shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a cushion from LM

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 8:49:49 AM
Author: Maisie
I always thought that the technical information was more for people who were buying sight unseen. Do you still need that sort of information if you are actually viewing the diamonds?
Masie -thank you for posing the question. I am interested in hearing the responses as well.

My AVC was appraised by a local appraiser (PS listed). My main concern was the evaluation of the SI2 clarity and not the interpretaion.of the cut or ASET.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 9:30:18 AM
Author: Collee

My AVC was appraised by a local appraiser (PS listed). My main concern was the evaluation of the SI2 clarity and not the interpretaion.of the cut or ASET.
I wanted to stress that a PS listed appraiser doesn''t mean they are a great appraiser. There are only a couple that I trust and will use. This is no different than a PS advertising vendor - not all of them are equal.

benchko

Rough_Rock
GOG''s site was working for a few mins and I managed to do a search (it''s down again now..)

Unfortunately they don''t have anything close to what I''m looking for (2.5 - 3cts, F/G, VS2)

They only had 2 choices in the 2.5-3ish range; one was a 2.39 D SI1 and the other a 3.13 (forgot the color/clarity specs on that one but it was also not within my params).

Does GOG do custom AVCs and if so, how long does it take and do they charge extra?

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that if you are seeing the diamond in person it puts slightly less stress on using the additional tools. But the trouble in my mind is that most consumers have not actually viewed that many well cut diamonds, and that is probably doubly true for cushions. So if you see one or two, how are you to know if you are seeing a true top performer, or if it is just the best of the 3 or 4 you have seen? All diamonds sparkle (somewhat), all diamonds look bright and white (somewhat), and lighting accounts for most of the variation in diamond performance anyways. So when people say "It looked pretty good to me" it doesn''t really say much about how the optics of that particular diamond compare to other known performers out there.

So I think until you have trained your eyes a little by seeing truly well cut stones in a variety of lighting environements, it is helpful to augment your opinion with tools to assess optics OR the opinions of people who are independent and expert in assessing cut.

All of this is a little less important with RBs since most consumers can saily track down well cut stones to see how they look. But with cushions, I think most consumers have not seen enough to truly judge what they look at, beyond "ooohm pretty sparkles and big!"
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:58:37 AM
Author: benchko
GOG's site was working for a few mins and I managed to do a search (it's down again now..)

Unfortunately they don't have anything close to what I'm looking for (2.5 - 3cts, F/G, VS2)

They only had 2 choices in the 2.5-3ish range; one was a 2.39 D SI1 and the other a 3.13 (forgot the color/clarity specs on that one but it was also not within my params).

Does GOG do custom AVCs and if so, how long does it take and do they charge extra?

Thanks
I think you should call them! I think the answer here is yes, a while, and no, though
5.gif

benchko

Rough_Rock
Dreamer, that's so true...I have only seen a couple of vintage cushions and I have no clue how they stack up compared to truly top performing ones..and even if I saw many, I doubt my abilities at judging cut and optical performance would get a lot better. I'm getting impatient with this purchase and really want to get something soon, which is why I wish I could find an AVC that fit the bill..it definitely does take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation from everything I've read on here regarding those stones..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 11:05:50 AM
Author: benchko
Dreamer, that''s so true...I have only seen a couple of vintage cushions and I have no clue how they stack up compared to truly top performing ones..and even if I saw many, I doubt my abilities at judging cut and optical performance would get a lot better. I''m getting impatient with this purchase and really want to get something soon, which is why I wish I could find an AVC that fit the bill..it definitely does take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation from everything I''ve read on here regarding those stones..
Trust me, I know how you feel. But I think impatience is the enemy of success when it comes to diamond hunting. It is worth waiting for what you really want. haha... funny words coming from me
20.gif
but it is the best advice.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 11:01:47 AM
Author: dreamer_d
I think that if you are seeing the diamond in person it puts slightly less stress on using the additional tools. But the trouble in my mind is that most consumers have not actually viewed that many well cut diamonds, and that is probably doubly true for cushions. So if you see one or two, how are you to know if you are seeing a true top performer, or if it is just the best of the 3 or 4 you have seen? All diamonds sparkle (somewhat), all diamonds look bright and white (somewhat), and lighting accounts for most of the variation in diamond performance anyways. So when people say ''It looked pretty good to me'' it doesn''t really say much about how the optics of that particular diamond compare to other known performers out there.

