shape
carat
color
clarity

Need the perfect setting for a 3+ carat princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
First, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me in my search for the "perfect" princess cut diamond. After lots of hard work and several disappointments (almost every diamond I posted and got a "thumbs up" on was purchased by the time I had barely inquired about it), I found a diamond that was most definitely meant for me! So thank you, PS members, for your advice, consideration, and support! I couldn''t have done it without you! The specs of the diamond are as follows:

GIA Certified Princess Cut
AGA Cut Grade: 1A
Carats: 3.22
love.gif

Dimensions: 8.14x7.95x5.89 mm (l/w ratio of 1:1.02)
Color: I (faces up extremely white even without fluorescence)
Clarity: SI1 (completely eye-clean, even when looking through pavilion)
Depth: 74.1% (74.4% on Sarin)
Table: 71% (70.8% on Sarin)
Girdle: M-TK
Polish and Symmetry: Very Good
Crown: 11.2%
Crown Angle: 43.6
Pavilion Height: 60.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.0

The settings I am considering so far include the Vatche x-prong and reverse-v double prong, simple Tiffany solitaire settings, the White Flash w-prong, and cathedral settings. Also, I really like settings with sidestones, but find that they are usually very small (I would like 2-3 channel set princess diamonds on either side that are close to the width of the band). Finally, I don''t want a shank that is wider than 2.5-3 mm and don''t really like them to be tapered unless they get smaller near the stone (I have a 4.5 ring size so I prefer thin bands to prevent them from looking bulky) Have any suggestions or do I need to get a custom setting? If my only option is a custom setting, do you know of any photos that are similar to what I''ve described? I''m also open to other suggestions, so please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for all your help!
1.gif

mydiamondideal.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here's one example of a setting I like. I just can't decide whether I like the engagement rings with diamonds, or plain settings to be paired with channel set wedding/eternity bands. One option I like is getting a simple setting for my engagment ring that will fit between two bands of shared prong or channel set diamonds (there would be a row of diamonds, my engagement ring, and then another row of diamonds). I'll see if I can find a picture of a similar setting, but it's difficult (I've only ever seen them for round stones). Any thoughts? BTW, if I get an engagement ring with diamonds I may do a simple platinum wedding band or one that has diamonds--not sure yet (depends on budget).

oneexample.jpeg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here's an example of what I was trying to explain before. Although this is not the type of stone/style I'm considering, it will hopefully give you a fairly good idea of the type of wrap I like. Just remember that I would be getting channel set or shared prong princess cut diamonds for the wrap, and would then get a plain platinum setting for my engagement ring.

Do you prefer this style or engagement rings with channel set diamonds and one matching band?

With a diamond so large, should I even bother with side diamonds?

Any suggestions/input would be appreciated!

soltwrap4.jpeg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new stone! I LOVE princess cuts and your looks like a real winner.
love.gif
I am planning my 10 yr upgrade and I know I want a 2.5 - 3 ct princess so I am always looking at/noticing princess settings and such. Of the hundreds I have seen, i really think the best way to show off a large, sparkly princess is with the plain platinum solitaire style or a Vatche type design. The other style I like is the classic with the tapered baguettes.

It's just my opinion but I really like that big beautifuls tone all by itself. Since you want a wrap, you'd ge the best of both worlds!

In any event--do post when your ring is done--I can't wait!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely jennifer...less is more...and that way, you can pair it with a killer princess wedding band!
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions and good luck with your search, Jennifer! I keep going back and forth on what I want. It's so hard to choose a setting when the diamond sizes aren't as large as the one we purchased! I really like the Vatche settings, but wonder if it would be too much to have an X-prong or similar with a wrap. Decisions, decisions! If I were to choose the channel set princess sidestone option I would not be getting a wrap; just thought I'd clarify in case you thought I'd combine everything!
wacko.gif
Here's what I would do if I choose one with sidestones....

bandex.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I would obviously put a different head on it, but you get the idea!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Settings, settings, settings. Geez- if only things could be simple. I'm dealing with the same problem. How to dress up the center stone. One minute I'm leaning towards sidestones and the next a plain setting. And that doesn't end there, what about the band? Wow, I feel for you. But have fun on the hunt. Your stone looks amazing.
Nan

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Researcher, my stone is a rb. Because of my job, it would be considered small by some but not by me (.76 ct.). I do want a bit more bling for my finger though. The diamond is in a plain 18k yellow setting with a platinum head. After thinking about it, I think that I am going to flank it on both sides (eventually) with eternity bands. That will give me the extra bling, and I can stack and mix and match to my hearts content. Hope this helps. I would go plain on the engagement ring and then max the bling in the eternity bands/wedding ring combo. Good luck, and what a fun dilemma.

