shape
carat
color
clarity

I am contemplating something drastic...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I are very sentimental with purchases like jewelry and such. We''re not married yet and have an un-upgradeable diamond/setting ering.

I know I''ll be happy with it for the rest of my life. I''ll continue to buy wedding bands/anniversary upgrades on my wedding bands but my ering is something special we both agree that we can never part with.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 12:28:07 AM
Author: Cinna
My fiance and I are very sentimental with purchases like jewelry and such. We''re not married yet and have an un-upgradeable diamond/setting ering.

I know I''ll be happy with it for the rest of my life. I''ll continue to buy wedding bands/anniversary upgrades on my wedding bands but my ering is something special we both agree that we can never part with.
1.gif
Oooooooooohkay. Good for you Cinna. But since this thread is about Dreamer:

Dreamer I adore that halo from BGD it is my new favorite. I love the bezel-like metal ring around the center combined with the delicate claw prongs. I think it would look spectacular with a plain shank too.

That said, for you, I vote three stone.
21.gif
And I am glad you decided against the not upgradable stone.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Playing around on PS is Dan.Ger.Ous and you''ve been here a long time. I *just* upgraded my diamond and I''m sweating bullets trying to figure out if I should get something a little bigger before I set it.

I''m with everyone else saying never say never about an upgrade. You''re still young (well idk how old you are but you have young hands)
9.gif

I do however think your dream setting will hold you over for quite some time.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 12:47:59 AM
Author: Gypsy

Dreamer I adore that halo from BGD it is my new favorite. I love the bezel-like metal ring around the center combined with the delicate claw prongs. I think it would look spectacular with a plain shank too.

21.gif

What I meant by my post is that unlike a lot of PSers in this thread, my take on it is that I do not think it's all that bad to think about getting an un-upgradeable stone. My opinion is that it is not such of a Crazy idea as was stated in her initial post. Next time I'll remember to state that plainly at the top of my post in order to explain that I'm not trying thread-jack.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 1:45:13 AM

Date: 3/14/2010 12:47:59 AM
Author: Gypsy

21.gif

What I meant by my post is that unlike a lot of PSers in this thread, my take on it is that I do not think it''s all that bad to think about getting an un-upgradeable stone. My opinion is that it is not such of a Crazy idea as was stated in her initial post. Next time I''ll remember to state that plainly at the top of my post in order to explain that I''m not trying thread-jack.
I get you now Cinna, and I actually think that most women feel the way that you do. Maybe 50%. The other 40% never think about their rings at all and don''t give a hoot
5.gif
. Then the other 10% are crazy upgraders like me and many others here. But I totally get your point. It wasn''t clear in your first post, so it just seemed a little left field as a bit of a random and perhaps judgy comment!
1.gif
But your meaning is clearer now.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 1:06:22 AM
Author: Sparkles&Glitter
Playing around on PS is Dan.Ger.Ous and you''ve been here a long time. I *just* upgraded my diamond and I''m sweating bullets trying to figure out if I should get something a little bigger before I set it.

I''m with everyone else saying never say never about an upgrade. You''re still young (well idk how old you are but you have young hands)
9.gif

I do however think your dream setting will hold you over for quite some time.
LOL. I am glad my hands look young, I think the rest of me is not faring as well since having a baby a year ago
4.gif
But you are right, I have a lot of potential upgrading years ahead of me.

Your new diamond is lovely. And if you want to upgrade now, do it, because the urge will not go away. Unless you leave PS forever and never think about diamonds again
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 1:45:13 AM

What I meant by my post is that unlike a lot of PSers in this thread, my take on it is that I do not think it''s all that bad to think about getting an un-upgradeable stone. My opinion is that it is not such of a Crazy idea as was stated in her initial post. Next time I''ll remember to state that plainly at the top of my post in order to explain that I''m not trying thread-jack.
Hi Cinna, as Dreamer explained, the meaning of your original post wasn''t really clear, but now that you''ve clarified your point is well taken. Stating things clearly is helpful on here
2.gif
. I have an pre-PS non-upgradable diamond. And it is lovely to know that this diamond is the one that my fiance proposed with, and it is the decision that is right for us (though, admittedly I have been tempted to upgrade
20.gif
). I have changed my setting however. I know it seems like a LOT of PSers upgrade, but I actually don''t think the majority do. Many just spend their jewelry budget on additional pieces, but some do get a little fixated. I think the reason many of us felt that Dreamer getting a non-upgradable stone is drastic is, knowing her history and recent thoughts on rings, it is a bit drastic for her. Mostly because we know that Dreamer likes higher colored stones, and stones at or over 2 carats. So her settling for a non-upgradable I color 1.6 seemed like a move she might regret. And most of all, PSers want to make sure that when people make purchases the decision is an educated and knowledgable one that doesn''t result in regret.
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 8:25:28 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Kenny and Mrs Mitchell Thank you for the compliments on my sapphire ring! I do love it, and of course it has sentimental value for me since it is the ring my DH proposed with. I really like the setting, it is similar to yours, Kenny, with your new Octavia, but basket set not tensions set.

