shape
carat
color
clarity

ebay seller "diamond-deal-au" pyramid scam

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lainelover

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I''m new here and was wondering if anyone has dealt with the ebay sellers "diamond-deal-au".
My son purchased a ring 18 months ago. It was supposed to be a "H" colour, but when it arrived, it was this ugly grey colour with no sparkle. He really should have asked for a proper photo of the ring instead of bidding on something with a stock photo posted. Foolishly, he paid via Bank Deposit to their account.
When the ring arrived, he was so disgusted in it that he immediately phoned them to tell them that he was sending it back in the following days mail. A week later, he phoned them to tell them his bank account number so that they could refund the money which was $1,200.00. He was told by there so-called Gemologist that they didn''t give refunds, however, they kept a credit on file for you until you chose another ring.
All rings seemed to be almost the same price as a jewellery shop (the buy it now rings), however, we did cotton on to the fact that their rings for auction which had a subtitle advertisement of "100% Lifetime Buy Back Guarantee" were rings that you wouldn''t want to see your dog wearing! After 18 months, he finally put a bid on a supposed 3.00ct Diamond ring just so that he could get his credit back even though it was going to cost him more.
He received the ring after a couple of weeks, and had it valued by one of Australia''s leading Jewellers. It came back as a total of 5 diamonds put together to resemble a 3.00ct Diamond, but the diamonds only totalled 1.00ct.
These sellers never give give refunds. They sell you a ring and you have to keep upgrading and spending more money to get something decent, so you may just as well go to your local Jeweller.
They have a feedback of 100%, however, they have many unhappy customers who have purchased rings and have either a credit hanging over their heads, or a fear of not being able to get rid of the ugly thing they purchased from these sellers and getting something decent. These sellers also tell people if they open a dispute that "they never lose a paypal dispute". They phone up and bully their unhappy customers and for some reason, ebay lets them get away with it.
Sellers are not allowed to have Lay-by systems for their customers, so why do they let diamond-deal-au get away with giving people credits when they return their unwanted ring?
These sellers blackmail and bully people. There intimidation tactics are so horrendous that I can''t for the life of me understand how they get away with it.
How do you get rid of pyramid sellers like these people? It''s sellers like these that make ebay an unsafe place and people lose their hard-earned money.
One unhappy customer worked out the percentage they sell a month and compared it to the feedback they get. There is no-where near the same feedback that should be there for the sales they make.
It''s heartbreaking to see my son go through this because he had trust in a Power Seller.
I might also add that they gave their own Independant Insurance Valuation of $19,040.00, but the major Australian Jewellery Store valued it at $8,000.00. Maybe he paid half of that valuation but the point it that it came in a setting full of rails to hold the diamonds in place, so you can''t just reset it in another setting.
These sellers have girls working obviously from home in Perth & Sydney, but they are based in Thailand. These sellers are rude, arrogant and beyond a joke!
They told my son that they abide by the rules of ebay, paypal and the ACCC, but beat this....the true description of the ring being 5 diamonds isn''t in the body of the advertisement like it should be, it''s in the "Terms & Conditions" right at the bottom of the page when you scroll down.
According to the following URL, this is illegal: http://www.smh.com.au/news/money/keep-it-real/2006/05/08/1146940478480.HTML?page=2
Can anyone explain why ebay let them get away with it? How do you get rid of these fraudulent sellers?
My son left negative feedback which was removed after an ebay blunder. But while the negative feedback was up on their site, there were many unhappy customers contacting him to see if he was able to get his money back.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks, and kind regards,
Liz

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Please, I mean this with all due respect--Paragraphs would make this interesting story so much easier to read.

lainelover

Rough_Rock
Sorry Amber,

I guess most places where I''ve tried to get help change the paragraphs into lines.
I''m normally very good with this king of thing, but I guess I was also a little tired.

Cheers,
Liz

ma re

Ideal_Rock
First of all let me tell you I''m really sorry to hear what you all went through, but it''s a cruel world out there, poverty makes people do all kinds of things to make money, and criminal knows no boundaries, geographical or other.

