shape
carat
color
clarity

Wii questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
DH wants a Wii for his birthday next month. I''ve been looking around, and there are soooo many controllers, battery packs, motion sensors, etc. for the Wii. What should I purchase to get him started? I''m thinking around $300 total, the Wii is $199 on Amazon, so is $100 of "stuff" enough?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Only certain games require the motion sensors (wii resort, etc)
If you don''t get those games at first you should be ok with just the controller and nunchucks. I would get 2 of each so you can both play :) When we got our wii we bought that and about 3 games and ended up spending just a little bit over 400 dollars.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
How many people will be playing? I think it''s always a good idea to start out with 4 controllers and 4 nunchuks (I believe the game comes with 2 of each, but I''m not totally sure). I don''t like the battery packs and I just buy some rechargeable AA batteries. This will be enough to get you started on most games and playing with other people. We actually don''t own anything beyond this and do perfectly fine, but I''ll admit we don''t play our Wii as much as we used to.

Next, does he need a balance board for anything? It possible to enjoy the Wii without it, but if you want Wii Fit it''s a necessity.

What sensors are you referencing? Wii Motion Plus? I haven''t used this yet, but I think it would be a good idea to get at least for one or two controllers. I''m not really aware of which games require this, but I would make sure he wants a game that requires it before you run out and buy.

The balance board and Wii Motion Plus are both things that newer games may require - you''ll probably end up getting them at some point but they''re not a necessity to get started.

My final bit of advice is to only get Nintendo branded accessories. Maybe DH''s preferences have just rubbed off on me, but I wouldn''t buy any third party accessories - I just don''t trust that they''ll keep working or will work as well as they should.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

We played around with his parent''s Wii over x-mas, and he was really into the golf game that comes with it. Would I need the motion sensors for that game? And I know *I* want the Wii Fit, so I''ll have to get the balance board and all that, but I could buy that later.

The console only comes with 1 controller and 1 nunchuk, so I''ll need to get at least 1 additional of each then. For now it''ll probably just be DH and I playing. We may need more later when family comes to visit, but that won''t be until summer so they can wait.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 10:45:41 AM
Author: elrohwen

My final bit of advice is to only get Nintendo branded accessories. Maybe DH's preferences have just rubbed off on me, but I wouldn't buy any third party accessories - I just don't trust that they'll keep working or will work as well as they should.
We buy a lot of third party Wii accessories and they work great!

We started with 2 controllers and 2 nunchucks. And I'd probably just get him one additional game. It takes a while to go through all the games that come with the Wii, so you'll be set for a few months. Then again, we aren't big gamers. The Wii is usually a social activity for us!

I got the Wii+controllers+nunchucks+Mario Kart for my birthday from DH a few years ago.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Any game that comes with the Wii won''t need extra accessories and equipment. I would definitely recommend at least getting one more controller and one more nunchuk so you can both play.

You''ll only need the motion sensors for new games that require it, but you''ll see that on the packaging.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 11:19:06 AM
Author: kama_s

My final bit of advice is to only get Nintendo branded accessories. Maybe DH''s preferences have just rubbed off on me, but I wouldn''t buy any third party accessories - I just don''t trust that they''ll keep working or will work as well as they should.

We started with 2 controllers and 2 nunchucks. And I''d probably just get him one additional game. It takes a while to go through all the games that come with the Wii, so you''ll be set for a few months. Then again, we aren''t big gamers. The Wii is usually a social activity for us!

I got the Wii+controllers+nunchucks+Mario Kart for my birthday from DH a few years ago.
Yeah, it''s probably just that DH has rubbed off on me
2.gif
I just don''t trust 3rd party accessories anymore! But I''m sure lots of other people have a perfectly good experience with them.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 11:15:39 AM
Author: MustangGal
Thanks ladies!

We played around with his parent''s Wii over x-mas, and he was really into the golf game that comes with it. Would I need the motion sensors for that game? And I know *I* want the Wii Fit, so I''ll have to get the balance board and all that, but I could buy that later.

The console only comes with 1 controller and 1 nunchuk, so I''ll need to get at least 1 additional of each then. For now it''ll probably just be DH and I playing. We may need more later when family comes to visit, but that won''t be until summer so they can wait.
Nope, don''t need motion sensors for the Wii Golf. I think one more of controller and nunchuck would be perfect - we were content with it for quite a while.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 11:20:38 AM

Date: 2/24/2010 11:19:06 AM
Author: kama_s

We started with 2 controllers and 2 nunchucks. And I''d probably just get him one additional game. It takes a while to go through all the games that come with the Wii, so you''ll be set for a few months. Then again, we aren''t big gamers. The Wii is usually a social activity for us!

Yeah, it''s probably just that DH has rubbed off on me
2.gif
I just don''t trust 3rd party accessories anymore! But I''m sure lots of other people have a perfectly good experience with them.
I wouldn''t either if I hadn''t met DH! He''s very into ordering techie stuff from China and Hong Kong!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again!

We probable won''t be playing it a ton either, I told DH if I get it for him we''re only allowed to play while the baby is asleep, so that we''re not ignoring the poor kid
2.gif

I''ll probably get the system, a set of extra controllers, and maybe the 4x4 game he was looking at (and the steering wheer thingy if the game needs it). i''ll probably follow-up with the Wii Fit in a few months then.

Is Amazon a OK place to purchase it Free shipping and no tax sounds nice, and all the places I''ve been locally are out of stock.

