shape
carat
color
clarity

My trip to BGD - I picked a setting!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I met with Brian a couple days ago to discuss settings for my this thread.

First, I chose to get a full circle eternity w-band from Leon. I am happy with my choice of band, but was a bit nervous about going full circle. Brian totally put my mind to ease about that. Because of my body type (tall, thin) and the fact that my mother lost her baby weight very quickly, he said I have a low likelihood of having problems (that is what I thought being the OB's have said I probably won't have weight issues, but it was nice to hear it from a jeweler). Of course, he wanted me to do my wedding band with him
2.gif
, but he was nice about it.

He than helped me to express what I wanted in general terms, and it became clear I wanted a setting that let my stone be the star. He told me with the band I was getting, a solitaire was the way to go.

Than he explained to me his different options. He didn't have too many settings to show me. But he had a Grace and a modified Tiffany setting, so I got to see the Tiffany head. I also learned about how the settings were made. They are all made custom to the diamond, he does not have any stock settings. Some (e.g. the Novela head) are made by hand, and some are made with the computer. The Grace is actually once piece, and the Tiffany is a head and a shank that are put together.

I also saw an amazing finished shared prong band....whoever is getting that is one lucky girl.

So after all was said and done, I was between the Grace and the Tiffany half round. I saw an unset Grace, and I have had my concerns about it for my stone (because my stone is not that large). But the setting is far more beautiful in person than it is in photos. It is very thin (the prongs had not even been shaved down and it was thin) and very well made. I expressed my concerns about height, and he put my ring and the Grace next to each other, and they were the same height!!! Mine just looks higher I guess. In the end, I think the Grace setting will let my stone stand out. The Tiffany just had too much metal for me on the side (I like the fact that my diamond has no yellow when I tilt it to the side, and don't want to hide that).

He also asked about details about my Leon band so that he could match the ring to it.

I wanted to have the ring for the weekend to show my friend (my MOH) which was the real reason I went to Houston. So he met me on Sunday 3 hours before his flight to Belgium so that I could have the ring for the weekend, that was so nice! It would have been a shame to not have been able to show off the ring, and if I shipped it by registered mail, I would not have been done in time for my engagement pics.

Overall great experience, and so happy to have made a decision on both my e-ring and wedding band.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You went with my fave
2.gif

Can''t wait to see pics!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:31:54 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You went with my fave
2.gif

Can''t wait to see pics!!!

Thanks! He said about 10 days, but no details have been worked out yet. I just gave him the ring, he gave me a receipt and I left because I knew he was on a tight schedule. I just read another thread that their e-mail is down. So I am sure I will be working with Leslie once it comes up.

The only thing that I don''t know what to do about is engraving. They only have very basic block print engraving. My FI is getting a yellow gold band. Since our bands won''t match, I wanted to do something on the inside. But now I am wondering if I will have to find another jeweler to do that.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:28:01 PM
Author:LtlFirecracker
I am happy with my choice of band, but was a bit nervous about going full circle. Brian totally put my mind to ease about that. Because of my body type (tall, thin) and the fact that my mother lost her baby weight very quickly, he said I have a low likelihood of having problems (that is what I thought being the OB's have said I probably won't have weight issues, but it was nice to hear it from a jeweler).

LOL -- a jeweler who can predict post-pregnancy weight loss! There's a skill.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love script engraving so I would have someone else do the engraving--you could take it to Tiffany''s and have a total Breakfast at Tiffany''s engraving moment:)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:39:30 PM
Author: sarap333

I am happy with my choice of band, but was a bit nervous about going full circle. Brian totally put my mind to ease about that. Because of my body type (tall, thin) and the fact that my mother lost her baby weight very quickly, he said I have a low likelihood of having problems (that is what I thought being the OB''s have said I probably won''t have weight issues, but it was nice to hear it from a jeweler).

LOL -- a jeweler who can predict post-pregnancy weight loss! There''s a skill.

Oh I am taking it with a grain of salt! The fact I am a clone of my mother, means much more to me. I have fully accepted I am taking a risk and might need to buy a new wedding band in the future.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:46:41 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Date: 5/2/2010 10:39:30 PM
Author: sarap333

I am happy with my choice of band, but was a bit nervous about going full circle. Brian totally put my mind to ease about that. Because of my body type (tall, thin) and the fact that my mother lost her baby weight very quickly, he said I have a low likelihood of having problems (that is what I thought being the OB''s have said I probably won''t have weight issues, but it was nice to hear it from a jeweler).

LOL -- a jeweler who can predict post-pregnancy weight loss! There''s a skill.

Oh I am taking it with a grain of salt! The fact I am a clone of my mother, means much more to me. I have fully accepted I am taking a risk and might need to buy a new wedding band in the future.
LOL! Good to just go with the flow.

I am glad you picked a setting! I think it will be great. Were you able to squeeze out of Leon the thicness/height of the wedding band he is making for you? My worry is that you will have your new Grace and then get the wb and find out that the shanks do not match
14.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:41:12 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
I love script engraving so I would have someone else do the engraving--you could take it to Tiffany''s and have a total Breakfast at Tiffany''s engraving moment:)

I love script engraving too!!!

I might have to find another way though
2.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool! What a fun day! So glad you were able to find a setting you loved. You are indeed a lucky girl to be able to go and see the setting in person! Can''t wait to see it all put together!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer,

My work order said it was going to be 1.5mm in height. Brian was really surprised I knew that when he asked me! The Grace is 1.8mm before it is "shaved down." so they should be really close and work fine.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I can''t wait to see photos :)

Adun

Rough_Rock
Was the shared prong a cathedral setting with 2 surprise stones inside?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 11:37:02 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Dreamer,

My work order said it was going to be 1.5mm in height. Brian was really surprised I knew that when he asked me! The Grace is 1.8mm before it is ''shaved down.'' so they should be really close and work fine.
Perfect!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Luv2sparkle and Maevie - thanks....I can''t find my camera
8.gif
. But FI bought me a really nice camera, the kind where you have to change the lens. I guess this will force me how to use it. I am so afraid of it, I have not even taken it out of the box.

Dreamer - it should work great, I am excited.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 12:25:09 PM
Author: Adun
Was the shared prong a cathedral setting with 2 surprise stones inside?

No, it was a wedding band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results