shape
carat
color
clarity

Expensive name brand ring, or custom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snowsparkle

Rough_Rock
Summary of my question: I found a ring that I liked, but it was a name brand and over the budget I wanted. Could I somehow get a similar ring (with some variations) custom made for less, or is that unlikely?

My fiancé and I went shopping for my engagement ring recently. We''d set a budget of about $2000; we could go higher but we''d rather save up extra money for buying a house after the wedding.

It turns out that the only ring setting that we found that I loved was an expensive name brand ring. It was a Hearts on Fire brand ring; I think it was the Repertoire style, though it doesn''t quite have the same appearance in these online pictures, probably because the center stone was only about a quarter carat. I really liked how it had space between the center stone and the halo, as it gave it a pretty, delicate look, and it didn''t have the height it has in the picture, probably due to the small size of the center stone. I liked that it sat closer to my finger rather than having a lot of height.

However, the price was $2200, plus an unspecified premium for having to special order it in my small 3.5 finger size. There was also no band to match it. They said it would cost about $500 to have a plain white gold band made to go with it, which would make the total quite a bit above our desired budget.

I don''t care about the name brand at all. Granted, the diamonds in the ring looked great, but I don''t want to pay for a name when I know there are other great diamonds out there. Based on my research I could get a really nice stone around 0.25-0.3 carats for under $600.

With all of that in mind, I''m wondering if I might be better off going for a custom made ring.

I''d probably go with something fairly similar to the Repertoire ring, but without the diamonds on the shank. I''m thinking about having the band part made in yellow gold with the top being white gold for a two-tone effect. I''d also considered a variation with a princess cut stone in the middle (something a bit like this) but with a round halo, so it''d really emphasize the space between the middle stone and the halo in an interesting way.

Is it even possible to have something like that made for less than $2000? I''d think that the halo part with all of those tiny diamonds must be quite labor intensive to craft, but the ring itself wouldn''t use a lot of metal or big stones.

If it does seem feasible, does anyone have some suggestions on where I should get it custom made? There is a local jeweler that my fiancé has had some experience with and they say they can do custom items, but on this forum I''d seen an online vendor called Whiteflash mentioned, which also sounded like a good place.

Thanks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Hello,

I''m not an expert on this, and I also don''t live in the States so am not so familiar with the prices, but judging by the info often found on these forums I''d say it''s definately doable to go custom. All you need is about a dozen of melee stones set in the halo, a relatively small center stone and a few grams of gold in two colors - doesen''t sound like something that should be overly expensive if custom made. As you said the center stone could be found for a few hundred, the gold work should cost even less, while buying and having set the small diamonds in the halo would take the bulk of the cost - but even that probably wouldn''t be more than several hundred. Setting prices for melee vary and some jewellers will ask more, but for such small stones I think it''s reasonable to expect the cost per stone to be not more than 30$ or so (it can also vary due to the quality of the stones used i.e. their color and clarity grades). So all in all, I think it wouldn''t be too much to expect something like this custom made for around 1500$, maybe even less.

Anybody feel free to correct me if I''m talking nonsense.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think you might be able to find something similar through adwar or one of the many "settings" companies. I have seen smiliar settings.. I''ll try to dig some up.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try posting on Rocky Talk. More people look there and I am sure they can find something similar to fit your budget!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Check out this ring from Whiteflash. I''m sure they''d be happy to help you find a stone that would fit your budget. Good luck!

Snowsparkle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions!

I''m definitely leaning toward looking at custom settings, because I''d really like the ring not to be too tall. We looked in about 7 local jewelry stores, and then I''ve been looking at setting photos online whenever I had a free moment all week, but all of the halo settings that I''ve seen have been taller than I''d like, except the one expensive one. Although on a few sites it''s been hard to tell, because they don''t even have any profile shots.
38.gif

I think we''ll probably start out at the local independent shop and ask them for a consultation and a quote; it''d be nice to talk with the jeweler in person so I can show him some sketches and get his feedback that way.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Did you see THIS thread?

If you REEELLY wanted that specific setting...I would find all the retailers and contact them to find NEW OLD STOCK...since the label won't be as supported...you just may find a retailer willing to help you on the price.

Also you are paying a premium for that brand of stone. Whiteflash or even BGD can get you pretty close in making that setting...at least the points that attracted you to it. And those stones they will use will be as better or better performers than the HOF ones.