So I think until you have trained your eyes a little by seeing truly well cut stones in a variety of lighting environements, it is helpful to augment your opinion with tools to assess optics OR the opinions of people who are independent and expert in assessing cut.

All of this is a little less important with RBs since most consumers can saily track down well cut stones to see how they look. But with cushions, I think most consumers have not seen enough to truly judge what they look at, beyond ''ooohm pretty sparkles and big!''
2.gif
Well said
36.gif

Benchko,

If you want to speed up the process I reccomend the following which involves a lot of mileage for you so that you can look at many diamonds I will assume you are near Manhattan if not it may be difficult to do this.

1) Go to Harry Winston and look at their Cushion Micropave rings. Ask them to show you vintage and modern facet styles.
2) Go to Tiffany''s and take a look at the Novo and Legacy rings.
2) Go to Goodoldgold and see some of the august vintage cushions and other cushions they may be able to show you (cushette, square cushion hearts and arrows, 4 main etc).
3) Call mark at ERD and have him pull in the best stones he can find in your spec range and then go and see them in person.

Preferably do all of this in one or two days so you can remember each of the diamonds and form a comparison in your mind.
Remember to look at the diamonds, in lower light, by the window, under a table etc. jewelry store lights can be deceiving.

Once you have done this you will have seen a lot of well cut diamonds and will be more confident in your decision. If you like the vintage style and internet prices you will probably end up purchasing from GOG or ERD but the other places will at least show you what else is out there that is well cut.

Good-Luck,
CCL

kikidoe

Rough_Rock
Benchko, I totally agree with you. I feel like I''ve wasted so much time doing homework, but I still can''t make a decision on my own. Now I just want to find a stone that meets all the basic criteria and fits the budget.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:50:01 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

1) Go to Harry Winston and look at their Cushion Micropave rings. Ask them to show you vintage and modern facet styles.
2) Go to Tiffany''s and take a look at the Novo and Legacy rings.
2) Go to Goodoldgold and see some of the august vintage cushions and other cushions they may be able to show you (cushette, square cushion hearts and arrows, 4 main etc).
3) Call mark at ERD and have him pull in the best stones he can find in your spec range and then go and see them in person.
If you can do all or even some of these, it will really help "train your eyes". Then you can be more confident in your own preferences too.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:44:32 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 3/15/2010 9:30:18 AM

I wanted to stress that a PS listed appraiser doesn''t mean they are a great appraiser. There are only a couple that I trust and will use. This is no different than a PS advertising vendor - not all of them are equal.

Uh oh! You have me worried. The SI2 was confirmed to be eye-clean by both the vendor and the appraiser. I asked the appraiser to not show us the maginfied new of the stone (out-of-sight, out-of-mind inclusions) but he did confirm that inclusions did exist. He also said that the GIA plot was WAY off.

Prior to purchasing the SI2, I compared the stone to a larger (higher clarity) stone with Jon. Although my eyesight isn''t the greatest, I was unable to see the inclusions (even as close as 10"). I wish FF would propose already
29.gif
so I can stop stressing. Oh, the AGONY!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 7:15:24 PM

Uh oh! You have me worried. The SI2 was confirmed to be eye-clean by both the vendor and the appraiser. I asked the appraiser to not show us the maginfied new of the stone (out-of-sight, out-of-mind inclusions) but he did confirm that inclusions did exist. He also said that the GIA plot was WAY off.

Prior to purchasing the SI2, I compared the stone to a larger (higher clarity) stone with Jon. Although my eyesight isn''t the greatest, I was unable to see the inclusions (even as close as 10''). I wish FF would propose already
29.gif
so I can stop stressing. Oh, the AGONY!
I don''t mean to get you worried! I am sure everything is just fine if Jon said it was eye clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results