shape
carat
color
clarity

Pictures of my 5.13CT Lemony pear, finally free!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was looking at the GIA report, and you know, she is only a ''good'' cut. No ''Excellent'' anywhere, not stellar in any way on paper. If I had not seen any images of her prior to her purchase, I would have passed on this treasure most likely. That alone just tells you how important it is to look WITH YOUR EYES at a fancy cut stone. Papers, numbers, formulas, it just doesn''t always add up to a gorgeous one. Eventhough she only has a ''Good'' cut, she doesn''t show any bowtie at all. The stars must have been aligned just right in the sky when she was created and cut to what she is today...

Well if Lemony doesn''t make the point, nothing can!

What an eye-opener
23.gif
30.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 1:00:48 PM
Author: Amethyste

Date: 4/20/2010 11:30:54 AM
Author: dreamer_d
It is amazing how different she looks without the cup and the halo! I will be eager to hear what you think of her color in person, especially contrasting with the white tillions, because pictures can only tell you so much. I think it will be a spectacular combination. The lack of bow tie is really special.

Regarding the cut comments, Amen to that! As an aside, though, the 'good' you see on paper must apply to the symmetry or polish because there is no GIA cut grade for fancy shapes...

YES! That is totally true! But I though that the Symmetry was also an indication of the cut, if the symmetry is graded low, I would imagine that the cut is somewhat touched as well... ?
am I wrong? Please educate me :)
I think symmetry matters to a degree, and you are correct that some people would have eliminated Lemony from a search based on a non-excellent grade there, even "very good" might have been eliminated in fact, but according to what I have read here many experts say that the human eye cannot distinguish Good and above in symmetry and polish. Moreover, those two factors would not affect light performance anyways, so I personally do not take those factors into account when assessing cut quality. The optics of your diamond will be determined by the angles of the crown and pavilion and other elements like table size and depth to a degree in a fancy shape (I am not as versed on this as rounds). To me, polish and symmetry only matter to the extent that if they are very poor, you could perhaps detect an unpleasant asymmetry in the stones outline, or a roughness on the surface. But it would have to be pretty bad for that to be the case I think.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

But I though that the Symmetry was also an indication of the cut, if the symmetry is graded low, I would imagine that the cut is somewhat touched as well... ?

Hi Amethyste,
Since I'm sitting here looking at your diamond, I thought that I'd explain why it has a grade of "GOOD" on it's symmetry. When fancy shapes are graded for symmetry they are viewed along their axes of symmetry, which in the case of a pear shapes means that it is viewed directly perpendicular to the table AND lengthwise from either the point or the rounded end of the stone. In the case of this diamond, viewing it perpendicular to the table shows everything as matching very well, but when viewed from one end or the other the angles are not identical on each side, with the table and culet being offset to one side ever so slightly. The reason that it's not obvious face up is that the offset is very slight, with both the table and culet centerline, lining up perfectly. This is impossible to see under normal viewing conditions ...I think that it's similar to the difference between a clarity grade of VVS1 and VS1 in that there is virtually no difference, (in the case of your diamond, without very close inspection from a particular and little used viewpoint). It's certainly nothing to be concerned about.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Is Lemony name fit anymore? Your diamond seem really different! Soooooo gorgeous!
36.gif
36.gif

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! She is beautiful
30.gif
30.gif
thanks for sharing about the cut, too. I would have associated "good" on a pear or fancy cut with the potential for a good-sized bow tie. Can''t wait to see her new home!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She looks just beautiful A!!!

I respect Michael for taking a guess- and he might even be right.

But the more important aspect here is that Symmetry does NOT equal quality of cut.
In fact this is such a common misunderstanding.
The very essence of a stone like Amethyste''s is not about perfect symmetry. Especially the facets below the girdle. The cutter needs freedom to end up with such a glorious result.

It''s also a huge mistake to associate the lack of VG or EX symmetry ( and polish) with a lazy cutter- or one who did not care about beauty.
Just the opposite, in my eyes.
A cutter that realized that part of the beauty of such a stone is it''s size. In many cases the "fix" to "upgrade" polish or symmetry can result in a less beautiful stone!
Plus it would be smaller.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2010 9:26:52 AM

I was looking at the GIA report, and you know, she is only a ''good'' cut. No ''Excellent'' anywhere, not stellar in any way on paper. If I had not seen any images of her prior to her purchase, I would have passed on this treasure most likely. That alone just tells you how important it is to look WITH YOUR EYES at a fancy cut stone. Papers, numbers, formulas, it just doesn''t always add up to a gorgeous one. Eventhough she only has a ''Good'' cut, she doesn''t show any bowtie at all. The stars must have been aligned just right in the sky when she was created and cut to what she is today...

I couldn''t agree more. Forget what the papers say because your eyes are what counts.

I can''t wait to see Lemony in her new home. How exciting!

BTW I bet she''s going to glitter like a disco ball without her yellow cup.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
OMG.....Lemony is soooooooo beautiful. Without her cup she seem more delicate somehoww. The colour is absolutely stunning. Reminds me of the glow of soft candlelight. SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am so happy and excited for you. Your original ring was beautiful but I absolutely love your new setting. I can''t wait to see pictures of the finished ring.
30.gif
30.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
she looks very different indeed.. a different sort of beautiful but very lovely on her own - I can''t wait to see her reset in that perfect setting !

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 1:47:29 PM
Author: Michael_E

But I though that the Symmetry was also an indication of the cut, if the symmetry is graded low, I would imagine that the cut is somewhat touched as well... ?

Hi Amethyste,

Since I''m sitting here looking at your diamond, I thought that I''d explain why it has a grade of ''GOOD'' on it''s symmetry. When fancy shapes are graded for symmetry they are viewed along their axes of symmetry, which in the case of a pear shapes means that it is viewed directly perpendicular to the table AND lengthwise from either the point or the rounded end of the stone. In the case of this diamond, viewing it perpendicular to the table shows everything as matching very well, but when viewed from one end or the other the angles are not identical on each side, with the table and culet being offset to one side ever so slightly. The reason that it''s not obvious face up is that the offset is very slight, with both the table and culet centerline, lining up perfectly. This is impossible to see under normal viewing conditions ...I think that it''s similar to the difference between a clarity grade of VVS1 and VS1 in that there is virtually no difference, (in the case of your diamond, without very close inspection from a particular and little used viewpoint). It''s certainly nothing to be concerned about.

THank you Michael for the explanation! I am not concerned about the good symmetry. I love the way she looks and its all good :) Thank you for taking te time to reply!!!

now, when will I be receiving my beauty? ;-)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
THank you everyone for the wonderful comments and sweet thoughts...

I am getting excited though!!! :)

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
She''s stunning!!! I can''t believe the color difference!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Lemony Pear is just so pretty and pleasing to the eye - love the photos. Makes me re-think my current longing for a cushion brilliant.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Duh!
I did not realize Michael had the stone in front of him- and was building the ring- that''s going to be awesome!
I was wondering how you could figure out the symmetry issue from the photos.....

I can''t wait to see this ring too.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Love the pics. Is it done yet?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Talk about a GORGEOUS stone!
30.gif
I don''t care what setting that beauty is in--it''s a spectacular pear!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:43:20 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Duh!
I did not realize Michael had the stone in front of him- and was building the ring- that''s going to be awesome!
I was wondering how you could figure out the symmetry issue from the photos.....

I can''t wait to see this ring too.
Lol, I was wondering that too for a minute. Heh. That makes a lot more sense!

Soooo, Amethyste, are you about dying from anticipation yet?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results