shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Choosing a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone looks tilted in the ASET, there is not really that much green IMHO.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The different colors provided by the ASET image show the angles from which the diamond gathers light:

Green = 0° (the horizon) to 45°
Red = 45° to 75°
Blue = 75° to 90°
Black or White indicates leakage.

WHAT THE COLORS MEAN:

Red represents light coming from angles where there is likely to be bright, direct sources of illumination in most viewing environments. This color is dominant in the ASET image of a well-cut diamond.

Blue corresponds to light that normally is blocked by the viewer’s head and body. An ASET image with a moderate amount of this color in an attractive pattern means the diamond has good contrast.

Green is produced by low-angle light, which usually is reflected from walls or other objects in the surrounding area (rather than coming from direct sources). A diamond with a high cut quality may show small amounts of this color around the bezel area of the ASET image.

Note that when Red and Green areas appear mixed together in the center region of the diamond (above the culet) this simply indicates a kind of crossover between the sources of illumination within the realm of the 45° viewing angle.

Black or White appears in areas that do not return light under real-life viewing conditions. If a diamond is well cut, the ASET image will show only very small areas of black or white around the outer edge (and perhaps none).

Here is an image that provides some insight into how an extremely well crafted princess cut diamond looks when viewed through the various gem scopes, including a Hearts & Arrows scope, Ideal Scope and an ASET.

niceice-princess-scopes.jpg

FrostedFlakes

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for this information, I'm much more informed now!
I realize that this ASET image might not be the best but what I would like to know given the other details of the diamond, is it reasonable and am I getting a good deal?

Here are the details:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.58
Cut: Premium
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 74.8%
Table: 64.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.37*6.28*4.70
Ratio: 1.01

Edited to add that the price is around $7900

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you want, it isn''t the best cut quality diamond but if the cut is sufficient for you and you aren''t concerned with getting the best cut possible, then its a definite option.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 2:37:59 PM
Author: Lorelei
It depends on what you want, it isn''t the best cut quality diamond but if the cut is sufficient for you and you aren''t concerned with getting the best cut possible, then its a definite option.
Ditto. Would it cost much more to find a better cut stone? I am really not thast familiar with the pricing of princess cuts.

And I also am surprised at how much smaller princess cuts face up that rounds! That 1.5 is smaller than a 1ct round.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/16/2010 3:01:03 PM
Author: dreamer_d
And I also am surprised at how much smaller princess cuts face up that rounds! That 1.5 is smaller than a 1ct round.

Round brilliant cut diamonds are essentially measured across the surface of the diamond from North to South and from East to West... Princess cut diamonds are measured the same way, from side to side and in doing so the surface of the diamond appears to be smaller. However if the surface area of a princess cut diamond were measured from tip to tip, rather than side to side, then the measurements would make the diamond seem larger in terms of outside diameter. Here is a graphic from our web site which demonstrates the difference, the diamond measured is a 1.05 carat princess which measures 5.44 x 5.42 mm according to the AGS Diamond Quality Document (DQD) but if measured from tip to tip, the diamond measures 7.60 mm which is about the size of a 1.65 carat round brilliant ideal cut diamond.

princess-cut-diamond-dimensions.png

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 2:07:30 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Round brilliant cut diamonds are essentially measured across the surface of the diamond from North to South and from East to West... Princess cut diamonds are measured the same way, from side to side and in doing so the surface of the diamond appears to be smaller. However if the surface area of a princess cut diamond were measured from tip to tip, rather than side to side, then the measurements would make the diamond seem larger in terms of outside diameter. Here is a graphic from our web site which demonstrates the difference, the diamond measured is a 1.05 carat princess which measures 5.44 x 5.42 mm according to the AGS Diamond Quality Document (DQD) but if measured from tip to tip, the diamond measures 7.60 mm which is about the size of a 1.65 carat round brilliant ideal cut diamond.
Great visual Todd, do you mind if I add it to the helpful threads archive?
35.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/17/2010 2:09:43 PM

35.gif

Not at all, I figure that any graphic I post to the forum may end up being used elsewhere on the forum, but thanks for asking
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Todders!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 2:28:20 PM

Date: 3/17/2010 2:09:43 PM

35.gif

Not at all, I figure that any graphic I post to the forum may end up being used elsewhere on the forum, but thanks for asking
2.gif
Great image. I know this has been debated before, but visually they still seem to actually look smaller to me. But maybe not!

FrostedFlakes

Rough_Rock
Here''s another ASET image for another princess diamond, please tell me what you think

Princess_2.jpg

FrostedFlakes

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, can you give me your opinion of the ASET image above?
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results