Did you by chance go to all the PS designers and brands tab under resources yet? HERE is a James Allen Halo example that includes TWO wedding bands...so surely if you contact them their may be a less expensive option omitting one or lessening the pave work.

Whiteflash offers this head that you can marry with pave stones on the shank...the head is rectangular...just showing you the price of the similar style.

OH wait! Here it is! Take a look at THIS WHITEFLASH beauty it is as close to your inspiration ring as it can be! (EDITED: WOOPS UPPY has already provided this choice for you! Sorry Uppy! )Well under your budget!

I have no advice or experience with those other custom details you are asking about. But yes, I would assume it would be more expensive adding the different colored metal and adding different shaped stones.

If I were considering a pave style ring...I would only do so with an established experienced jeweler with a track record of offering that detail (pave set).

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
WOOPS...I am so sorry...in rereading your post... I understand that your Entire budget is $2k? Including stone?

We psers usually want you to put your money towards the best diamond you can obtain, then dress it in a setting. But you are a JEWELRY girl first...aren't you? You want the setting to bring you the warm and fuzzies....hmmmm...back to the drawing board...

Those examples I provided MAY not be available for a center stone of your target size. But I am sure you can find some compromise. I would email those jewelers and ask if they can make a similar setting for 1/3 of a carat center stone. They may surprise you on what options may be available.

Ok...back to searching...there was a Beverly K setting only on Pearlmans...here but DRATS it accommodates a 1 carat stone.

PS>..if you like that Beverly K setting, contact Bill and see what diamond he can offer you for that setting. Buying both from him may make the deal sweeter. You will love Bill. He is a great guy!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Sweetie, I feel so bad misunderstanding your post. I just got so eager to help you find it I completely misread your intentions.

It has been bugging me all day...but I think I may have found it...it is a HOF inspired setting for $1300 that leaves you with $700 to $900 for your stone. If you buy your stone with Judah you may get a package deal with the setting. You may also get a PS discount.

Looks like the setting is available for .25 carat to 1.5 carat...call to make sure! The smaller size will give you that airline you like!

HERE I think IS exactly what you want!

I so hope so anyway. I hope you accept my apology for jumping in this thread walling around like a ninny, AND THEN reading what you wanted...after I posted all the minutia.

Let me know if it is right!
35.gif

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Here are some more from Excel....I found these in there custom design category.

Also did a search through their diamonds and .30 and .31 (Ideal)were still in your budget with the price of the first setting in the post above this one. The HOF inspired one. I like it, but you mentioned you want it to sit low...so these may sit lower for you. I have no idea on the price, but they are all worth an inquiry.

"We can make this ring for any budget"

defined as "Won't break the bank"

Double Halo Dream Ring

Flush Fit design, simple halo if you went with this type of design (in your ering) you just may be able to find a thin less expensive band that will not need to be custom shaped around the head.

I think with all these choices, I would call Excel and see what they can do for you and your budget.

So to FINALLY answer your question, yes it is possible to get where you want to be...as close to designer...with out the crazy price-going custom. With years of watching this board however, I would be more comfortable going with someone with a track record of doing pave work...and creating that particular inspired piece over someone that CAN do it...(but never has). Does that make sense? Hope this helped...it has been fun!

Snowsparkle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, CasaBlanca.
1.gif
Some of those last settings from Excel diamonds really do appear to be the lower sitting type of setting, which is exactly what I''m looking for. With a small center stone they''d have the delicate look that I''m going for.

It''s also a very good point that I should look for a jeweler with experience with pave settings. My fiancé and I are still considering checking out the local jeweler, but I should definitely ask to see examples of his work with pave settings.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I''m going to go against the grain and suggest that if you love the HOF ring exactly that you should get it. Custom won''t be exact and you may not really be saving much if a custom designer has to create the ring from scratch including a cad/cam design, a mold etc. Plus, most jewelers won''t do an exact copy for copyright reasons so if you really love that exact setting/ring, i''d save up a bit more an get it. I do agree with Casa that you might call around HOF retailers and see who might give you the best price b/c that brand is going to be gone and you might be able to get a really good deal on it from someone. If you really think you can find something similar or can be equally happy with something close than the other suggestions you''ve gotten are good ones!

Snowsparkle

Rough_Rock
Well, my fiancé and I went to the local jeweler yesterday. They said that making a custom ring would be way more money, so if I decide to go that route I''ll deal with one of these online vendors. Also, if I did go custom, I definitely would put some variations into it and not ask them to copy something exactly; I know it''s not cool to copy somebody else''s artwork.

