shape
carat
color
clarity

How much sparkle do french cuts give?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
If you were going to use diamond french cuts in a halo, would it have close to the same sparkle factor as rb''s?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
no --its a very different look. personally i think it would be gorgeous but its more of a mellow look

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I''m considering doing a french cut halo around the sapphire in my avatar. I know diamonds can help sapphires out some but was wondering if french cuts would sparkle much or just look like clear stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are french cuts the same as single cuts? Old miner has said that single cuts are great for small diamond melee because they look sparklier to the eye.

penskip

Rough_Rock
I own this french cut band and it has a good amount of sparkle in lots of different lighting, but probably not as much as other types of melee stones. I guess if you are looking for a more "antique" look the french cuts may be good. If you are looking for maximum sparkle potential, maybe not. I personally love the look of them!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=170421545574&view=all&tid=445454073007

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
DD-A french cut is an old style of cutting but it is not a brilliant cut, it is a step cut...I believe.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, now I am picturing them! Are they square in shape? I ask because that will change the styles available to you for your halo.

I like the idea of single cuts myself, a unique look buy with more sparkle.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i have two french cut eternity bands--wish i could post a picture but i have never been able to post any of my own photos here--i think french cut diamonds would be lovely around your sapphire. they are square stones that have faceting on the slightly domed top that is made up of diamond (like on a playing card) shaped facets-each stone has one of those facets centered on top. I LOVE them....

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
From a post by Diagem.

FrenchDGs.jpg

French Cut 00001.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Stone, so helpful! I love the look of those cuts, and it would looks so great and vintage with a sapph. My only concern would be the shape and creating the halo you want. But an exepert jeweler could work it out I am sure.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi stepcutgirl :)

i think french cuts would look wonderful around your sapphire. they don''t twinkle like a RB does, but they certainly add presence and brightness.

i''ve often thought about doing a french cut surrounded round brilliant; i love the contrast and i''ve thought that it would make a stunning variation on the normal halo design.

french cuts around colored gemstones were quite common in the jewelry shops or antique jewelry shops when i lived in Epsom in England, and i don''t think i ever saw one i disliked. when well made, they sat very snug, and gave a similar effect to a halo, but with a softer look. i personally think they looked better than a RB halo with a colored gem. all that to say - i think you''re on to something here, and i think it would look wonderful with your sapphire.

do post what you decide to do - i''ll love following this journey with you!

Lizzrd02

Rough_Rock
I think it would look lovely. In fact, I contacted leon mege about a french cut halo for my rb a few months ago. He was excited at the idea but said they would have to be cut individually to my stone and that would take a lot of time and extra moolah ($3500 more than he quoted me for an Adriana style halo ring with single-cuts---which are expensive in their own right!). He also couldn''t guarantee that they would be individually cut...he said he would not know until he got them all together with my stone. The part I didn''t like was that if they weren''t individually cut to contour my stone, he said he would "make them look like they were." I just wasn''t convinced! Who were you thinking of using?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. Here is a photo shopped picture of what I''m thinking. I think I would go JbEG, BGD or WF for the design.

jwlkssapphalo918.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning! I wonder whether you have thought about prong set to keep the sapph raised and lighter in color? Or maybe it isn''t an issue.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I will consider prong set but I am a big fan of bezels. Ugh, this is a hard choice!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Stepcutgirl, I posted on 2/25 in the thread" A collection of halos" a picture of a diamond ring with french cut sapphires that I have, being a dark stone you can really see the faceting of the sapphires so it might give you a better idea of how the light reflects on a french cut, I love the look but would be interested to see how french cut diamonds perform also, it would be unique , thats for sure. Sorry I did not post a link! I am technology impaired, Good luck with your decision!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 2:18:02 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Thanks for all the replies. Here is a photo shopped picture of what I''m thinking. I think I would go JbEG, BGD or WF for the design.
The ring looks like it is going to be lovely. I was sitting here thinking for a whole 5 minutes -- who the heck is JbEG! I just figured it out .. It''s Jewels by Erica Grace. All these short forms :razz:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ico I really like your ring. Basically it would be the opposite of yours.

Charmy-I know the feeling. Sometimes I sit here for what feel like ever thinking what on earth does that stand for about something.

I''m not sure if I''m going to do this design or not. I''m looking at some Sholdt settings next week. Part of me wants a plain solitare, part of me would LOVE a halo.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this thread in the hope that Harriet sees it. She has handled a lot of french cuts and also has a french cut band. Her opinion would be worthwhile to you.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
G, you give me too much credit!

Stepcutgirl,
French cuts do not sparkle like round brilliants. To me, their beauty lies in their depth. It's difficult to verbalise. I have a thread on SMTR about my band. In it, there's a picture of my band next to my solitaire, which might give you some idea of the contrast.

Dreamer,
Single cuts are RB melée with far fewer facets.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Harriet. Help me out. I combed over your threads and i can''t find it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/confession-t134381.html

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Harriet! Just like everything else you own. So what would be your opinion on a halo of this sort with either french cuts or carre diamonds?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

I''d go with French cuts. Carre cuts are step-cut (I think), and might look strange with a round brilliant. One thing to note about small French and carre cuts -- prong-setting them will result in a lot of metal (those square corners). Bezels and channels are the most viable options.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Do your french cuts give any twinkle or sparkle or do they have a mirror like effect?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
French cuts are really super looking in small sizes, just like fine cut, tiny single cuts in many respects. Another possibly type of diamond is found here. These have tremendous fire and large sparkles although they would likely be too large for a halo. They are an impressive stone in the right lighting: http://www.bezambar.com/showcat/173

You may have to have the French cuts slightly recut to create a circle as they tend to be found as square, not slightly trapezhoidal shapes. If you can find an old estate piece with them already cut, you''d be really in good shape. It won''t be easy, but I have seen them cut to create perfect circles and corners.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 3:42:12 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Do your french cuts give any twinkle or sparkle or do they have a mirror like effect?

They twinkle. Let''s hope Glitterata pops in. She''s seen them and is more articulate than I.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I have a carre cut band (see my avatar), which I thought were similar to french cuts, but they are very different than the picture of a french cut poster previously? My stones are little square step-cuts, so disregard if these are not actually french cuts :) Anyway, I love the sparkle they give off. It is different than my round brilliant band, which gives off more diffuse sparkle. The square-cut band gives off more flashes of light, and more uniform "lines" of light, if that makes sense? Different, but both beautiful. The step-cut band has somewhat of a cleaner look than the rb band. They have more of an understated sparkle that will not detract from the sapphire.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results