shape
carat
color
clarity

Why jewellery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Some people choose to spend their money on new cars, hobbies, sports, travel, furnishings or fashionable clothing and accessories, so what is it about jewellery for you that makes you happy to spend thousands of dollers on it over all the other things you could splurge on?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t spend much money on jewelry. If I had the money to spend, sure but only on rings. I never buy necklaces or earrings, because I can''t SEE them!

There''s just something nice in knowing you have a one of a kind jewel or custom made piece. It''s like an extension of your personality. It lets people know a little bit about who you are.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I like to window shop for jewelry, but don''t purchase much. It''s pretty, sparkly, and can be worn everyday--what''s not to like?
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 10:16:41 PM
Author:4ever
Some people choose to spend their money on new cars, hobbies, sports, travel, furnishings or fashionable clothing and accessories, so what is it about jewellery for you that makes you happy to spend thousands of dollers on it over all the other things you could splurge on?

Ha, I actually spend more money on hobbies, sports, travel, furnishings and fashionable clothing and accessories than I do on jewelry!
3.gif

I do love jewelry but I like to buy necklaces the most of all, and most of my necklaces aren't fine jewelry. Most of them are sterling silver and a few are yellow gold. When it comes to gemstones, I only really like diamonds and even I can't justify a ton of those.
12.gif

ETA no idea why I love diamonds-I just do! I'm really not a blingy person in real life. I blame my mom!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's my passion. Has been since I was 5.
5.gif
We spend more money on Real Estate and other investments. Jewelry isn't an investment to me, it's a way of expressing myself. Some people collect art... To each his / her own... You do what suits you and what you can afford.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love it because it''s sparkly. but I don''t really spend that much on it - I don''t spend much money in general - I''m a very frugal person
but I love the pictures! and after buying my first stones (studs) from BGD I will be buying more

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
It sparkles and it lasts forever... what more could you want?
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I actually never spend money on jewelry. I enjoy it, and love looking at other's people's pieces and dreaming, but in general I'm far to cheap. I have the money, but I just can't justify putting down so much when we could spend it on a better vacation or something. I'd love to plan ahead and get some greats studs and a pendant at some point though, it just won't be any time soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have jewellery and china, FI has football. I loved pretty rocks even as a child, though I didn't really appreciate them for what they were until PS
1.gif

I'd say we actually just about break even between the two us, cost-wise.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2010 11:42:38 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
It sparkles and it lasts forever... what more could you want?
9.gif
yep, unlike a $50K car that will end up in the junkyard.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Even if it''s not somthing you spend most of your discretionary income on you still choose to buy jewellery over spending the money on somthing else. I do think there is a reason people on PS buy jewellery other then just because it is sparkly; weather it be to celebrate important times in our lives or because diamonds have certain social meanings of glamor and luxury which we like or because we grew up admiring our family members gems. I''d really like to know the real reasons people on PS choose to spend their money on diamonds and jewellery.

For me: Wearing my jewellery makes me feel special, like slipping on some beautiful and expensive shoes or pretty and impractical lingerie. It lifts my mood and makes me feel nicely dressed and pretty, even when the rest of my outfit is a bit crap.

I also like the longevity of classic jewellery- I could spend $500 on a really special dress or shoes or a coat but I probably wont have that iteam forever, even if it''s very classic looking my body will change and my clothes will deteriorate but my ring can go to the jewellers for a clean and replating and look as good as new.

Also, I get jewellery for special occasions so they have memories attached- my rhr reminds me of traveling the UK with my BF, another is graduating top of my class from uni and my necklace is my 21st birthday.

My mum inherited most of her fine jewellery, being the only female child in her family. When I was little I liked sitting on my mums bed when she took her jewellery out and getting to open all the seperate little boxes, trying things on and my mum would tell me who it belonged to and when they got it and wore it. My mum wears very little jewelery and I always though it was a shame that everythinbg would sit in it''s box unused and I though when I was a grown up I would wear different jewellery all the time to make the most of having it. I''d also like to have a jewellery box of my own to look at with my daughter should I every have one, and have some really nice peices for her to have and enjoy when I am gone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom always loved jewelry but never once got anything wonderful or significant... I feel truly blessed that I can manifest some of her desires even though I don''t do it in her honor nor would we have had the same tastes.

But... why not? hehe

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people choose to spend their money on new cars, hobbies, sports, travel, furnishings or fashionable clothing and accessories, so what is it about jewellery for you that makes you happy to spend thousands of dollers on it over all the other things you could splurge on?[/.QUOTE]

just because I was continuing to think about this I thought I would address the list you mentioned... some things I splurge on and others I just don''t. We don''t buy brand new cars because we are far too practical to pay the drive-off-the-lot fee. We buy cars that are 1-3 years old and keep them until they''re about 8-10 years old and we pay for them in cash so there''s no car payments. Hobbies really just consists of electronic crappola and in the big scheme its not that expensive, but it does add up. Sports is a NO but travel is a YES! Though we don''t splurge to travel first class, we have upgraded from our motel 6 days, thank god! Furnishings is a bit of a yes and a no. I love art and I love quality wood products and am willing to pay for them, but I don''t pay for trendy decorator type pieces or change my decor on whims or trend. I tend to get pieces that will last the rest of my life both in terms of quality and style. Fashion clothing is a big NO. I like quality pieces but I''m not at all a fashionista and my days spending a sharp premium to have a triangle on my butt are over. I am not big on accessories, I wear the same 1/2ctw studs every single day and have for 10 years now despite PS and the financial ability to upgrade to quality stones. I wear a timex watch that I chose because everything was clearly labeled, it had a second hand and an articulated dial, it had a night light, and most of all because it is waterproof and I can swim and shower with it on. I am truly lazy and I have come to embrace that lol I waited 15 years to get ANY engagement ring and then got a pretty substantial one knowing that I would have it forever and not trade it up down the road. I don''t spend a lot of money doing and redoing settings or having a plethora of rings or other jewels, but I will continue to add a very few timeless pieces to my collection and I will be resetting my diamond one more time and reusing the setting for my birthstone.