We looked at the original Hearts on Fire ring again. The jeweler said he''d get a quote from Hearts on Fire to see what it would cost to get it made in my 3.5 ring size and see if there was a variation without sidestones on the shank (and how much that would be), and he said he''d call me up today and let me know what they say about it. He also said that this particular ring was actually a brand new one from HoF, which was why I didn''t see one exactly like it on the website. It wasn''t in his catalog book, either. It looks like the Repertoire style from the top, but it''s flush against the finger rather than being raised.

I was slightly unhappy about the way the salesman was handling us, though; he was saying HoF is never on sale and would be the same price everywhere, and that he heard they''re planning to raise the price soon as well. I really don''t like getting pressured like that, especially when it sounds like the part about never having any sales or discounts anywhere is not entirely honest.

I''ve been looking at my other options, like all of the nice settings people helpfully linked in this thread.
1.gif
In some ways I''m starting to think I should be more flexible. It seems more convenient to look at the taller halo rings where you can fit a straight wedding band flush against the engagement ring band; the low-set halo rings would need a custom band to sit against them. But I''m just kind of worried about the idea of taller rings, since I''ve never worn them, and I''ve seen my mom complaining about her solitaire getting caught on things and being a nuisance even though she''s had it for a looooong time now. I think what''s making me want to be flexible is that I''m getting tired of obsessing about this and want to make a decision so I can relax, but I really shouldn''t compromise on what I''d actually like just to make the process easier. I''m just a big worrier and tend to get caught up in things.
2.gif

My fiancé has been so sweet throughout the whole thing. I''m the one who''s more concerned with the budget, and he keeps saying he doesn''t mind paying more if it means I get exactly what I''m looking for, since this is something I''ll have forever. I just need to chill and check out all of the options.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
What about any of these settings?

ID/Yekutiel are great to work with and their prices are fantastic. Tell Yekutiel that you are on pricescope and you want a really awesome diamond and he''ll hook you up with an amazing price on a super ideal diamond. Their settings have the best prices I''ve found! he has access to more settings, and the really nice diamonds don''t show up on the online search, so you''ll need to call him.

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=2521&cType=ER

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=1043&cType=ER

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=686&cType=ER

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=1032&cType=ER

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=2032&cType=ER

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Bella, Those are much better than I found! Price wise! I hope you don't mind me making the paths linkable...easy to flip back and forth!

Great work!

Bella's Link #1

Bella's Link #2

Bella's Link #3

Bella's Link #4

Bella's Link #5

Snowsparkle...I would still call other vendors of that line...and confirm what he said. Find it hard to believe the prices will be going up. If they are having a hard time moving the line...it would seem the opposite? Perhaps I misunderstood the work plan.

I hate that you are frazzled about more about the band matching the ring. With that beautiful of ring wearing no band is an option. You can pick up a thin plain band for the ceremony...and get a more elaborate one later. I saw some vendor offered an open C shaped band...so the halo head would have room...in the hole of the c. Had you seen those?

PS...another thought on your worry about the ring snagging. You might consider a bezel halo. That would make the whole top smooth and snagless. I know you like the airline ...so that probably isn't an option you are willing to look at.

Snowsparkle

Rough_Rock
Wow. Those settings that Bella-mezzo posted from ID Jewelry look like a great deal. Looks like I might have more options than I originally thought, without going completely custom made.

Doing some scouting myself, I noticed this setting from Adiamor jewelry: http://www.adiamor.com/R-1152-R2661-1-1.htm. I found it interesting because it says it''s for a smaller diamond (0.3 to 0.69 carats), and there''s also a matching band. It does look slightly higher than some of the other rings I''ve been looking at, but it''s not super high. The price is pretty good, as well, similar to some of the ID Jewelry prices. I think I''m a real sucker for matching bands, though it''d be nice if they had a photo of the rings together.

I noticed another thread where a poster had a similar style of setting, but in the princess cut, and it looks quite good on her. It actually looks pretty nice with the bezel, so maybe I should consider that.

I still haven''t heard back from the local jeweler about the Hearts on Fire ring, and he was supposed to have called yesterday. Maybe he''s having trouble getting in touch with them. I''d kind of like to hear from him so I could weigh my other options more easily. It''s hard to make choices without all of the info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results