shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you pick your hair and makeup people?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
Did you just look at there portfolio and go "yes,they do good work let''s book them!" or did you go more in depth then that? I think

I found someone who''s portfolio I love,but don''t want to just book them on a whim.any advice?

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
For me it was two-fold. Once I found someone''s portfolio and prices that were what I was looking for I had to find out if they would travel to the island we are getting married on. Eventually, after NO ONE returned my calls/emails, I finally found someone that I liked that could do both hair and makeup so it worked out. But I was really worried for a while there.

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
For me it was a matter of getting a recommendation from other people in the wedding industry, and/or good ratings on yelp.com or weddingwire.com. From there I looked at portfolios and narrowed it down based on whether I liked their portfolios. Then it was calling/emailing around doing price-checks. I wound up going with someone who was $50 more than the cheapest on my list, but whose portfolio was much better. Had my trial the other day and I really loved her!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at their portfolios, got a feel for how well they communicated and how prompt they were with response times, and then I set up trials to see who I liked the best. I chose the first hairstylist I found, and the second MUA.

I wouldn''t have trusted someone to do my hair or makeup for the first time on my wedding day.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I found reveiws on Weddingwire.com

Then looked into their websites and prices.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I asked for a referral from our contact at the resort. The make up artist was from their own spa, and the hairstylist was the owner of a studio in the local town who was willing to travel to the resort to do my hair.

As we only flew out to Vancouver Island a day or two before the wedding, I did not have any trials beforehand, however, this may be an option for you. Some will do a few makeup and hair trials in the months leading up to the wedding to see what fits best for them.

I was very happy with them and the results!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Wedding coordinator recommended people. Hopefully it will all go well at my hair trial and m/u trial.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, my MOH was very instrumental in helping me line up my hair stylist and makeup artist. I have a certain type of hair and so it basically came down to her being connected and knowing who does good work in the city where I''m getting married. I hadn''t lived there in a long time so I really depended on her help. The makeup artist happened to be a girl who works for MAC who my MOH went to college with and I found out that she and I went to the same high school. I''m extremely happy with both of my people.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
Any recommendations in Orlando,Fl?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
for my hair - i am using my same stylist that i have been going to for 3 years. I am also using a good friend from work to do my makeup and touch up my hair.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
My decisions were easy...I am a make-up artist, and my prices were fair ;o) As for hair, I just booked with my regular stylist because she knows me and what I want!

Cj

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
my mua is my best friend/bridesmaid. she''s a licensed esthetician & asked if i would like her to do my makeup (she already does is for any big occasions i have). so, that worked out pretty good. for hair, i don''t know yet. i just moved & am in a VERY small town, so i will probably ask around for recommendations. i don''t think i''m much help to you--sorry!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I looked through lots of portfolios online and noted down which I liked. I then sent out emails to those. Some of them were already booked on my date, which narrowed it down. What narrowed it down even further was the way people responding to my request for quotes - I cut out anyone who sounded shady, unprofessional, took ages to respond, or would not give a quote or ballpark figure upfront. I also googled their company names and searched on wedding boards, and avoided those who had bad reviews. Which left me with just one - who I chose
1.gif

Not many of my friends have married in my area. If they had, I''d have asked them for their experiences - nothing like a personal recommendation.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t started, but it''ll be interesting

For those of you who have found your vendors, are they usually able to deal with very different types of hair? One of my BMs has baby fine blonde hair, I have stick straight asian hair (that I want curled!), a third is black and has very very tightly curled brittle hair, as she describes it.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 5:52:54 PM
Author: yssie
I haven''t started, but it''ll be interesting

For those of you who have found your vendors, are they usually able to deal with very different types of hair? One of my BMs has baby fine blonde hair, I have stick straight asian hair (that I want curled!), a third is black and has very very tightly curled brittle hair, as she describes it.
This is the very reason why I won''t be supplying someone to do hair for my girls. In my circle, people are extremely particular about their hair including me, and prefer their own usual stylists. Many times, even when people say they can do black hair, they aren''t properly trained.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recommendations and a trial. HIGHLY RECOMMEND A TRIAL.

I cancelled my first 'recommended' stylist because she was just sloppy and too into her own press and booked a fabulous one that made me feel like a million dollars. All because of the trials.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We had a DW, so a limited choice. I got recommendations from other vendors etc, booked a trial and was really happy with the result. She did a great job on the day too. You def need a trial, I wouldn''t risk it on the day just hoping for the best.

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
Not to be nosy but what kind of deposits did everyone have to put down?I feel like one person I''m looking at is asking for a lot.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
For my DW, I have a trial with my venue''s recommended stylist this weekend. Hopefully she will do a good job, so I don''t have to find another one. I definitely wouldn''t book anyone without a trial.

I am also very particular about my hair, as I have curls and it takes a very special hair stylist to know how to make it look better instead of worse. So I''m skeptical about the hair part of the upcoming trial, but we''ll see. I may have to do it myself in the end or just wear it in the way I usually do.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I put down 25%, which was £45 (about $70). That seemed reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results