shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help (like others)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilikecats

Rough_Rock
I purchased the ring and picked up on Thursday and have been trying to think of a good way to propose. We''ve been together for over 4 years now and met at school (Michigan). Michigan has been a big part of our lives (especially football) and I would like to go back on campus and propose somewhere there. The problem with this is that the only times we go back there are for sporting events or if we''re visting friends (which means we''re probably drinking a good amount of alcohol, and definitely not a good time to propose).

At this time there is no football, and I''ve only had tickets for some basketball games at this season. My girlfriend actually hates basketball, but doesn''t mind going to Michigan games. I don''t want to propose to her if she feels like I''m just dragging her there to watch a basketball game. I don''t have any other good reason to bring her over there, and it would probably seem very obvious if I did since I get the feeling that she already knows I bought the ring.

I''m having trouble with coming up with something I can do at home. A nice dinner and private proposal sounds good, but it''s also difficult because she can be really picky with food sometimes (e.g., yesterday she was starving after we worked out but didn''t feel like eating ANYTHING and went with cereal for dinner).

I also think a private proposal would work nicely because I''m a very quiet/not talkative person. There have been a few times where she''s asked me why I love her. You can call me a cold-hearted person, but I couldn''t really come up with words to describe at those times just because I''m not the best at articulating that kind of stuff - I just know I do and I leave it at that. But I''ve of course thought it out by now and withheld my answers the last couple times she''s asked so I could save it for my proposal. Problem is I can''t decide the best way/time to do it.

I would like to do it on a weekend (maybe Sunday!) and I always get up before her. I''ve thought about doing it in the morning - not right when she gets up. I could maybe prepare a nice breakfast since I''m really the cook, but it seems like it would be random. Any thoughts on this?

FWIW, she would almost definitely still be very happy even if I just randomly presented her the ring and said "Will you marry me?" - I''m not worried about a wow factor here.

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
How close are you to Ann Arbor now? Maybe you could get tickets to a concert or something there (would that be weird?) and use it as an excuse to go?

You mention your gf is a picky eater- does she have a favorite meal or restaurant? Or maybe even something she really likes to do or something the two of you like to do together? You mentioned that you work out together- one of my cousins proposed to his wife with personalized Nike running shoes and another set up a picnic along his gf''s running route and surprised her. If she''s a runner, maybe you could work something like that in?

I also like the idea of a private proposal at home.. breakfast on a Sunday followed by a proposal would be really sweet!
1.gif

ilikecats

Rough_Rock
Scratch the breakfast idea. I thought it over more and don''t really like it so much.

I have a new idea. We don''t celebrate Valentines Day, and so she jokingly told me I better send her flowers. The last time she joked about me sending flowers I did it and she loved it (and loved that everyone at her work was jealous). Well I already ordered her some for Wednesday as the "surprise" flowers.

Then I thought I would try to send her a flower or small bouquet throughout the following day (Thurs), each with a reason for why I love her. Then when she gets home I can have more flowers + ring + nice dinner prepared by the fireplace.

Now one problem is that I don''t really know of any place that delivers flowers at scheduled times. I can deliver myself, but there is a very big risk that she would see me (and many of her coworkers have met me before). Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I love your flower idea! Maybe you could contact a local florist and see if they could schedule dropoffs for you. If not, do you know her schedule? Does she go out for lunch? Maybe you could have one of your friends drop it off at her work and it''d be waiting for her when she gets back from lunch. This way, no one would recognize your friend.

Good luck with your proposal!!!

speechie

Rough_Rock
I know football season is over, but I looked on the athletic department website and the Michigan spring game is Saturday, April 17. I''m assuming the spring game is a pretty big deal, like it is at many other schools, and that could serve as a great reason to head to Ann Arbor for the weekend!. You could do a private proposal somewhere on campus that has meaning to you both and then maybe meet up with friends/ family to tailgate and attend the game?! I bet you could even arrange for UofM to show "Congrats on your engagement" on one of the screens

ilikecats

Rough_Rock
Oh believe me, I know the spring game is April 17. We plan on going, but the problem is that''s 2 months away, and I''d like to propose very soon. It''s something that''s been a long time coming.

The other reason I am planning on Thursday is because a good friend of ours is having a birthday party this weekend. I figured Thursday would be our night to celebrate, and then we would have the weekend to celebrate with friends. Then she can also go talk about all kinds of things with her other 2 girlfriends that recently got engaged.

I did talk to a florist today that is just down the road from her work. They are able to do scheduled deliveries, especially since it''s less than a mile away. A somewhat big problem with my plan of sending flowers at several times throughout the day - my girlfriend does a good amount of driving for her job. With her schedules, there''s no telling how often she''ll be in the office to receive the flowers. I''ve decided to send 2 bouquets, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, to help deal with this. I don''t really want her coming back to her desk with 4 different messages read all at once - it kind of defeats the purpose. This seems to be a happy medium for what I wanted to do.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
So I''m not sure if it''s the same for Michigan, but at an amazing school in Wisconsin
25.gif
hehe...evil...but seriously, at Wisconsin you can "rent" both the band and the Mascot. Bring Michigan to you! My buddy did this for his now wife at their wedding as a surprise. No one knew they''d be there except the groom so it was a HUGE hit. The band basically get''s an email about the event and who every can make it comes so you won''t get the full band, but about 20 band members came to their wedding and played for about 30 minutes and it was amazing. Bucky Badger was there too dancing like a fool with everyone else while the band played.

I think the price was pretty reasonable too, but the coolest part is that surprise factor to see her face with a proposal like that! I''d check into it!

Cj

jlx

Rough_Rock
GO BLUE!!!! i was at michigan for a year, but ended up transferring out. i loved my time there though!

how about a nice dinner at a restaurant on main street, and a proposal in nichols arboretum at night?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results