shape
carat
color
clarity

So when you have a 3 stone ring, with a larger center stone....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
is it normal for the center stone to look darker. First off, I just picked it up and love it. It looks great. In normal light conditions it looks fantastic - but looking straight down at it in somewhat lower light conditions the center stone looks a bit darker - almost like a clear charcol color if that makes sense. It''s an ideal cut 1.78ct, H VS1. The side stones are about .30 each.

Thoughts? My gut is telling me that as it''s larger than the other one I originally posted about (1.27 D), it take more light to reflect. Less light = less sparkle (duh?)

TIA.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
just to add a little - when I saw "somewhat lower light" what I really mean is a pretty poorly lit room at night. Right now, for istance, I'm in 20x20 room w/ windows for 1/4 of the room, and just two 60 watt lights in the ceiling....just to clarify. ;-)

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, this is normal. Every stone that is smaller and the same color (or even a shade lower in color) will usually look 'whiter' (not necessarily brighter) when compared to a larger stone. Sad but true. That is usually why jewelers will usually suggest placing lower colored side stones next to a larger stone. Most settings also follow this rule. I used to think that ring makers were just being 'cheap', but it actually done for a reason. A majority of people choose H-I-J stones as their center stone, so you don't want purchasers unhappy with their color selection compared to the mounting.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
So here is a pic - pardon the smudge on the back but I've been touching it a lot. Anyways, this is what I mean - does this look bad considering it's a low light situation? Is there something wrong w/ it? I'll take more pics during the day tomorrow and post w/ full light as well for comparison sake.

Rock1.jpg

Stomp

Rough_Rock
...and the specs:

Size: 1.78
Color: H
Clarit: VS1
Depth: 62.5%
Table: 58%
Grdl: Med-Stk-F
Cul: None
Flr: None
Pol: Good
Sym: Good/Very Good

Dag-nab-it - I thought it was GIA (the other stone I had been looking at was), but turns out it's EGL.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Stomp,

Is it EGL USA?

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to check out this thread just for reference.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Yes - it's EGL USA. The lab report, however, starts w/ a US76 - not the "better" LA branch. Daylight photos to follow.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Here's a pic when the flash fired.

Rock2.jpg

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Here's a closeup - but it's totally overcast today so I'm not gettin the sunlight I was hoping for
sad.gif

Rock4.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Stomp, I'm wondering if your mean the color looks more "yellow" as in a lower color grade, or if the center stone just looks "darker."

People have posted here about how super-ideal cut diamonds can look dark-greyish in low light.

I wonder if this is what you are noticing?

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Lastly - a picture when it's in the box almost completely closed.

Rock11.jpg

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Patty,
That greyer color is exactly what I'm refering to - mainly in lower light.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it look bad... are you joking ?
2.gif

It looks like the center has different proportions than the sides, but, again, you do not get the same good look down through the table on the side stones - both due to their relative position and size.

Color and clarity shold have naught to do with what tells apart the stones in these pictures.

Do you have the proporions of the stones ? And, by all means, small diamonds look different than big ones
11.gif
, regardless.

Stomp

Rough_Rock
I don't have the proportions of the small ones besides that they are full-cut round brilliant @ .60 combined weight.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Stomp, maybe someone else can find one of the old threads discussing the "grey" look that ideal cuts tend to have in low light. Or I can look a bit later when I get a chance. And I just noticed that you referred to the color as "clear charoal." I think that is an accurate description of how my stone looks sometimes.

Having said that, though, I forgot to say that the ring is gorgeous!

Stomp

Rough_Rock
Thanks Patty - but as you can see (if you've seen my "hosed" thread), I'm a bit concerned the angles ended up not being what was represented to me. Luckily I still have the handwritten measurements from the GIA Gemologist...it should workout - but could screw my proposal timing
8.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!! Absolutely stunning.

The arrows are visible in the different lightings, so it looks to have good representation of the pattern, possibly you may be catching also the reflection/scintillation of the dark arrows against the rest of the stone? The depth is a little high for the super ideal kind of numbers, and I don't know the background on the angles etc...but get it independently appraised and get an expert opinion. Honestly, an experienced independent appraiser will know what to look at and for while pictures posted on an internet forum may not be the best way for consumers who like diamonds to judge your stone eh?
2.gif
I'm sure it's fine but it will set your mind at ease.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results