shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence - good or bad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
What are peoples thoughts on fluorescence? Are there certain color grades that it''s good and others that it''s bad? How strong is medium blue?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ep-

I think it really boils down to a matter of preference. I love fluorescence, others don't. It's certainly not good when it causes a diamond to look milky/chalky/oily, but that seems to only occur in a low percentage of fluorescent stones. In general, it's considered a desirable thing for lower colors, as it helps them look whiter, and less desirable in colorless stones. I happen to love strong blue fluor in a D color diamond, but that's just me. Look at this thread for pics and more info, and also check out what the PriceScope and GOG tutorials have to say about it...

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
PS. Medium blue is not that strong. Won't be noticeable under normal lighting conditions, might throw off faint glints of lavender on a very bright sunny day (especially at altitude). From what I've seen, though, it really takes at least strong blue fluor to become noticeable. Also, yellow fluorescence is something to stay away from.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you do a search on Bl. Fluor., you will see quite a bit of discussion on the subject.

I like it. I wouldn't buy a stone without it.

But, it sure seems to be the most misunderstood/debated of topics.

Some jeweler's would say run away from Blue fluor. Others own personal stones w/ Blue Fluor.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think the answer can only be determined on a stone by stone basis.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oops...regarding strong in particular...

JC

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion it comes down to the preference of the buyer. I don't really feel as though fluorescence is a negative or positive aspect of a diamond. It's simply an attribute of the diamond that will attract certain customers and not others. Good luck....

1.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What are peoples thoughts on fluorescence? Are there certain color grades that it's good and others that it's bad? How strong is medium blue?

Hi,

I think the J/K/L range of color with round brilliant cut diamonds that have blue fluorescence represent a great value area for consumers.

These diamonds , especially if well cut will face up very white in most lighting conditions.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/29/2004 3:46:23 PM CaptAubrey wrote:

this should answer your questions:

http://www.gia.edu/newsroom/608/20551/news_release_details.cfm

----------------

Hey - great read! Thanks for the link.
10.gif

That said, I am confused as ever now. If the general finding was that stronger blue fluor helps the stone to face up whiter, then WHY oh WHY does the trade still find it to be a flaw?

I understand the history. But, given static stats of a melon, why would the one that tastes better be discounted? It makes no sense. Or, perhaps that is the nature of the dinosaur.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with you, F&I!!! I don't know the answer. My best guess is that since it was once abused to sell lower color stones as higher colors, the trade is a bit gunshy to appear to promote it.

In the meantime, I'm gonna enjoy the fact that I know better!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results