shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you say you bought your diamond online?

How do you respond when they ask you where you bought your ring?

• Tell them exactly which website.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Be very vague/ give them an unclear answer.

• Tell them a local store/ Any random big name store like Jareds, etc.

• Other.

• None of your business!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I know many PSers have bought their diamond or setting or online.

If you've bought your rings online: When friends ask you where you bought it, what do you say?

Do you lie and tell them a store nearby (or specific name of a store) or tell them you bought it online? And please explain why
1.gif

Forgive me and direct me elsewhere if there has already been a thread about this.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nah, I just tell them what vendor I bought my diamond from, and when the ask the location? I tell them exactly in what state, and just tell them everything was done via email and online- I''m a proud online shopper
5.gif

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the UK and my fiance bought my ring from Blue Nile. I tell everyone who asks where it is from - it didn't even occur to me to be ashamed of it! People buy so much online now, even the less computer-literate (eg from Amazon) that it doesn't seem to be an issue. Plus I like to educate those who might be thinking of making a diamond purchase, just to show that not all diamonds are the murky cloudy things you tend to get in shops here...

That said, I met my fiance online - and I don't tell everyone that
11.gif

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
lol, I am a very proud online shopper as well. I LOVE bargain hunting!

My fiance already told our VERY close friend since he asked (He's one of the only ones who knows we are getting engaged) He asked for his cousin who wants to shop for a ring to propose for his girlfriend. I was happy to give him websites to choose from, descriptions and advise I learned from PS and specific names of who to ask for.

But our other friends all have rings from Tiffany's etc. We already know they are going to ask and we are wondering if we should tell them or how in detail. We just talked about it for a few minutes and did not come to a clear conclusion.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I voted Tell them exactly which website. I''ll tell people I bought it online and if they care to know the details I''ll tell them which website.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cinna,

I always tell them where I got my ring from. I am in the UK and I think the more people that get the diamond education that PS and its vendors offer, the better. I HATE HATE HATE my friends getting ripped off at B and M or dodgy online stores! Information is the key so the more people that tell, then more people can make informed choices.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
In the words of Timmy Turner...........INTERNET
I buy everything on line including my car.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Seems like the overwheming response is telling them exactly where and how for PSers.
9.gif

Not sure about the others though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
of course i lie. i tell em i bought the ring from Harry Winston and for 3X what i really paid.
31.gif
they wouldn''t know the difference anyway.

luckyme502

Rough_Rock
I have never even given it a second thought telling people I bought my ring online.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I tell people exactly where I got things when they ask. It''s raised a few eyebrows, but oh well. I''m content with my purchases.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t purchase my diamond online, but I did purchase my setting online. It never occurred to me that buying online would be something to hide. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring, I don''t care where it came from!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha. I have been known to take people to the nearest available internet access and show them the DBL website!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why lie about it? I don''t get it. I loved working with the vendor I did to make my engagement ring and wedding band, and I''d happily do so again if/when the time comes. I tell people exactly where I got it.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 4:03:06 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
I didn't purchase my diamond online, but I did purchase my setting online. It never occurred to me that buying online would be something to hide. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring, I don't care where it came from!
My post got eaten, so to make things short:

To clarify I'm in no way ashamed, I've already told a couple people (INCLUDING my parents, which my FI was very nervous of doing so) where, how and who to go to to buy their engagement rings or how we got it. Lying about where you got the ring is NOT necesarrily because you're ashamed, did not mean to infer that. There is also the idea of even though you want to help other girls... I don't want them to seemingly find a bigger ring
1.gif
.. yes I know. I'm horrible in that thought process. Our ring, although it was not our intention... will blow all of our friends' rings out of the park, even though they all bought it from the Tiffanys store.

In my social circle and especially in the older generations of my family, it would probably be viewed as buying a ring from Costco (which we seriously considered, picked out the ring except someone bought it from under us. It was a 1.76 F VS2 EC... so if you have it... show me!
1.gif
) More the idea of buying a ring at a bargain price (Not saying it's a bad thing at all) but it can raise ideas of not buying the best quality at first glance (which yes, we PSers know that is ridiculous). Or it can make them start buying it from there and you know... I think deep inside every girl loves to see everyone else staring at the bling on your left hand!

So merely curious as to what others do.

Dancing Circle: LOL!! Do you really???

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring wasn''t purchased online, but for everything else, I say online. Nobody says anything except for jewelers who are quick to explain how I made a mistake and should have purchased from their store instead.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I understand how you feel Cinna. I haven't bought my ring yet but I have considered and I'm tempted to say, if asked, the city that it came from. As in, we found the stone in Houston. (Close friends and relatives would be told, of course, if asked).

