shape
carat
color
clarity

Two antique/vintage ring possibilities - which/either?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

opticnerve2k4

Rough_Rock
Reading these forums has been a big help as I've started looking for the right ring, so thanks to everyone who posts. Here's my question: I have been looking for the right antique/vintage ring. I saw two great 1920s rings today, but I don't know what's a fair price to pay. I'm also not sure how to judge the cut of older diamonds - do the same crown and pavilion stats apply? Could anyone give me some advice how to figure out what I should be willing to pay for rings with these stones, or tips on what to ask in order to assess the rings &/or stones in more detail? Thanks a lot in advance.

#1: Asscher cut, 1.99 ct, L, VS1 - slight but noticeable color, not huge-looking (prob. very deep), didn't seem all that brilliant

#2: Cushion cut, 2.02 ct, I, SI1 - scintillated but no rainbow colors (fire--?), looked fairly big (shallower?), oval maybe 1.3:1 proportions

[I've also been told that most old rings have lower-color stones because the better ones were recut into round brilliants - is this true?]

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The story with higher color old cuts being "recycled" may be true - at least very often recounted, and those stones are illusive enough regardless. It is not impossible to find D-F old miner diamonds, for example but those are better tracked by placing orders for them since not to many shops specialize in such pieces to stock them routinely. Besides, old models (more often OMC an d cushion, by Asscher too) are cut nowadays as well - only not al that many.

As for cut standards, well, thta's another story. The old Asschers are expected to be deep cut with small tables and unusually high crowns (say near 80% deep, with 45%-55% table) - so the extra depth is excused. I am not aware of any such allowance made for cushion cuts. The lack of brilliance is not exactly excused, regardless of age.

As for price, you can definitely take the cost of modern fancy cuts as refference, but I would add a grain of salt - if these are period rings, the price would reflect the craftmanship and rarity of the finished pieces on top of what it would cost to make some new look-alike.
rolleyes.gif

Just my 0.2, of course...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results