shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratched non-stick pans--do they get thrown out?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
In a rush to get the cookies off my non stick (Anolon) cookie sheet, I used a knife and scratched it. Did I mention I''m not a good cook?

Anyway, what''s the rule of thumb..do I have to throw it out?

cara

Ideal_Rock
Well, technically once they are scratched it is easier for the coating to chip and be incorporated into your food
40.gif
but in practice I wouldn''t get rid of a pan for 1 scratch. Depends on your feelings about eating teflon, I guess?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
use it for something else....not sure what but i personally don''t think teflon is a healthy thing to ingest.

mz

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, damn. I guess this means we need new pans.
40.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think Anolon uses teflon at least our set does not. You can always put parchment paper down.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
parchment is a great solution!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the parchment paper. You can also "treat" the scratches to prevent rusting by putting a bit of oil on it after washing.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Love parchment paper...keeps baking sheets looking new, I would not throw it out.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another solution are silpat mats. I find they really help the cookies bake perfectly. Love them. But you do have to throw those away if you cut them. They have then at BB%B so I buy them w/ a 20% coupon. They also last for years.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting on the parchment paper band wagon. What a great idea!

Tacori- I just registered for the Silpat mats, I''ve never heard of them before. How would they get cut? Same as scraping a pan?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 6:27:22 PM
Author: mayachel
I'm getting on the parchment paper band wagon. What a great idea!

Tacori- I just registered for the Silpat mats, I've never heard of them before. How would they get cut? Same as scraping a pan?

DH used to use it to bake frozen pizzas and used a pizza cutter on it.
20.gif
Mine were from I registered 4 years ago and the survivor is in great shape. My aunt and uncle told me about them. They are chefs and swear by them. You just rinse them off. Use plastic type utensils not metal.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
silpats are great!!!! I have one and want to get somemore, my mom has like 3 huge ones and a small one. so handy!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Crate & Barrel has a fantastic version of a Silpat, I LUUURRRRVVVVVEEEEE mine. There is a half-sheet pan sized one and a counter mat, which is huge. They''re a couple dollars cheaper than authentic Silpats but I think they work just as well.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what I use the pan for. Cookie sheets - no, I don't throw them out. It's super easy to put a piece of parchment paper on them if the non-stick surface is ruined. Also, most cookies and baked goods seem to come right off sheet pans even if the non-stick surface isn't working properly (and I've never seen a teflon cookie sheet, so you don't need to worry about eating teflon).

For pans, especially those I really need to be non-stick (like the one I use for eggs) go in the trash once they're scratched up because they're not doing their non-stick job properly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results