shape
carat
color
clarity

reasonable price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleansocks

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m having an engagement ring constructed for a diamond I already own. It''s going to be a very thin (2mm x 2.3mm) shank in 14K yellow gold leading up to a circular basket with pave diamonds around the outside of the basket (16 total x .005 ct each for a total of .08 ct). The basket and short prongs from the basket to the diamond will be 18K white gold. Ring size is 6.

All in all a pretty simple design. Cheapest I''ve been able to find someone to make it in my town is $950. For some reason this feels expensive. Does this seem expensive to you all?

Thanks for the help.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that sounds pretty reasonable. You''re having a ring made custom. The man hours alone to design it via CAD (computer aided design) and then to manufacture it are significant. Then you get into the cost of the materials.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t seem super high to me either.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s a decent price. Sounds really pretty.

vsol

Rough_Rock
Have you tried looking around the internet or in boutiques for a similar ring? i know from recent experience finding the exact ring you''re looking for (especially a thin one!) is very hard but if you''re willing to settle a little and spend some time looking i bet you can find something close for cheaper.

Another idea is to find a ring which is similar and ask the jeweler if they can modify it for you (for example whiteflash was willing to make one of their designs thinner for me for much less than a complete customization would be -- i didn''t end up doing that but it''s an idea).

Also, depending on where you live jewelry prices can vary greatly. I happen to live in a fairly cheap part of the US in terms of jewelery and had some pretty cheap quotes done. From what you want I don''t know that you''ll find much cheaper but you can always research jewelers online and send them your specifications through email. They can give you a rough quote and then email CAD designs if you get that far into it. Not as good as working with a jeweler in person but might be worth the cheaper price.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 2:08:12 PM
Author:cleansocks
Hi,

I''m having an engagement ring constructed for a diamond I already own. It''s going to be a very thin (2mm x 2.3mm) shank in 14K yellow gold leading up to a circular basket with pave diamonds around the outside of the basket (16 total x .005 ct each for a total of .08 ct). The basket and short prongs from the basket to the diamond will be 18K white gold. Ring size is 6.

All in all a pretty simple design. Cheapest I''ve been able to find someone to make it in my town is $950. For some reason this feels expensive. Does this seem expensive to you all?

Thanks for the help.

I think it sounds pretty cheap actually. It''s hard to find ready made mounts for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results