracelet in 10k I would buy it.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
All my gold is white gold. I gets yellow after a few years, but I take it in and they make it white again. I like it just fine. I was told years ago waaaay before PS that 10K gold is harder than 18 or 24K because it does have more alloy in it. If I see something I like I wouldnt not get it because it was 10K. If someone perfers the white color then wouldnt 10K be better since it is stronger?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If the color is yellow gold, I can wear it. It is harder, less likely to scratch. Jewelry that I have had in 10K yellow gold appears to be darker, giving it a vintage/antique look. I like that patina and look, as long as the piece is not a modern design.

A lot of antique jewelry will be 10K.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a problem with 10k gold, my right hand stacking rings are both 10k white and I wear them daily.

I do prefer a higher ct gold for my nicer peices, my pendant is 14ct and wedding set will be 18ct white.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I wear white metal so I have zero problems with 10k. After it''s plated, it all looks the same to me. (and I prefer the look of rhodium to platinum because it''s much whiter.)

For yellow gold, the color is bad for me to begin with but higher karat does make it look a bit better so I would avoid 10kyg for that reason alone.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I chose a 10k college class ring because I had read that it was harder and wanted the design on the ring to last a lifetime. Generally, I would prefer higher purity, but not because I care what others think... it''s not like they could get a magnifying lens out and see the inside of my ring to check the stamp!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to gold content. I assume 10K means lesser quality stones and less attention to detail in the workmanship. Yes it can be longer-wearing than 14K (depending on the alloy mix, I suppose) but I''ve yet to have a piece of 14K wear out on me so that''s just not an issue. I have no problem with other metals and I own a lot of sterling silver. I come by my gold snobbery honestly by the way -- via my grandmother, who brought each of her grandchildren a nice piece of 24K jewelry the one time we were fortunate enough to have her visit the U.S.
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results