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
Some of the games come with extra controllers. I bought a game at Target (Wii Play, I think) and it came with a remote. It was the same price as the remote alone. Also, when I bought Wii Sports Resort (also at Target), it came with the extra motion sensor thing. Check out the special offers in stores by you, because I am pretty sure the Wii is about $200 everywhere now. Places like Target usually give you a gift card with the purchase of the Wii, which you can use for some extras.

ETA: I just saw that you said the local stores are out of stock. They can usually tell you when they are getting a new shipment. If not, I have never had any problems with Amazon, and the no-tax/free-shipping is always a plus.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 11:36:26 AM
Author: MustangGal
Thank you again!

We probable won't be playing it a ton either, I told DH if I get it for him we're only allowed to play while the baby is asleep, so that we're not ignoring the poor kid
2.gif

I'll probably get the system, a set of extra controllers, and maybe the 4x4 game he was looking at (and the steering wheer thingy if the game needs it). i'll probably follow-up with the Wii Fit in a few months then.

Is Amazon a OK place to purchase it Free shipping and no tax sounds nice, and all the places I've been locally are out of stock.
Amazon is a fine place to purchase. DH orders almost all of his video game stuff from them.

I also wanted to share my Wii Wheel experience
3.gif
It can be fun, and it's kind of cool to play with the wheel, but I find it much easier to play with the regular controller. DH and I got a few wheels when we got MarioKart but we never even use them. Sometimes I make DH play with the wheel when other people are over because it makes him worse and allows them to beat him occasionally
2.gif
So don't worry too much about having to get the wheel - it's fun, but not necessary.

eta: Have you visited IGN.com? It's fantastic for reviews and information. We don't buy any game unless IGN has given it at least an 8/10. Sometimes games sound like they'll be fun, but they end up being lame, so it's always worth it to read the reviews. And sometimes games we never would've thought about getting get such good reviews that we can't resist.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
We got our balance board at Sam''s, it was cheaper there.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I highly recommend Wii "Resort" sports and the stabilizer thingie comes with the game. The golf on this is better than the one on the regular ''sports'' disk. There are a bunch of really fun games on resort that you can play together and get exercise too (there are running and cycling games).

cara

Ideal_Rock
We got the Wii as a gift for Xmas, and have spent probably $500 in accessories and games in 2 months.
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Just waring you!

It only comes with one controller and nunchuck.

The "motion plus" is an additional sensor that plugs into the bottom of the regular controller - it is especially useful for golf, as it gives greater feedback about what you are doing during the swing.

The nunchuck is needed for things with two hands like boxing or, in EA Active, it gets put in a leg strap to evaluate what''s going on leg-wise.

Wii Fit Plus with balance board is about $100. The balance board is also often used for other exercise programs.

So... We got another controller right away, and that controller came with a motion plus so that was how we figured out that golf was better with motion plus. Now have ordered another second nunchuck so that we can play things together that require the nunchuck, and we should order another motionplus and balance board when we get our act together for couples golf and couples exercise.

Anyway. Get at least a second controller and then decide what you want to be able to play right away to decide else to order as accessories. Then add Wii to the family budget for awhile
20.gif
and don''t forget the games!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
You should also mention your plan to any other friends/family that might buy DH a present. Then, they can help you get everything he needs.

It sounds like he needs games that you can pick up for a few moments and walk away from. Wii Resort is good in this regard, as is Mariokart, Punch Out (which is crazily athletic, if you are interested in fitness games), Wario Ware, and Ravaging Rabbits. He will love it! Excellent gift idea!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 12:09:22 PM
Author: katamari
You should also mention your plan to any other friends/family that might buy DH a present. Then, they can help you get everything he needs.

It sounds like he needs games that you can pick up for a few moments and walk away from. Wii Resort is good in this regard, as is Mariokart, Punch Out (which is crazily athletic, if you are interested in fitness games), Wario Ware, and Ravaging Rabbits. He will love it! Excellent gift idea!
Rabing Rabbids 1 is one of my favorite games ever! The second and third are not so great ... though some people disagree with me. Nothing can beat the first one. For the most part it''s not multiplayer, but it''s very fun to pass the controller around from person to person after each mini-game.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 12:38:58 PM

Date: 2/25/2010 12:09:22 PM
Author: katamari

Rabing Rabbids 1 is one of my favorite games ever! The second and third are not so great ... though some people disagree with me. Nothing can beat the first one. For the most part it''s not multiplayer, but it''s very fun to pass the controller around from person to person after each mini-game.
Another ++ on Raving Rabbids! We also love Guitar Hero/Rock Band and we just got a new game recently called Deer Drive. My fav oldschool game was Duck Hunting and I wanted to get something similar for the Wii.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
So I go to my cart on Amazon today to buy the Wii, and it''s out of stock
39.gif
. After an hour of searching, the best I could come up with was Best Buy and paying for shipping. Oh well. And extra $25 will be worth it.

I did tell his mom to get a game for him, she was thinking the Sports Resort as well. And I''ll have my mom get the extra controllers. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully he doesn''t know whats coming, I told him the computer we bought last month was his b-day present
2.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Gonna chime in on the accessories real quick.

We have Wii Wheels. I like them. We found them to be useful when my sister was not using one and kept accidentaly hitting the power button with her left thumb as she was steering. Several races ended like that with a lot of yelling, lol.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 3:43:19 PM
Author: vc10um
Gonna chime in on the accessories real quick.

We have Wii Wheels. I like them. We found them to be useful when my sister was not using one and kept accidentaly hitting the power button with her left thumb as she was steering. Several races ended like that with a lot of yelling, lol.
Hahaha.

I prefer to use the controller with the nunchuk for MarioKart - no power buttons get in the way! I hate the wheels with a passion, but mostly because I suck when I use one and then DH beats me
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results