shape
carat
color
clarity

I this a "premium" cut diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cardinalx12

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at several diamonds and I think this is the one for my budget. Is this a premium cut diamond? Should I be concerned with the girdle being thick? Thanks?

certificate_online.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get a photo of tha actual diamond or an ideal scope image?

cardinalx12

Rough_Rock
Dreamer,
Don''t know if you remember but this is yet another diamond to choose from the list I posted yesterday (**Need help choosing between 3 diamonds**) which you responded to. I am purchasing online and there is no photo available. Thanks for the help!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do remember

1.gif
I also remember asking for images at that time too
2.gif

I''m sorry, without images we really cannot assess the cut quality of princess diamonds at all.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately it is essentially impossible to tell anything about the potential visual performance of a princess cut diamond "by the numbers" because there are hidden aspects of cut quality within the design structure of a princess cut. It is possible to predict the visual performance of a round brilliant cut diamond because there is only one relative angle within the sections for the crown (upper half) and pavilion (lower half) of the diamond; however there are two sections within the crown and pavilion portions of a princess cut diamond and only one number provided on the lab reports which is based on an average - and you''ll note that even these measurements are not provided on the copy of the GIA lab report referenced, thus you''re essentially flying in the dark with regards to being able to determine anything regarding the actual cut quality of the diamond with regards to the proportions.

For the reasons stated, I truly prefer the information provided within the Platinum format of the diamond grading report offered by the AGS Laboratory over that of the GIA for princess cut diamonds... I''m fine with GIA lab reports for round brilliant cut diamonds because it provides enough information "for a good start" but for princess cuts, you can''t beat the AGS Platinum report - especially since the lab actually provides a rating for the visual performance of the diamond! In my opinion, if you''re truly interested in the cut quality of a princess cut diamond, you''ll find it easier to focus on diamonds graded by the AGS Laboratory.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI cardinalx12

In terms of the cut, and assessing the numbers, it''s likely too deep, and large of table to be called any sort of "premium"
AGSL does grade the cut of princess cuts- but they are not referred to as Premium.

I see a lot of sellers abusing terminology such as calling the cut of stones "premium" based on nothing other than a desire to confuse the issue in buyers eyes- which is a large problem IMO

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 12:12:23 PM
Author: cardinalx12
Dreamer,
Don''t know if you remember but this is yet another diamond to choose from the list I posted yesterday (**Need help choosing between 3 diamonds**) which you responded to. I am purchasing online and there is no photo available. Thanks for the help!
Then its really buying blind in that case, it would be preferable to purchase from a vendor that can supply images in order for you to make an informed decision. Princess cuts have many ways of '' going wrong'' and you can''t tell much by numbers, therefore images are really essential in my opinion in order to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results