Laila Why wouldn''t a halo look good? Do you think it would be too big? Never!
5.gif
I do like the vatche grace, but I have discovered that I do not care for the look of bead set/channel pave, I prefer the type of pave that Leon does, or the type in this ring below from BGD. When I was at Tiffany''s I did not care forthe Legacy, but they had a pave ring like the one below that I liked a lot. So *if* I went that direction that is what I would do, with a plain thicker shank most likely and a nice basket style undergallery. But I am just not sure.

Bella I think I have been convinced. It is not really worth it unless the size leap is big. So the question still remains, halo or three-stone? I like them both for very different reasons.

Susimoo Did PS make you crazy too? Your current rock is a great color and clarity. Have you thought of a recut? Brian gavin does them and the price is very reasonable and many PSers have been very happy with the outcome.

Risingsun I too started with a .80 and now a 1.2! I think that my next leap needs to be into the 1.6 to 1.8ct range, like you, but I need to keep the upgrade option. I will need to save for longer I guess. Halos are so tempting...

softlysoftly I like the clock idea. My mom did something similar with me when I was young. But there are a few more years before we get there
2.gif

Bliss You are right. I love my G color, it would be crazy to go much lower. I think an H would be ok if it wasa *high* H. Halo or three-stone it is. Which one do you vote for?

winternight Always a consideration. I think less than 5 years in the time frame I would be thinking of though.

RaiKai I am picky about my ring, but I am getting there I think. Got the color right, and in all but my most crazy moods I also think I have the size right
4.gif
The setting though is not right. But how to pick? There are not many places around with good samples on hand. And there are lots of styles I love! I go back and forth between a ''practical'' three stone and a more ornate but delicate pave setting of some kind. I think the decision will still take me a while to make.

It sure did make me crazy!!

However I think it did it in a good way, an educated way.

I actually considered a recut, but if the truth were to be told, in my head it is as much about size, as any of the other factors. In the Uk one carat is more common than before and I have always yearned for a much larger diamond. I do think Dallas, Dynasty and The Colbys played a huge part in my growing up and affected my idea of glamour in a "get whatever you want in as big a size as you can afford kind of a way!! Lol and that includes shoulder pads. I have never been this extreme about anything else in my world. I am a jewellery lover and more than that a diamond devotee!! So I am hopefully going to join the world of UPGRADE soon and If I am honest I may never leave (just like Hotel California!! LOL)

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer I agree that diamonds are a strange hobby and I often find myself wondering why I am so fascinated by them. My husband wonders why also and he is geologist! But it seems that once you get the bug it just wont go away
6.gif

I think upgrading in increments could really work for you. How would you feel about going down in colour to get to the size you want and then upgrading the colour and clarity after that? It sounds like your husband is really supportive of your habit.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
I think if I were you I would get the 3 stone for now, but get upgradeable stones from the same vendor as your current diamond so that when (not if!) you decide to upgrade your diamond the sidestones might be able to "go into the pot" towards the new one. That way you are sort of putting funds away towards the future stone but getting to enjoy them now too!!

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 9:46:57 AM
Author: misssoph
I think if I were you I would get the 3 stone for now, but get upgradeable stones from the same vendor as your current diamond so that when (not if!) you decide to upgrade your diamond the sidestones might be able to ''go into the pot'' towards the new one. That way you are sort of putting funds away towards the future stone but getting to enjoy them now too!!
oooooh, now that''s a great idea!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2010 10:48:00 AM
Author: vanderaf

I think if I were you I would get the 3 stone for now, but get upgradeable stones from the same vendor as your current diamond so that when (not if!) you decide to upgrade your diamond the sidestones might be able to ''go into the pot'' towards the new one. That way you are sort of putting funds away towards the future stone but getting to enjoy them now too!!
36.gif
I agree that this is a great idea. Now the only thing you need to worry about, Dreamer, is the cost of the settings. But then again you could always re-use the settings...coloured stones maybe?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DD-in that case I would stick with the G, try to get and SI1 that is maybe a tad bigger, set it in a three stone, and at least keep your center stone upgradeable. The sides you can use for studs or another project down the line
27.gif

The BGD halo is gorgeous, but that is a lot to spend on a setting that you will probably change in a few years...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 6:09:23 AM
Author: susimoo

It sure did make me crazy!!