I like diamonds because of the rainbows and I like big diamonds with big facets because they do the rainbows best IMO.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock

Um, I get too bored watching sports, my knees don''t let me play sports anymore; I don''t like living out of a suitcase to travel; I already have enough cars, hobbies, and furnishings and had to either quit or sell and start over after I filled up the available space; nobody in this small town dresses up, clean blue jeans = dressed up. Jewelry was the only new frontier, lol. Plus, it''s considerably easier to geographically relocate jewelry than some of those other possessions, too. ;-)
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2010 11:18:49 PM
Author: Kaleigh
It''s my passion. Has been since I was 5.
5.gif
We spend more money on Real Estate and other investments. Jewelry isn''t an investment to me, it''s a way of expressing myself. Some people collect art... To each his / her own... You do what suits you and what you can afford.
+1 I like it and my husband likes giving it. ''nuff said.
9.gif

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I love the hunt and I never spend much on jewelry - usually 20 to 30% of retail at pawn shops
9.gif
For me, jewelry is the thing that will ALWAYS fit, or I can always make it fit! I have large bones, broad shoulders and a larger set
3.gif
It''s like clothes in regular sizes don''t have the right proportions and clothes in "plus" sizes don''t go small enough "plus" size for me. My dad also gave me his extra large/wide feet
40.gif
So depressing to go shopping! Jewelry is my silver lining that always looks good and always fits
5.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I just always had a passion for it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just always sparkles and makes you happy looking at it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am a pretty frugal person, living well beneath my means. Instead of spending a lot going out, on clothes and general consumption, I spend my fun money mostly on travel, books and coloured gems. Why? Because they are beautiful. I love the beautiful colours, fine cutting and unique phenomena. I have no patience for ostentation and my interest is no different from another''s appreciation of the technology in a sports car or the artistry of a well cut dress or suit.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love how it sparkles. I also think that it dresses up any outfit, no matter what you''re wearing. I don''t buy much now but as soon as I graduate I plan on buying myself something nice and sparkly as a reward.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 7:38:32 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
My mom always loved jewelry but never once got anything wonderful or significant... I feel truly blessed that I can manifest some of her desires even though I don''t do it in her honor nor would we have had the same tastes.

But... why not? hehe
This was true for me too. I think we bonded early over liking jewellery in general, although she never ended up with anything. Never had a real diamond ring even. Part of that was because my dad died so young and she never remarried I guess.

Sometimes I really ask myself why I love jewellery so much. I don''t have a lot of great pieces. Really just my wedding set and 5 stone ring. But I absolutely adore looking at jewellery and do collect smaller pieces. Love gemstones too. I have passed the affliction on to one of my daughters. Maybe it''s hereditary?
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love jewelry but I actually don''t wear much (mostly earrings and my wedding set). Even though there are pieces I would love to have someday, I''d be more tempted to spend that money on a nice vacation or put it towards something more practical. If we were in a different financial situation and could easily afford it, I''d probably splurge on an eternity (or half eternity band).

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
It''s one of the few beautiful things that are not ephemeral. A sunset is just for that moment and flowers only bloom for a few days but the colors of that sunset and those flowers are in stones that will still be around when I am gone. I feel privileged to be able to enjoy them while I''m still here.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t spend that much on bling. Most of my fun money goes toward clothes. The nice thing about jewelry is that it doesn''t wear out. Diamond studs can provide years of enjoyment, whereas shoes wear out after a year or two (or go out of style).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I am really a dragon in human form and my cave looks bare and empty without sparklies. I have always collected minerals from when I was very little and now I can afford to buy prettier minerals than before in the form of gemstones. I rarely set them, I just keep them in boxes as my little hoard and get them out to admire and play with every now and then...

I get endless pleasure from them, the excitement of a new package in the post is great; I like to look them up in books, test them, put them in little boxes and arrange them all in my gem cases according to type/colour etc. They will last forever and I hope give pleasure to my descendents.

Otherwise, I spend my fritter money on my daughter, antique English silver and things for my house.

I have almost zero interest in fashion (despite a degree in it and spending most of my adult life in the industry
9.gif
) and have worn the same type of thing for years. I buy good quality classics that are cut well in good fabric that lasts rather than buying the latest trends or labels. Shoes and handbags are so not my thing either.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like other people said, I don''t spend thousands of dollars on jewelry (well, except for a few years there
12.gif
) so a false dichotomy.
new cars- depreciate and are EXPENSIVE!. Not into sports except swimming and maybe camping, both can be done cheaply. Probably spend about as much on travel each year as jewelry, but again not very much money. Furnishing, actually have been spending more on this. Fashionable clothing, accessories - just never been into fashion. Choice between a $200 item of clothing/purse/shoes that will end up getting trashed and/or outdated, versus a piece of jewelry can wear every day, seems like a no-brainer. Also I can tell the difference between jewelry that is nicely made or not, and would bug me to not wear something nice even if it''s made of sterling silver, while I know nothing about labels and can''t tell a Prada from a Gucci.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Not sure.
I am just not into cars, fancy clothes, or pretty shoes. Occasionally I buy a Coach bag if I like the style and color, but the only accessory that makes me happy is jewelry that I can wear.
I wouldn''t mind travel more, but right now the work schedule does not permit us to travel around the world....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results