shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I have a tourmaline that''s 8.5mm and I have my eye on a bezel setting where the opening for the stone is 9.3mm. Is this doable or should I be looking for a setting that''s a bit more exact?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is nearly 1mm, which I don''t think is doable, since the stone would be too loose in the bezel.

What is the setting like? Perhaps a jeweler could add some metal inside the bezel to make it smaller, but this could be trick and expensive.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture. It''s made of platinum if that makes a difference.

dsc_004831.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask a jeweler whom you are thinking of taking it to whether they can do it or not. I know I usually ask Michael E at gemshoppe.com about things like this as he seem to be very experienced in bezeling and I usually listen to him. Some jeweler might not be comfortable or are not skilled in working with a variance, others could do a smashing job - just depends on who you work with sometimes I think.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just finished my taxes, was out cruisin'' the web and saw this. Oh, that is a PRETTY ring kismet. In answer to your question; that setting is too large, as is, to hold your stone at the correct height. The stone would most likely drop in the setting significantly...BUT all is not lost. A good bench person can make a wire ring of the correct size and solder it into that setting just under where the stone will be sitting. This will raise the stone to the correct height as well as center it accurately. If the bezel material is high enough and not too far away, it could probably be used as is. If your bench person feels that it''s too far, then another bezel ring can be made and fitted inside of the existing bezel, (which would need to be cut down). Both rings could be millgrained, beaded or engraved to avoid to a large expanse of polished metal on the bezel and make the entire piece look as if it were made that way. I hope that helps !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results