However I think it did it in a good way, an educated way.

I actually considered a recut, but if the truth were to be told, in my head it is as much about size, as any of the other factors. In the Uk one carat is more common than before and I have always yearned for a much larger diamond. I do think Dallas, Dynasty and The Colbys played a huge part in my growing up and affected my idea of glamour in a ''get whatever you want in as big a size as you can afford kind of a way!! Lol and that includes shoulder pads. I have never been this extreme about anything else in my world. I am a jewellery lover and more than that a diamond devotee!! So I am hopefully going to join the world of UPGRADE soon and If I am honest I may never leave (just like Hotel California!! LOL)
I think a recut would be nice just so that the diamond you have is well cut! Doen''t have to stop you from getting another diamond later
2.gif
I think recutting costs under $500 (don''t quote me, but I recall it being shockingly inexpensive), maybe much less, so it is not such a big investment and would perhaps make you love your diamond more! You could halo it too, which would make it feel bigger?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 7:20:02 AM
Author: softly softly
Dreamer I agree that diamonds are a strange hobby and I often find myself wondering why I am so fascinated by them. My husband wonders why also and he is geologist! But it seems that once you get the bug it just wont go away
6.gif

I think upgrading in increments could really work for you. How would you feel about going down in colour to get to the size you want and then upgrading the colour and clarity after that? It sounds like your husband is really supportive of your habit.
I need to think about this. See, the question is: Will I enjoy the size enough to compensate for the color while I wait? Or will I enjoy the color of the smaller diamond enough to compensate for the size while I wait?

Yes, DH likes to do whatever makes me happy! We have in our budget personal money that we can spend on whatever we like. I use that personal money (and whatever else I can squeeze out of him) for diamonds, so no skin off his nose! I must admit, I find it puzzling when husbands care... but every couple deals with money differently. I suppose if we did not have our personal discretional money then he would care much more.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 11:17:13 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 3/14/2010 10:48:00 AM
Author: vanderaf

36.gif
I agree that this is a great idea. Now the only thing you need to worry about, Dreamer, is the cost of the settings. But then again you could always re-use the settings...coloured stones maybe?
Typically, upgrade policies are a one-to-one thing -- you can trade in one diamond for one diamond. But I will check up on this with my vendor. You are right, that would be ideal.

On the other hand, I would LOVE diamond earrings OR a colored stone three-stone ring. So the setting would never be "wasted". Or I would use the side stones with the upgrade too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 1:02:45 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
DD-in that case I would stick with the G, try to get and SI1 that is maybe a tad bigger, set it in a three stone, and at least keep your center stone upgradeable. The sides you can use for studs or another project down the line
27.gif

The BGD halo is gorgeous, but that is a lot to spend on a setting that you will probably change in a few years...
Yes, and I am afraid I am just too practical to want to worry about pave.

What do you all think of this three-stone style? It has the side stones sort of tucked up next to the center. At first I didn't like that look because it gives you less side-to-side finger coverage, but then I realized that I like to see the band of my ring, and also that small diamonds tucked up under give more the illusion of a single larger center stone (like a halo would) than the styles where the diamonds are more aligned in height.

What do you think?

BGD3stone_ddlikes.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one''s really nice! It will be hard to clean underneath the basket ''bars'' though.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I really like this. I dont much care for the three in row same height version either.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 3:34:11 PM
Author: bgray
I really like this. I dont much care for the three in row same height version either.

+1
And I think it would make a very nice setting for colored gemstones later.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
This design will give you great finger coverage and mucho bling! I like it so very much
1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I like it a lot, personally I would set it set lower with a minimal airline, but that''s b/c I''m a klutz:)

I
30.gif
this setting:http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5486 but I don''t think it''s what you want
2.gif

but...since you love the trellis solitare so much, do you prefer a trellis three stone?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5460 I bet Brian could tuck the sidestones under a little bit more...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh DD! I totally know your pain! just my 2 cents, I think you might like a halo but NOT a bezel halo as that will define the size of your current diamond or any other diamond (and I *think* DSS will still set in later), so getting something that is minimal in a four prong (no metal lining of any sort) defined by a very tiny/delicate halo will make appear much larger as you know already and won't outline the center would be more beneficial IF you were to get a halo. I've thought about it long and hard, and as much as I love my BevK halo, I could not do a Halo bezel center on any diamond unless it was to be my forever LARGE stone already and I was going to embrace the size, even though the overall halo shape is large, it still defines the center too much (I'm glad I didn't bezel halo my diamond because of this sapphire expirience). on the plus side, IF you were to get a delicate four prong halo, later down the road (IF that itch to upgrade again comes back)... it would be easy to switch out for a beautiful colored stone and make a smashing RHR. Finding the *Right* setting seems to be the most tricky I think. Hope I made sense, sometimes I think and type out the wrong stuff
37.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 11:54:45 PM
Author:dreamer_d
So as many of your know I am planning to reset my 1.2ct G diamond this year. To help me decide on my favourite look, I have been visiting local jewelers and trying on their wares.

