shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I get into sales?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
This is slightly tongue in cheek, but not completely. My sister is in sales. She doesn''t sell something tangible like encyclopedias, but something that is very targeted within a certain industry.
She works at home and has a decent salary. But her commission is phenomenal. She normally doesn''t reveal it, but kind of did accidentally and I was floored. Her hours are decent (plus at home) and it is not stressful. I used to not even take it very seriously.

Now I work in a traditional work environment but it is banking in NY and we do have bonuses, so I''m kind of used to the whole traditional path and game. But I had no idea someone in sales could earn my bonus easily in months, wtih far fewer hours put in and not even getting out of their pj''s!

So am I just seeing a glmpse of a very small sliver of what is sales, and if not, how can I find a way in! Because as a mom, it sounds pretty ideal!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 2:49:04 PM
Author:janinegirly
This is slightly tongue in cheek, but not completely. My sister is in sales. She doesn''t sell something tangible like encyclopedias, but something that is very targeted within a certain industry.
She works at home and has a decent salary. But her commission is phenomenal. She normally doesn''t reveal it, but kind of did accidentally and I was floored. Her hours are decent (plus at home) and it is not stressful. I used to not even take it very seriously.

Now I work in a traditional work environment but it is banking in NY and we do have bonuses, so I''m kind of used to the whole traditional path and game. But I had no idea someone in sales could earn my bonus easily in months, wtih far fewer hours put in and not even getting out of their pj''s!

So am I just seeing a glmpse of a very small sliver of what is sales, and if not, how can I find a way in! Because as a mom, it sounds pretty ideal!
Janine, I work in sales. I''m not commissions based though...I have a very nice salary and get a yearly bonus. Like your sister, I work from home and have great hours for the most part.

And I would say...don''t go in sales.
41.gif
Even a low pressure sales job can have a fair bit of pressure. You''re often a number and you''d better perform (which, btw, doesn''t mean the same thing as work hard), or you''ll be toast sooner or later.

I''ve always been in sales. My first job was a salesgirl. So for 20 years now I''ve been doing it. I can do it with my eyes closed and I''m good at it. But I don''t really like it. It was something I fell into...not something I wanted to do. Fortunately, I got into a great industry.

I can''t imagine getting into sales later in life (especially if one doesn''t have the personality to enjoy it) would be any fun. But that''s just me. Some people just LOVE being in sales. Me, not so much, but I admit, there''s not a lot else I can think of that I''d rather do.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve worked in sales before when I was in college and it was a nightmare. Bottom line is the amount of $ you bring in. I hated pressuring people into buying stuff and how successful I was at it being calculated by upper people. I only did it during the holidays. . .not sure how the rest of the year would be.

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock

Janinegirly

I do not work in sales, however my husband owns company where he employs sales representatives. His top sales agents make in the mid 100K and low level sales agents in the 60K range including commissions. The turnover with sales representative is tremendous; perhaps it''s the stress factor. There are many sales opportunities on site such as craigslist that are legit. I wish luck finding your niche.

:)

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock

I’ve worked in sales now for +10 years. Like most sales professions, your business is directly impacted by the economy and other factors that are outside of your control, and the stress level can be quite high. Like others have mentioned, you are merely a number to your company – i.e. the amount of revenue that you personally generate is what helps keep the engine oiled. If you don’t deliver, you’ll most likely be the first to go. Also, when sales are slow, your income is directly affected of course. You are forced to manage your income in such a way so you’ll still have money set aside when business is slow.

Before having a child, I loved being in control of my income, and didn’t really have a huge need to worry during those times that I wasn’t making a significant amount. But now that I have a child, I hate not knowing what my weekly check will look like. The uncertainty is unnerving.

On a final note – as stressful as a sales job can be, if you are a go-getter (and hustler) it''s true you can make great money. I was making a mid-six figure income straight out of college... Now, I would take peace of mind (and a stable paycheck) over the ‘possibility’ of making that much money.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 4:49:07 PM
Author: sugarpie honeybun

I’ve worked in sales now for +10 years. Like most sales professions, your business is directly impacted by the economy and other factors that are outside of your control, and the stress level can be quite high. Like others have mentioned, you are merely a number to your company – i.e. the amount of revenue that you personally generate is what helps keep the engine oiled. If you don’t deliver, you’ll most likely be the first to go. Also, when sales are slow, your income is directly affected of course. You are forced to manage your income in such a way so you’ll still have money set aside when business is slow.

