shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs. White Gold with Pave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read all of the platinum vs. white gold threads, and understand the differences in the way that they wear.

My question is about how these differences would play out in a pave or engraved setting vs. plain metal?

I am debating between a micro-pave band with diamonds all around (similar to Ritani Endless Love) or an engraved setting with tiny diamonds.

I know that platinum usually scratches more, but can be buffed back, and white gold can begin to yellow, but can be re-plated.

Will a setting like this not really show scratches in the first place though? Will it be difficult to buff or re-plate around a lot of small diamonds?

Do people have an opinion about which metal would be a better choice in this case?

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is a tougher, softer setting, so that would be my choice for that style of setting. The prongs will bend better around tiny stones, making loss less likely in the long run. With this style of band, you shouldn't see much change to the setting due to scratches. With either metal, I would not suggest buffing, since the amount of metal is so slight around each stone. You just may buff away the stone's support over time. With white gold, there is no problem plating around tiny stones, due to the nature of plating. The piece is just dipped into a solution that contains rhodium. Only the metal attracts the plating metal, leaving the diamonds totally untouched.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Engraved or pave set designs are perfect for platinum.

Conversly,It is the ring designs with flat, large smooth surface areas that seem to bother most customers because of the easy scratching and marring of platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results