Many of the people on this forum are very experienced when it comes to gemstones and jewellery, have a lot of knowledge on the subject and have bought from all kinds of vendors throughout their "shopping careers". At some point we all go through some lessons of buying online, buying on e-bay, believing in deals of the century and so on. It''s unfortunate, however, that lessons your son went through cost him a lot of money.

The thing we try to share with many people seeking advice here is that, when it comes to gems or jewellery, it doesen''t matter what you buy - it''s who you buy it from. That''s the best advice I ever heard on this subject. Frauds in this field have a long history, and today''s ever-advancing technology allows things like treatments being imployed often by unscrupulous individuals. Not to mention that some of those treatments are very hard to detect. But I know you''re not talking treatments, just plain old false advertisement. Yes, it''s illegal, but in a virtual world of the web it''s hard to put an end to it. Even if you close someone''s account, they can create other ones under different names etc.

That''s why very few of our members ever made a significant purchase on e-bay, but also because another one of the golden rules says that if something is too good to be true, it surely is not. Sellers always know what they''re dealing with, and since they''re not charitable organisations, they won''t give you away something for much less than what''s it worth.

I don''t know if or how can e-bay do something about this, try to contact them and explain the situation, but I doubt you''ll get any good out of it unless you hire a lawyer and prepare yourself for legal expenses.

Best of luck
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds like the item was clearly misrepresented, start a paypal dispute at the very least. I hope your son saved all the webpages as images or something, somehow I doubt these people will be forthcoming on old web content without several pokes with a branding iron.

Looks like he learned some valuable life lessons here:
1) Always find out exactly what the return policy is (no credit-on-file surprises)
2) Always be suspicious of the "best deal"
3) Don't throw good money after bad and expect something good to come of it

lainelover

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your kind reply ma re.

I know there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers on ebay, but we''ve had our fair share of good ones too. Most of the time you relly on the feedback of a seller, but for some reason, ebay lets these sellers get away with it.

Having said this, it makes you wonder if the rest of the "feedback" is safe. These sellers have had so many disputes opened through ebay and paypal and yet when a "negative feedback" appears....it disappears again.

We do have a solicitor in the family, but we don''t really want to bug her unnecessarily, however, one of the ebay Trust & Safety Team did give me the address for the "ebay police", so hopefully something might get done.

It''s just so sad that people can rip others off. I honestly couldn''t imagine doing that and I know my son wouldn''t consider it either.

This is a great forum and I appreciate your replies and your guidance.

I''ll be keeping an eye on here in future and have shown my son the site too.

Again, many thanks to you
1.gif

Liz

lainelover

Rough_Rock
Hi ysse,

Thanks also for your reply.

My son has tried the paypal dispute, but diamond-deal-au have a bad habit of telling their customers who open a dispute "WE NEVER LOSE A PAYPAL DISPUTE, BUT WHEN YOU''RE READY AND SETTLE DOWN, WE''LL MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SMILE ON YOUR FACE - We don''t like having unhappy customers". Wow...my son found out they got a lot of unhappy customers, but they blackmail and make underlying threats. Even when some threats are down in writing, and have been sent to ebay, I don''t think anything has been done by ebay.

I just hope that all customers who have a bad dealing with this mob make sure they leave the required negative feedback. Due to my sons negative feedback removal, it may harm a lot of other poor buyers in the future. This is totally unfair and ebay are jeopordizing other people''s hard-earned money by doing so.

Your lessons are correct! But you know.....if ebay doesn''t allow sellers to use a "lay-by" system, then how can they allow sellers to use the "credit" system upon their returns of items they don''t want.. I would think that both things are pretty much the same.

Anyhow, we''ve reported them now to many authorities, so hopefully something will sort these scammers out!

Again, thanks everyone....it''s greatly appreciated.