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't edit that enough (post above). My job involves a lot of hand movement (fingers must fly over keyboard). A big (all right HUGE) rock would be in my way. Hope that clarifies my previous post. Sorry, it's late here; and I am not thinking too clearly.

Shay

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Shay what a great suggestions. Hmmm now to hunt for the perfect band.
love.gif

Nan

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful
love.gif
Where did you purchase the diamond???

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for the sweet comments and your suggestions! I'm leaning towards the more simple engagement ring settings so I can have more time to explore eternity band/wrap options. I just want to choose something I love rather than something that suits me now (I'm still rather young and don't want to choose something I won't like in 50 years). So, I think classic/traditional is the way for me to go with my e-ring :)

Of the platinum settings, do you like a particular Vatche or other solitaire setting better than others for larger stones? What do you think of the White Flash "W" prong? I purchased my stone through WF, and am hoping to have them set it.

BTW Shay, I would NOT say your diamond is small! It's bigger than average, and looks big in your pictures! Congrats on a beautiful stone and good luck finding the perfect eternity bands!!!
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Researcher, thank you for your comments on my ring. I love the Whiteflash w prong. They have some very classy settings.

Nan, NiceIce has some really pretty eternity bands on their site. I have been drooling for days. I e-mailed R&T for some price info. I am still waiting to hear from them. However, I did tell them to take their time as I am in no hurry. I really want to make the right choice.

Shay

abbey

Rough_Rock
http://www.artofplatinum.com/R044.htm

The above link is for a beautiful setting from leon mege....similar to what you might want I think-It's yummy-and so is your stone.
lickout.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Funny that you chose that setting--it's one that led me to start looking at the channel set bands! The only problem I have with it (and others like it) is the diamonds seem so small compared to the center stone. For that reason I tend to like bands with 2-3 larger diamonds on either side to obtain the same tcw.

All in all, I think I'm leaning towards a White Flash W-prong http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFR-WHRptPr.

It just depends on whether they can make a few alterations for me (I want v-tip prongs to protect the corners better and I prefer the shank to be squared-off where it meets the basket).

I'll let you know what I decide! Thanks again for taking the time to post!!!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... this is a BIG stone, and quite deep. So you may want to look for a setting that does not add much to the height of the stone (unless you really like them high set). from your list, the W-prong and X-prong fit the bill in this regard, but not the setting with side stones and peg... that would be very high, and probably less stable on the finger with a large stone.

How about this one (LINK) It does seem to fit the 'simple and classic' description and a brilliant princess cut well.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, AnA! That is a beautiful, very classic setting. I will have to pass it along to my B/F....

BTW, what is the difference in height that the heads sit at? When discussing settings, people keep asking if I like them higher or lower. I know I want more of the stone to show (why purchase a honker if you're not going to show it off) but I don't want it to look ridiculous. I really don't do a lot more than typing with my hands (as you are aware from your own experiences dissertation work takes up the majority of the day) so I don't have to worry about it getting in the way most of the time. However, my consulting work requires me to travel and I therefore don't want to have something that protrudes so much it will snag on my luggage and things.

My point is what sort of head or style would be best in your opinion?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phd and consulting... sounds familiar! Quite a marathon run
5.gif

I would guess most rings get somewhere between 5mm to 10mm high on top of the finger. For me, ~6mm works best, especially if the highest element of the ring does not jump up from the setting (there is some tapering element, or the stone is a cab - as is in my every-day ring). This would be considered low, I suspect.

As a rule of thumb, if a setting has some metal under the stone (like the setting with the peg head) it will have to be on the higher side, but this is not very much saying. I am not sure I understand why higher settings are said to show off diamonds better - but they are definitely less practical to wear!

As for my choice? Welll... this is not for me, but I would always say "bezel"
1.gif
from the choices lines up, the W-prong and the one at Niceice seem nicely understated and carefully made. Either is a good device to keep diamond on finger, and would stay nicely near a diamond band, if you would go for more diamonds on the same finger
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input! I'm really not a fan of the bezel set diamonds (I think I just have too many friends with them), but I do like the setting you sent and the W-prong. I will most likely go with one of these
1.gif
I can't wait to see how it turns out! It's so difficult to really see things via the internet, but I guess the perk is I will be surprised when my B/F proposes and I see the final ring for the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results