As many of you also know, I have been loving the three stone look for a while. But my husband and I went out today and we both really loved the look of a lucinda/vatch x-prong style solitaire... with a bigger diamond of course
20.gif
It looked great on my hand, I love the heavy domed thick shank, and of course, bigger diamonds are always better.

I plan for the change I make this year to be IT. I do not want to keep spending money on my diamond, we want to take vacations instead
25.gif
And so I am thinking about something drastic.

For about the same money I was going to spend on a three-stone, I could upgrade to an approximately 1.60ct I SI1 AGSO (or similar). It would be 7.5mm, so a jump of 0.65mm from my present diamond. It would also hit the cap I have in my mind of the max I am willing to spend on a ring for various idiosyncratic reasons.

The catch? It would be a non-H&A and thus non-upgradeable
23.gif
Scary as that it, it also seems liberating to me to no longer have the option of upgrading. That would be my forever diamond! Resets in the future, maybe different diamonds, but this project would be done.

What do you all think? Would this be crazy?
Can you honestly say the FOREVER "IT"? If any hesitation in answering than I would strongly reconsider.

EllaMarie

Rough_Rock
It's so hard to choose, isn't it? I looked at so many diamonds/settings for five months before I decided on mine, and even though I love it, I know that I'll want to upgrade at some point w/ a bigger stone.
emwink.gif

That said, the diamond you show in the pics is quite beautiful. Is there a way you could set that with two more stones if you like a three stone? I'm newer to the boards so maybe you already considered this. Also, is it possible that in five years or so you would want to get an even bigger diamond-maybe a 2 or 3 carat (which would look lovely on your hand), so maybe you should wait before you close your options off.

Oh, just saw the pics of the three stone your'e considering--OMG, so beautiful! I really like that one.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is gonna be kind of random, but...I am not usually a HUGE fan of trellis or of three stones (at least, not on my hand), but that BGD trellis 3 stone is to die for. The halo ain''t bad either. Basically, I am jealous of your options...
31.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 7:59:29 PM
Author: D&T
oh DD! I totally know your pain! just my 2 cents, I think you might like a halo but NOT a bezel halo as that will define the size of your current diamond or any other diamond (and I *think* DSS will still set in later), so getting something that is minimal in a four prong (no metal lining of any sort) defined by a very tiny/delicate halo will make appear much larger as you know already and won''t outline the center would be more beneficial IF you were to get a halo. I''ve thought about it long and hard, and as much as I love my BevK halo, I could not do a Halo bezel center on any diamond unless it was to be my forever LARGE stone already and I was going to embrace the size, even though the overall halo shape is large, it still defines the center too much (I''m glad I didn''t bezel halo my diamond because of this sapphire expirience). on the plus side, IF you were to get a delicate four prong halo, later down the road (IF that itch to upgrade again comes back)... it would be easy to switch out for a beautiful colored stone and make a smashing RHR. Finding the *Right* setting seems to be the most tricky I think. Hope I made sense, sometimes I think and type out the wrong stuff
37.gif
ITA! That''s why I didn''t choose a bezel set halo. The prong set, with small stones in the halo, IMO give you the impression of a much larger stone. I think, D&T, that you described it very clearly
34.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2010 3:22:12 PM
Author: dreamer_d

Date: 3/14/2010 1:02:45 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
27.gif

Yes, and I am afraid I am just too practical to want to worry about pave.

What do you all think of this three-stone style? It has the side stones sort of tucked up next to the center. At first I didn''t like that look because it gives you less side-to-side finger coverage, but then I realized that I like to see the band of my ring, and also that small diamonds tucked up under give more the illusion of a single larger center stone (like a halo would) than the styles where the diamonds are more aligned in height.

What do you think?
I like it. There was a three stone ring on his website that was described as 12.11.99 - that''s the only number I could ever identify it with but it is not an item number. It was another three stone mounting which I really liked! Anyone know which one I am referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results