Before having a child, I loved being in control of my income, and didn’t really have a huge need to worry during those times that I wasn’t making a significant amount. But now that I have a child, I hate not knowing what my weekly check will look like. The uncertainty is unnerving.

On a final note – as stressful as a sales job can be, if you are a go-getter (and hustler) it''s true you can make great money. I was making a mid-six figure income straight out of college... Now, I would take peace of mind (and a stable paycheck) over the ‘possibility’ of making that much money.

This really depends on the sales job. I''ve never been a commission based sales person. I was always given a good salary and yearly bonus. This has pros and cons. The con is that you don''t really rake in the dough when things are good. The Pro is the job is much more stable and it''s great to have a big base salary.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 4:58:24 PM
Author: TravelingGal
This really depends on the sales job. I''ve never been a commission based sales person. I was always given a good salary and yearly bonus. This has pros and cons. The con is that you don''t really rake in the dough when things are good. The Pro is the job is much more stable and it''s great to have a big base salary.

Very true.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Not all sales jobs are created equal. Some are entry level, some are not. Some are obviously more lucrative than others as well as some require additional skill sets.

I am a salaried employee but more than three quarters of my income comes from bonus and commissions. After years of success I have no problem meeting my quarterly goals. Most of that comes from careful business planning year in at year out. However, the kind of sales that I do is not for everyone.

My first question is…do you know what kind of sales you would be interested in?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Well I was half joking when I started this as I really have no sales skills--but was wondering if there was a whole industry I was missing out on that allowed for good money and ability to stay at home! I mean maybe I could develop these skills then!

I am more the type to prefer stability, but in my sister''s case she has a comfortable base salary (in my opinion) particularly considering she is at home. On top of that is a commission that is half that salary (in one quarter!). She is not a big sales type either--but does have a good work ethic. I think I could do reasonably well in that context. But not exactly something you can probably pick up once you''re in your 30''s, have kids and no actual sales experience!

It''s really interesting hearing about the field though..

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 4:49:07 PM

What kind of sales were you in after college? You must be great at what you do! Although I agree, peace of mind is priceless.
1.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I have worked in sales and hated it, but I know a lot of people who love and they definitely make money. To do well, you have to like sales, like what you are selling and like the way the company/boss/handler, etc treats you. For example, my Dh has worked 2 sales jobs. The one he loved he really trusted the product and they let him be himself. The one he hated, he never used the thing and had to hit a number of talking points which he hated.

For getting into it, I would suggest part time so you can see if you like it. This will sound cliche, but I read a lot of sales how to books for one of the job and hands down the most helpful was "how to win friends and influence people". It is old and one of the best selling of all time, but it was really helpful. Plus, every library in the country has it.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 11:25:50 PM
Author: janinegirly

What kind of sales were you in after college? You must be great at what you do! Although I agree, peace of mind is priceless.
1.gif
Commercial real estate - office, warehouse, industrial brokerage. Needless to say, not a very busy industry at the current moment
38.gif

And I just noticed that I wrote "mid" six figures. What I was trying to say was $150k - obviously a big difference! (but still a decent amount straight out of college). I''ll blame that typo on trying to work and PS at the same time!
3.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 4:58:05 PM

Date: 4/28/2010 11:25:50 PM
Author: janinegirly

1.gif
Commercial real estate - office, warehouse, industrial brokerage. Needless to say, not a very busy industry at the current moment
38.gif

And I just noticed that I wrote ''mid'' six figures. What I was trying to say was $150k - obviously a big difference! (but still a decent amount straight out of college). I''ll blame that typo on trying to work and PS at the same time!
3.gif
Sorry to intervene, but sugarpie, I worked in commercial real estate straight out of college as well. I wasn''t a broker, though, I was an analyst. I really enjoyed the market, but there were too many sleazy brokers and I ended up getting out. I do have one good friend who is a broker and a mom and she has a solid list of clients, so she makes plenty working part time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results