And Amber.....I didn''t forget the paragraphs!
36.gif

Cheers to all.
Liz

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Hi Liz,
I''m sorry to hear what happened to your son. The sad fact is that there are always people looking to take advantage of others. I''m sorry he had to learn the lesson this way though
7.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about what happened.
Some more lessons to be learned are really know who you are buying from, make sure they are trustworthy BEFORE you buy.
If buying something expensive really know what the return policy is
Do not use bank transfers for ebay purchases (very difficult to get money back)
Once have a problem with an ebay seller, to not compound the problem by trying to rectify it outside of paypal/Ebay practices (such as by trading up). My practice, one strike and they are out, returns only.

Making a trade in is not the same thing as a lay away, so there is no issue there. Your son already purchased the ring, he simply has (unusable) credit at this ebay store.

What your son should have done was as soon as he got a ring that was unacceptable, to document both what the ebay sale represented the item to be, and get documentation of what the item actually is, to open a dispute that the item was substantially misrepresented and that "no return" policy does not apply to misrepresented items. Unfortunately since he has already done one trade, he in essence was saying the trade-in was an acceptable resolution to the misrepresentation (Which you are finding out it is not).
It can't hurt to open a dispute with the new ring, again due to misrepresentation, giving ebay and paypal as much documentation of all the ways it is not (multiple verus single stone, total carat weight, clarity, etc) and that only acceptable recourse is return of monies. Unfortunately since they have your money it's no guarantee even if they find in your favor they will return your money.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Sorry for your son's troubles. Filing a dispute with paypal should settle this regardless of what the seller says. From experience I can tell you that he should get his money back. Have him get an appraisal for documentation as paypal will ask for that. With that he should be good to go and get his money back.

buddhist

Rough_Rock
This is such a sad story. What makes it sad is the Elizabeth Hyett is the mother of Daniel Hyett and they themselves are diamond dealers who sell on Ebay.
They sell glass fracture filled diamonds on Ebay under the username Dan_the_diamond_man

You can see that Elizabeth says herself that she has a diamond business that sells 50-100m dollars of diamonds a year by looking here http://www.tradevv.com/chinasuppliers/lainelover

You will also notice that her username on the trade site is the same as her username on this site.

They bought from diamond deal au in order to leave negative feedback which is known as malicious buying. To imagine that for 1 moment an Ebay powerseller who sells diamonds would buy a 5 stone ring and keep it for 1 week and not notice is incredible. Especially someone who claims to sell 1million dollars of diamonds each week!! Interestingly no normal retail client has ever reacted so terribly when they have made mistakes but a big professional Diamond family like the Hyetts not only want us to believe that they were fooled for a week but indeed that they were not required to read the advert, look at the picture or indeed inspect the certificate!!

They have been making defamatory posts such as this all over the web which court orders have meant that most have been taken down.

We have not as yet started an action to sue for defamation, nor have we sued them for the $8000 that they still owe us AND we prevented Ebay from closing their sites down hoping that this silliness would stop. Please read this last sentence again. It is important.

It is appalling that Elizabeth is abusing this forum in this way.

Diamond deal au provide an auction service that thousands of people have bought from and love. Yes there have been 6 people from over 5000 sales that have been unhappy because they haven''t read the adverts or thought they were stealing from us. I suspect a random group of 5000 would contain all kinds of horrible people, ex cons, mentally ill and just plain nasty but we have only had to deal with 6 over 5 years!!!!!

Shame on your Elizabeth!

buddhist

Rough_Rock
Here is Elizabeths''s profile:

Company Profile
Basic Information
Company Name: JM Hyett & Sons Pty Ltd
Business Type: Retailer
Product/Service: Diamond Gemstones Gold Rings Jewelry
Number of Employees: < 5 people
Trade & Market
Main Markets: Worldwide
Industry: Timepieces, Jewelry, Eyewear
AnnualTurnover: 50 ~ 100 Million US$
Other Information
Year Established: 2005
Legal Representative / CEO: Elizabeth Hyett
ShowRoom: http://www.tradevv.com/chinasupliers/lainelover

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results