shape
carat
color
clarity

30th Birthday Gift Ideas

MikeVI

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

First I''d like to say thank you. In the past few months I''ve learn SO much about diamonds and jewelry. When I first stumbled across this site I could barely name the 4 c''s. Now I''m working with a pricescope vendor building the perfect ring for my perfect girl. None of this would have been possible without the wonderful people at pricescope.

On to business.
1.gif

My gf is turning 30 this month. She''s had a love affair with Tiffany''s her entire life and I''d like to get her a nice pendant or necklace for her birthday. I really like both the Elsa Peretti initial pendant and the Tiffany''s signature pendant.

I''ve been look on the Tiffany site for a week and can''t make a decision. I just don''t trust my taste in jewelry.
2.gif
I''d appreciate any opinions on these two pendants or suggestions on any others. I''ve budgeted around $300 for this purchase.

Elsa Peretti Pendant

Tiffany Signature Pendant

Thanks Again
Mike

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Thoughtful gift.. happy birthday to her. :)

The Signature pendent is ok. It's a hair plain for my taste (or for $250!), but the design has its fans.

I don't like all of the letters for the Elsa P. Letter Pendent. Some look less than elegant to me, but some I like. I guess it depends on the letter of her name? I like the A, the L, the E, etc., but not the D, the..

I actually like the Tiffany Notes Round Letter Pendent much, much better than the Letter Pendent:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP02278&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+130346-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Key pendents seem to be kind of popular these days. Can't say that they're my favorite-
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP02278&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+130346-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Paloma's Zelli Pendent is interestingly unique, though casual-
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=25451708&mcat=148207&cid=563632&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+563632-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

But,.. my favorite from Tiffany is the Elsa P. Diamonds by the Yard necklace-
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=25451708&mcat=148207&cid=563632&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+563632-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I really like the Letter Pendant although I agree I like like some letters more than others, so make sure you sample them. I also like the open hearts and Heart Key Charm (but it doesn't come with a chain).

The Signature Pendant is pretty too but I've seen more of those. Honestly they are all nice choices and will make a perfect birthday gift!

MikeVI

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the great recommendations.

I was looking at the letter K pendant. I''ll see if I can attach a picture of it.

The DBTY necklaces are one of my favorites too. For some reason I''d really like the first diamond I give her to be the one on her engagement ring. What do you think about the color by the yard necklaces?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=25224841

MikeV_002.jpg

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I like this...

Let me explain, I have this odd need to commemorate years or anniversaries with a count. You are looking to recognize 30. So when I see this, I see 3 circles representing 3 decades. So it has more sentimental meaning. It also is STAMPED with Tiffany.

Not sure how many pieces she has, but if it is her first, she is going to want to have something that undeniably expresses Tiffany. The others are all great choices, but I think she would have to tell people THIS is a Tiffany. (I just realized that may read a tad rude or presumptuous of who SHE is, I mean no offense, just a lite suggestion of my reasoning of the need to have a trademark visible.
2.gif
)

This is a great one...

My SIL wears her first Tiffany and there is no denying it to be...it is close to this one it is a Tiffany that needs no explanation.

Oh being that you are a fella, you may not be aware, but in this last year, the Tiffany Key pendant started a craze! (Ringthings, and Swingirl have already provided a few keys for your consideration. I wanted to add the reason behind the keys.) There are several companies that have imitated the look, but most* of us female types, would really love to have a TIFFANY KEY. Here are a few more for you to peek at...

Key

Key Link

Here is one with my suggested count of THREE in the shape. Fleur De Lis THREE

Oh, hey, if you are ordering on line...you should maintain your budget at $300, you get complimentary shipping at the price! Woo Hoo. Free is a great motivator to spend more, don't you agree?

What a great BF you are thinking ahead to make her special day memorable! She is going to love anything you choose!
36.gif

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Oh to address your desire to give her your first diamond, as her ering. That is so SPECIAL! She will love that! If you are adamant about that, be all means stick to you instincts.

But the fun part here is, April''s birthstone is -----DRUMROLL PLEASE---- "THE DIAMOND". This month will be the only month you can give her a diamond that isn''t THE DIAMOND. I am sure she already has several birthday pieces that represent the April stone. Just a token of the month, no other meaning behind them, Honest!

The aquamarine is stunning and I think we have a few psers that have that or one single stone on a chain. Aquamarine is a great anytime stone, but it is also the birth stone of the month of March (it doesn''t mean that it only belongs to the those who are March babies-it is after all a magnificent blue color to be enjoyed by anyone of any birth month).

But I am trying to lead you into understanding it is ok, if you wanted to, you could get her a single diamond pendant and still fall within the first stone as not really being "THE FIRST DIAMOND" thing. There really shouldn''t be a stigma attached to diamonds, they are after all known as our best friend! You may shower us with them anytime...anyplace.

Ok, I think I spewed out enough thought and suggestions to get you totally confused. Intention to help was in there somewhere...
2.gif

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Color by the Yards are nice. Maybe a bracelet?

The K pendent is nice and curvy. I''m still a fan of the Circle Letter Pendent, but if the Elsa "K" is more her style, maybe that''s best.

The "Return to Tiffany" stuff might be what she''d want if she''s never had anything Tiffany, like someone above said. I personally would try to avoid the tags and the trendy stuff, but that''s just me. Like, would I wear a key necklace in a year? 5 years? Doubt it. But, it''s not like those aren''t over the top expensive (some some TCO stuff), so longevity isn''t really a requirement. I guess it could be "key to your heart" type stuff with some symbolism there.

I kind of like this, though it might not be TCO enough, it''s tasteful and refined (but cutesy)-
http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00808&mcat=&cid=288158&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+19-c+288158-r+101287465-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

The Multi Heart Bracelet is kinda nice-
http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00808&mcat=&cid=288158&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+5-p+19-c+288158-r+101287465-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I really like the interlocking circles lariat that was suggested - but between the two choices you originally provided, I would go with the letter K pendant :)

ElizabethRose

Rough_Rock
I definitely love the color by the yard idea, I was going to suggest it even before I read the replies. I was considering color bty for my 30th this month, but my fiance and I decided on a small OMC bezel pendant instead. However, if diamonds were off the table, my top request would have been pink sapphire cbty necklace. I just felt something with a stone in it was more...memorable? significant?...for this milestone birthday.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, I adore the Tiffany charms. I think they''re well-made, cunningly designed, and well-priced for what they are (my inner jeweler cringes at the mark-up on the plainly designed sterling pieces). The charms, though, have enough, well, charm to make it worth my while.

If you really think she wants something with the name on it, this little envelope strikes me as being so much cuter/more unusual than the "Return To" tags: envelope charm. $200

Or maybe, to symbolize your love ... Venus and Cupid? $175.

Last suggestion ... following CasaBlanca''s very cogent argument, I just have to point out how cute this is! It''s a .03 T&Co. DBTY solitaire on a 16 inch chain. So cute! And only $195 ....

MikeVI

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.
1.gif

After thinking it over I''m going to go ahead and get the single DBTY pendent. I know she loves diamonds and the aquamarine necklace would be a complete guess.

My only worry is that the pendent will be to small? They don''t give much info beyond carat size on the Tiffany site. Have any of you seen this pendent in person?

I''ve searched the forum and can''t find a picture of anyone wearing this piece.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike, I just bought my friend a DBTY bracelet with a 5 pointer and it is small but noticeable. I did see the 3 point version (like the necklace you are thinking about and yes it is quite small, but nice still. Very delicate. Would your budget allow for this

It still uses 3 pointers but there are three of them!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results