shape
carat
color
clarity

pre natal vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
Im currently on Prenavite (generic Rx- $10 a month) and since my prescription is up I wanted to switch since I'm really not liking the one I'm on. My doctor just switched me to another one (no generic) but it is $40 a month!!! Refuse to pay that much

Anyone on generic prescription prenatals?!?! Need suggestions please!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I take either the Meijer or Kroger brand of prenatals everyday (same formula, different stores). They are coated so they don''t upset my stomach and they are cheap. I believe it''s the same formula as Stuart prenatals. Worked before, during and after my pregnancy with my son and I still take them for other health reasons.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I take the store-brand ones as well. My doctor just said to get some at the grocery story and never even mentioned writing a prescription for any.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take the CVS brand generic one-a-day prenatals with DHA. They''re $10/60 (30 of vitamin, 30 of dha supp) and you take one set of the medium sized pills a day. They''re very easy to swallow and I''ve had no side effects other than constipation, but that''s normal anyway. Oh, and best of all the DHA is not fish based so you don''t get fishy burps. I can take these on an empty stomach with no adverse results.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can sympathize. I can''t take the prenatals because of the iron so I''m taking a cocktail of Flinstones, Folic acid and DHA. It costs me about $30 a month which isn''t much but the prenatals were only $8.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason why women take prescription prenatals here in Canada is for a higher dose of folic acid (which has been raised to 5mg by Health Canada, based on some of the research done in my lab
9.gif
). But the one you were on only has 1mg, I think. So I think you can easily do with a drugstore variety of prenatal supplements.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 1:27:46 PM
Author: puppmom
I can sympathize. I can''t take the prenatals because of the iron so I''m taking a cocktail of Flinstones, Folic acid and DHA. It costs me about $30 a month which isn''t much but the prenatals were only $8.
Smartie pants! That''s what we suggest pregnant women in the 1st trimester to do if they''re sensitive to iron. Keep in mind, though, that iron is very important for the fetus mid 2nd trimester onwards. So I normally suggest switching back to prenatals at that point.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lucy,

Glad to hear that pregnancy is rolling along
9.gif

As for prenatals, I take a prescription one, and though its not generic, I did get a coupon for $10 off each month (for one year I think). The vitamin is called CitraNatal Assure and it is two pills, a DHA one and mutlivitamin. With insurance, it costs me $30 (with the coupon). It''s pretty easy on the tummy (except maybe a little gas) and otherwise, doesn''t seem to cause any other side effects.

My doc gave me a bunch of samples of prenatals, and the coupon was attached to the sample. Perhaps you can ask your doc if they have any samples/coupons? That way you could try that or other prenatals out and get them for cheaper than $40/month.

Good luck!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the same thing when I was preggo. They were either an outrageous copay or they made me nauseous. I ended up taking the Target brand Prenatals and my OB Gyn said they were totally fine!

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies- I have a lot of options now!!
1.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 1:37:46 PM
Author: kama_s

Date: 3/3/2010 1:27:46 PM
Author: puppmom
Smartie pants! That''s what we suggest pregnant women in the 1st trimester to do if they''re sensitive to iron. Keep in mind, though, that iron is very important for the fetus mid 2nd trimester onwards. So I normally suggest switching back to prenatals at that point.
Kama, say it ain''t so! My doctor hasn''t said anything to me (since initially recommending the switch)...then again my last appt was at 14 weeks - I go next Thursday and I''ll ask. I have a really hard time with Iron. Even before I was preggo, I couldn''t take regular multi-vitamins. They gave me stomach pains so bad that I couldn''t even stand up. I wonder if one of those time release Iron pills will work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results