shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I buy beading/jewels to add to my dress??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know where I can buy crystals/beads/pearls to add to my dress? I got a priscilla of boston dress but it doesn''t have any beading. I would love to add some to give it extra sparkle but don''t know where I can buy them from, any ideas??

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I''m happy that you found something you like! Can you please share which gown you ended up with and where you got it? Did you end up going to the local Philly POB store?

Second, what sort of beading do you want and where are you going to put it on the gown? It might actually be easier to get an applique of sorts and attach that. In Philadelphia there is Fabric Row (south of South Street on 4th Street) and there are a couple of stores there that sell bridal tims and such. One of them is called Maxie''s Daughter. I have bought veil material (lace trim for myself and a friend) and chuppah material there as well. The store is jam packed but they do have a ton of beaded stuff and a decent collection of appliques. The other place you might want to ask around at is Zoll''s. I believe that place is all notions, trims, etc. Not actual fabric but all of the other stuff you would need (buttons, ribbon, trim, thread, etc). When I was looking for my veil trim I found some beaded stuff there.

Good luck!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would not bead a dress yourself - especially an expensive one. Either buy one with beading, or have a professional do it for you.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 11:17:50 AM
Author: elrohwen
Honestly, I would not bead a dress yourself - especially an expensive one. Either buy one with beading, or have a professional do it for you.
Ditto!! PLEASE have a pro do the beading. You went through all the stress of finding this one (with the threads to prove it!) and we''d all hate to have it potentially ruined.
7.gif

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
Are you thinking of a belt or some kind of already beaded strap/accessory that you can add onto the dress without sewing? If so, I would try Etsy they have quite a few really pretty beaded and otherwise adorned sashes/belts for wedding dresses. But if not, I would agree with the other posters and not add any kind of beading myself.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 11:41:21 AM
Author: cupcake*muffin
Are you thinking of a belt or some kind of already beaded strap/accessory that you can add onto the dress without sewing? If so, I would try Etsy they have quite a few really pretty beaded and otherwise adorned sashes/belts for wedding dresses. But if not, I would agree with the other posters and not add any kind of beading myself.
I meant to mention the belt or sash earlier as well. I do agree with the other posters about not making this a DIY thing. Though, if you insist on making it a DIY project, head to Fabric Row to the stores I listed above.
1.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Step away from the bedazzler!

Seriously, though, not a great idea. You could easily ruin the dress and that is an expensive craft project to have to scrap.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my dress!! #4506

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=51198

What do you all think? I love it, its everything I want, and I couldn''t spend any more time looking for a dress. It''s perfect except that it doesn''t have any crystals or the sparkle factor that looks soo pretty in pics! I was thinking of buy beading/crystals and having my mom (who is very experienced) sew them carefully into the open parts of the lace. Does that make sense? Like a little tiny sparkly bead (not tacky or too flashy) into the center of each rose or something like that...? What do you think?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 3:00:59 PM
Author: Carats
Here''s my dress!! #4506

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=51198

What do you all think? I love it, its everything I want, and I couldn''t spend any more time looking for a dress. It''s perfect except that it doesn''t have any crystals or the sparkle factor that looks soo pretty in pics! I was thinking of buy beading/crystals and having my mom (who is very experienced) sew them carefully into the open parts of the lace. Does that make sense? Like a little tiny sparkly bead (not tacky or too flashy) into the center of each rose or something like that...? What do you think?
Love the dress you chose! Its gorgeous!

I wouldn''t touch it. Its chic and stunning as is. It has interesting aspects of it (the mermaid shape, the sweetheart neckline, the way the train is put together, the scalloped hemline from the lace, the covered buttons, the v-shaped back...) to not need anything more. The lace is noticeable and the shine of the silk satin gives the dress a glamorous look.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Don''t do it! The dress is glam as is. The satin will give it a good sheen in pics, and honestly, I never notice beading in pictures. Take a look through the dress thread (sticky at the top) and maybe you''ll see what I mean.

I also wouldn''t want to risk something happening to the dress. Then you''d really be screwed!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 3:16:04 PM
Author: sunnyd
Don''t do it! The dress is glam as is. The satin will give it a good sheen in pics, and honestly, I never notice beading in pictures. Take a look through the dress thread (sticky at the top) and maybe you''ll see what I mean.

I also wouldn''t want to risk something happening to the dress. Then you''d really be screwed!
I meant to say this too (man, where is my brain today?). You mentioned it specifically but unless the photograher takes a macro detailed shot of your gown, you likely won''t notice the beading in pictures. Not unless there is a ton of it.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
Well see I saw a video of this girl''s wedding and the thing that really caught my eye and gave me this idea is that her dress''s crystals would catch the light and really sparkle in the video. It just glimmered with the crystals playing w light. My dress won''t do that and so I thought it may be nice to modify it...I def want to find beautiful designer looking crystals not just anything ordinary or cheap looking. I could always just place them on the dress before sewing just to see what it would look like??

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I still wouldn''t do it, but it''s your dress.
40.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
It is a beautiful dress...I think it is great on its own

If you want to experiment with perhaps putting crystals on a practice piece of fabric/lace...then you could see how hard it would be and what it would look like...

