shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald diamond help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sleeplater

Rough_Rock
0.73 E VVS2 GIA $2,600 65.2 64 GD VG None 6.51x4.28x2.79

I''m very new to this, I understand the color, carat and clarity, and I like the grades here for that, but the depth, table, polish and symmetry are foreign to me. Can you help me grade this diamond based on those (4) items I just listed? In the specs at the top those items are sequential from the value: (65.2) to (VG). Thanks,

Kyle

PS If I listed the price could you tell me if this is a good deal?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out Dave Atlas's cut charts? You can find them at http://www.gemappraisers.com/ by clicking on the AGA cut grade charts and rules.

From the chart, it looks as though your stone is a little deep which means it will face up a bit smaller than other stones of the same size.

Hopefully an expert will reply and tell you whether the depth is something to be concerned about!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call 65% depth in an EC rather low - something close to 70% is more usual. All in all, I would not consider those numbers as detraction but wander a bit of how the stone actually looks like - and for that table and depth are definitely not sufficient information.

Will this stone be smaller than others of less depth? Maybe, but it is debatable if one may want to seek the proverbial needle of less than 65% depth just to find out that the respective is a flat stone with no life.

Also worth keeping in mind are the stone's proportions: 65% depth means a different thing in a 1.5:1 L/W stone thanin a square or round, since depth is computed relative to the width (the shorter section).

"Very Good" symmetyry is very good news for a non-round and if the difference reative to "Good" woudl show in any shape, than a step cut like this has the greatest chances to benefit from the extra touch
1.gif

All in all - those numbers loos smashing. Is it feasible to take a look at the stone (at least in pictures) before buying it?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a good stone, but I would recommend getting a Sarin report to make sure the crown is >11% and an IdealScope image so that you can get an idea of the leakage present in this particular stone.
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a pretty fine cut. Table and depth in the low-mid 60s is perfect, with the caveat that with fancy cuts the numbers may not tell all. Even so, as Giangi said, there's a lot more than just table and depth to determine if it's a great stone, with crown angle being one of the more important stats. If you can get a Sarin that would help a lot.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Random question: if the cut charts say stones < or = to 65% cover the 1A-2A, shouldn't sleeplater look for a stone in this range? I know that, with princess stones, there are more stones out of the ideal range than in it, but I searched until I found a stone that met the desired specifications. As I said before, I know nothing about emerald cuts, but I don't understand why Dave wouldn't have made his charts to cover a wider range of depths if they are considered great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results