My bf is of "ethnic" descent. It's still very traditional and I've noticed many Asian and Indian-looking hands getting very large diamonds, if their partners can afford it. Having wealth and being able to show it off, unfortunately, is rather prized in certain cultures - a very "new money" kind of idea. Big cars, showy houses - this comes with the territory some times. Our close friends are not like that but there's enough of that sentiment underlying around.

To say you've bought something for a deal online would be sort of a no-no, even if you did. For one, it would look bad for my fiance, as if he "didn't go all the way for me", even if the diamond is huge and gorgeous. They don't care if it's better than anything possibly seen in this square mile.

Secondly, no matter how unpopular this statement will be here - it's true for some traditional cultures and elders - that it is less valuable or worthy if bought online. Think of the sentiment that makes people buy from Tiffany's - now apply it to people who did not buy from Tiffany's, nor the shiny local store next to it, but from what, in their warped minds, is some shady dealer over the internet or ebay and gawd knows what you actually have there. ("You sure that shiny little thing is not glass?")

I know that's not true. But gossip in a small ethnic community, disapproving looks and slights about online shopping and the prevalence of CZ's on ebay is not what I'm looking for after I get engaged. Of course, if I choose to go this route, it would not apply to close friends and family - whom I would be more than happy to assist with their diamond-shopping needs online.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Cinna, I understand what you mean. If that was the case amongst my family/friends, I would simply tell them which vendor I bought it from, without explicitly mentioning it was an online store. If they asked where they were based, I would say which city, and that because of the distance we ordered it from them and had it shipped out to us.

For example, "We had my ring made by Blue Nile, who are a jewellery company based in Seattle, and had it delivered to us", rather than "We bought my ring online". Perfectly honest but presented in a different way.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t buy online because I found Pricescope too late. I guarantee you I will purchase online next time and I tell anyone who asks exactly that.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I tell them I bought it in NY and we did everything over the internet :)

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 4:21:29 PM
Author: Cinna
Date: 3/26/2010 4:03:06 PM

Author: PinkAsscher678

I didn''t purchase my diamond online, but I did purchase my setting online. It never occurred to me that buying online would be something to hide. A beautiful ring is a beautiful ring, I don''t care where it came from!

My post got eaten, so to make things short:

To clarify I''m in no way ashamed, I''ve already told a couple people (INCLUDING my parents, which my FI was very nervous of doing so) where, how and who to go to to buy their engagement rings or how we got it. Lying about where you got the ring is NOT necesarrily because you''re ashamed, did not mean to infer that. There is also the idea of even though you want to help other girls... I don''t want them to seemingly find a bigger ring
1.gif
.. yes I know. I''m horrible in that thought process. Our ring, although it was not our intention... will blow all of our friends'' rings out of the park, even though they all bought it from the Tiffanys store.

In my social circle and especially in the older generations of my family, it would probably be viewed as buying a ring from Costco (which we seriously considered, picked out the ring except someone bought it from under us. It was a 1.76 F VS2 EC... so if you have it... show me!
1.gif
) More the idea of buying a ring at a bargain price (Not saying it''s a bad thing at all) but it can raise ideas of not buying the best quality at first glance (which yes, we PSers know that is ridiculous). Or it can make them start buying it from there and you know... I think deep inside every girl loves to see everyone else staring at the bling on your left hand!

So merely curious as to what others do.

Dancing Circle: LOL!! Do you really???

I gotcha! It''s all good. I was really super nervous about buying my setting online, but in reality I saved a nice chunk of change and it was a great experience! But putting a diamond in the mail... that thought makes me totally scared!
32.gif

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
MC:
38.gif
Any jeweler who would say that to me, I don''t think I could have trusted My Precious over to him.

Iota: Exactly what a big part of my situation is, glad that some people understand but not glad that you''re going through it as well. I come from a very traditional asian family and our whole community is as well. So that is how it piqued my curiousity about other PSers.
4.gif

That''s a great idea LilyKat!

Pink Assher:
Poor Lesley at BGD. I placed my diamond on the foam that was provided, wrapped that up in the waxy paper and then placed it in an empty Burberry gift card envelope, then taped that down and then wrapped that in bubble wrap, then put in in a box surrounded by scrunched up old chipotle paper bags. And then I clear taped the box over and over so that every single inch of it was covered in clear packaging tape. And then placed it in a big postal envelope at the post office....

A bit of overkill when mailing a diamond only 7-8 mm wide?
9.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I would tell them online - most people aren''t interested beyond that. If they are, I would certainly tell them which vendor - can''t think of a reason not to

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, and explain why and who I have bought from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results