There are many type of crystals that would work (to practice with)...If you want the good ones you can get Swarovski...if you just want some bling but no color...your best bet is the color Crystal AB (plain might be too blah) it has a little pizzazz...or crystal moonlight...

There are many versions...depend on what you want to do...and they come in different sizes...you amy want to stick wiht the smaller sizes...2mm round (tiny) or 3mm round or bicone...I thinkthe 4mm might be too big...they do make sequin type in both sew and glue on (I dont recommend the glue on ones (Hotfix)...

To look at what is out there...you best bet (other than my craft room
6.gif
) is to stop by you local bead store (not Michaeal's or Hobby Lobby...although they do have some) to see what they look like....I am not sure where you live...but yo ucan look in the back of Bead and Button or Beadwork (copies probably at your local Barnes and Nobel and Borders...etc) for a list of bead stores...

Again beautiful dress...try a practice fabric first...

diane

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Carats,

If mom is experienced, I think you should go for it. I'm making my bridesmaid jewelry, so if she knows what she's doing, I'd be all over it. I still haven't conned my mom into making my veil, and I still haven't conned myself into spending $200 on something I'm going to wear for 30 minutes, but that's another story...

Okay, so, if I were you, I would use these sites:

www.inmcrystal.com

www.firemountaingems.com

I'd buy the swarovski bicones at 2-3mm, clear crystal, though she could add some very pale blue ones for your something blue. Also, get the AB (aurora borealis) swarovskis, they'll sparkle more. But then remember, w/ AB, less is more and it will give the lace a nice little pick up if she does it right.

INM is in Florida, they have a wide selection and I think their prices are very good. That is where I'll be buying my crystals for the BM gifts.

Happy sewing!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I think it might cheapen the look of the overall dress--the lace is chic and sophisticated. Crystals make me think more of prom.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
The dress is lovely as is and I would not add beading. However, if you must, please have the seamstress at POB do it. I know they will customize their dresses, and this way if it goes wrong it will be on them. There is a difference between being a skilled seamstress (hemming and general tailoring) and the skill needed to handbead a high end wedding gown.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I would not touch it at all! I do think there is such a thing as too much. In my opinion, that dress is beautiful as it is.

You spent a pretty penny already (I know because I too have a POB dress). And honestly, for that kind of money, if it didn''t have everything I wanted, I would not have bought it. Did you get the idea to add the beading after you bought the dress?

Maybe you could find a way to add that sparkle in other ways. My veil is also from POB and cathedral length with swarovski crystals and sparkly beading around the edge. Maybe they have one that would also include flower appliques to tie in your dress. Also earrings and headpiece could give you that sparkle.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 8:15:25 PM
Author: NovemberBride
The dress is lovely as is and I would not add beading. However, if you must, please have the seamstress at POB do it. I know they will customize their dresses, and this way if it goes wrong it will be on them. There is a difference between being a skilled seamstress (hemming and general tailoring) and the skill needed to handbead a high end wedding gown.
Ditto. Unless your mom regularly beads high end wedding dresses, don''t do it!

I have also never noticed beading in wedding pictures - I don''t think it shows up at all really. I also don''t really notice it on wedding shows on tv either. I do notice lace though.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn''t do it. You''ve chosen a classy, sophisticated dress. If you feel you must have beading, take it to a professional.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

First off, I am a beader and have done work professionally, so I have a good idea of what I am talking about

The first question of whether to bead or not. If you are having an indoor wedding, I doubt it would be worth the time investment. On a outdoor wedding I would though. It makes a huge difference it you have good beading and the sparkle is totally worth it. I would not have gotten a dress without for my outdoor ceremony.

If you decide to do it, here are the things I would recommend. First, to do what you want will take a LONG time, possibly in the triple digits of hours.
Second, ONLY bead on little bead in the rosettes of lace. If you make one wrong pin prick on the body of the gown, it will show and look tacky.
Third, Use the smallest beads you can. I highly suggest getting very small Swarovski crystals. They are expensive but are by far the best way to get the sparkle.
Forth, do not try to bead patterns. There are impossible to get right on the first try and like I said, it will leave tacky marks on the gown.
Fifth, I would use white D thread. It is strong without being too big for small beads.
Finally, start somewhere unnoticable so if there is a problem or you change your mind, it is not a disaster

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 4:07:17 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

First off, I am a beader and have done work professionally, so I have a good idea of what I am talking about

The first question of whether to bead or not. If you are having an indoor wedding, I doubt it would be worth the time investment. On a outdoor wedding I would though. It makes a huge difference it you have good beading and the sparkle is totally worth it. I would not have gotten a dress without for my outdoor ceremony.

If you decide to do it, here are the things I would recommend. First, to do what you want will take a LONG time, possibly in the triple digits of hours.

Second, ONLY bead on little bead in the rosettes of lace. If you make one wrong pin prick on the body of the gown, it will show and look tacky.

Third, Use the smallest beads you can. I highly suggest getting very small Swarovski crystals. They are expensive but are by far the best way to get the sparkle.

Forth, do not try to bead patterns. There are impossible to get right on the first try and like I said, it will leave tacky marks on the gown.

Fifth, I would use white D thread. It is strong without being too big for small beads.

Finally, start somewhere unnoticable so if there is a problem or you change your mind, it is not a disaster

Off topic, but BIH nice to see you back around these parts!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results