shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did price of going to platinum drop $280 in one day?

jbell157

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone
First time poster but I have been using this forum to gather info for awhile. Yesterday my fiance went to D Gellar and Son to buy wedding bands. I love Tacori...just a preference in style and found the wedding band that I wanted. It was $1460 for 18k wg and we were told it would be $2080 to go with platinum. We were in a hurry to get to a baseball game so we said we would think about it and come back. Then they proceeded to tell us if we bought this ring now they would give my fiance his for free, which would only be $100. We still said no thanks but we would be back Sunday or Monday. We started to walk out and the manager rushed out to meet us and said if we would buy now they would give us a $350 store credit. He started saying that Tacori was set in their prices and there was nothing they could do blah blah blah...so we'll help you out buy giving you a credit. Well my fiance couldn't say no to that and we were going to purchase it any way so we said what they h*ll.
When the store manager started writing up the order he said so the platinum was $2080 and I said no we were going to go with the white gold...he looked extremely taken aback. He then said excuse me and rushed over to the sales person who was helping us and had a hushed conversation. My fiance and I knew there had been a mistake and that they had offered us the $300 credit thinking we were going to buy platinum. After two or three minutes he came and proceeded to tell us that we were getting an amazing deal. So we bought the ring and went home. The confusion set in today.
I was doing some research because I have a platinum engagement ring and I was trying to see what the difference between platinum and white gold are. I then discovered that wg has nickel in it, which I am allergic to...so I really wanted to switch to platinum just to be safe. So I called the jewlery store back and asked if it was possible to change to platinum and they said yes because the order hadn't been placed. So he said he would look up the price in platinum....he said it would be $1800 which would be a difference of $340 and that we could pay the balance when we picked it up. Well needless to say I was confused. I proceeded to give him all of my info again to double check and make sure he had the correct order...he said he did!
What I want to know is why on earth did the price of going to platinum drop from $2080 to $1800 in the course of one day???? I'm a little upset because I feel like they tried to trick us...even though apparently we got the better of them. Just wanted to know if anyone had encountered anything like this or had any opinions on the situation. Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks for your help!
Jess

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PS!

The price of platinum didn''t drop that much in one day - sounds like the Real price of the ring is $1800, and the inflated "jumping off point" price was $2080 (on that day anyway)!
It is just typical B&M pushy / dodgy sales tactics. Start with an inflated price, hope that the consumer doesn''t know their stuff and try to bargain, say its a one day only offer if they do bargain, pressure you to buy, and so on, etc etc..

So, it would seem that his comment about the "set in stone Tacori prices" was not so true after all huh?

Honestly, it sounds like you came off getting a good and pretty fair deal, so I would not worry about it.
This is one of the rare occasions where this would happen (the consumer "beating" the B&M), so just be grateful!
I also think it was good of him to honour that offer for the $350 store credit - most places probably would''ve reneged once they realized they were mistaken..

I would of course make doubley-sure when you go in there hasn''t been a mistake on the model or anything, because that is a huge drop...but at the same time, I wouldn''t want to draw too much attention to it
11.gif
2.gif

Hope you enjoy your new rings!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I did read they recently found a way to make tungsten behave like platinum in catalytic converters which should cause a big reduction in the price of platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results