shape
carat
color
clarity

Update to the "I think I was hosed" post

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Taking the stone to get appraised by an independent GIA Gemologist tomorrow. Spoke w/ the seller and I''m pretty sure she''ll work w/ me if I''m not happy - but she reassured me it was a perfect cut.

Original Post

Wish me luck!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Well done! I hope it all comes out well for you. If it isn't a stone you can feel good about, it sounds as if the store will help you find one you can. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Phew! Glad to know that she's going to work with you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the appraiser will back what the vendor says!!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad she'll work with you, Stomp. Maybe the number difference was an innocent mistake and it will all be fine. If not, it sounds like she will make it right.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Just got back from the appraisal
8.gif

The allegedly EGL H, VS1 was graded by this guy as an I, VS2 (he was almost calling it borderline J). Funny thing was the seller represented it as a strong H.

To add insult to injury the side stones are F-G. This confirms that the color difference I saw between the center and sides wasn't just a size issue.

Time to go test that money back guarantee. Should I give them warning I'm coming or just show up? If they play hardball I'll insist on sending it to GIA for appraisal.

IMO best case scenario is I get my money back.
Worst case scenario is I need to send the stone to GIA.
Most likely is I insist on a GIA stone that is better matched and I get that instead.

He didn't have nice things to say about the setting either
angryfire.gif

Funny thing is the cut came back as a 1B - not perfect, but still relatively good. That was what I was originally most concerned about.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
P.S. Any other words of advice from people that have successfully returned stones and gotten their money back?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Simply go to the jeweler who sold it. Present your dissapointing paperwork and say, "I sure would have loved to have had good news, but under the circumstances, I just prefer to have a refund."

The store may counter that the appraiser was unqualified or not independent. I hope you used a good appraiser, with credentials and one that is not a competing retailer. If you have used a good appraiser, assure the seller of this. If the appraiser was no good, then say, I'd be glad to pay the GIA grading on the stone if it turned out to be a legitimate H VS1"... Aske the retailer to have it sent to the GIA and wait the 4 weeks. If the stone comes back less than the EGL grading, then make a written agreement of a full refund....

These situations are very difficult to resolve sometimes. Being patient, not letteing your emotions rule are good things to keep in mind.

If the reailer offers to get you a very similar diamond with a GIA or AGS paper, then let them do it. It will save you time and problems while letting the store save face and some profit.

In other words: Be flexible even in the face of looking a little weak. Speak softly and firmly. Do not argue. Present your findings without passion. Make it BUSINESS not a display of your temper or mood. Let the jeweler keep you as a potential customer. At the end of this, you can leave the store and never come back, but right now, you have to keep it friendly.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Great advice Miner - thank you so much!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. At least you're now informed. I'm sure if you follow Dave's advice you'll get things worked out eventually!

Good luck!

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Well I'm back from my trip - and I got a new center stone that I'm thrilled with.

GIA
Round Brilliant
Clarity - SI-1
Color - F
7.48x7.52x4.62
1.57 (it was bordering on 1.58...saw the scale teetering)
Depth - 61.6
Table - 58
Girdle - Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet - None
Polish - VG
Symmetry - Excellent

Looks amazing - sparkles much more and matches my F-G sidestones much better. Unfortunately there isn't a sarin report available so I can't really get the rest of the numbers to do the cut advisor - is there any way I can fudge that (or would it be meaningless).

Anyway - I'm very happy. Had to spend a couple extra $$, but for this one (and especially for her) it was worth it
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results