shape
carat
color
clarity

Helzberg and BBB...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I went out casual diamond shopping, as I am oft to do when I have some free time.

This time, I went to a popular mall and visited Baily, Banks, & Biddle and Helzberg, which is new to the area.

I saw a terrific Princess 1.02ct G VS2 set in a plain plat. v-corned protective setting for $6900. It measured about 5.5x5.4x3.(something). I can''t recall, although I have it written down somewhere.

It was clean, it was colorless, and it was sparkly! I figure that, even with the markup, the setting was about $900, which means that the diamond was $6k. More than you would expect to pay for online, but all-in-all, I thought it was an ok price. This is where it pays to know how much settings are worth vs. the price of diamonds, b/c $7k was a good overall price... but in this case, you''re overpaying for a modest setting.

In the second store, Helzberg, I walked away very much impressed by their customer service. Much more so than the first time I walked in many months ago. (During that visit, I simply walked out from lack of attention.)

This time, however, I met with a nice salewoman who showed me to varying Princess cuts, within the size I specified (1ct). One was F VVS2 and the other was I I1. I requested these on purpose for comparison and pricing reasons and she obliged.

Then, she asked me if I had used a gemscope before and if I was interested, so I said sure! I met with another person, this time a man, who was DCA diamond certified (who knows what DCA stands for, Bueller?). He brought the two original rings, plus a third and he explained clarity, the importance of cut, etc. A lot more information than I ever received at a B&M.

On the walls of this little room, they even had diagrams of ideal cut diamonds, including their angles and percentages. Hmmm.

In the end, he showed me a that was 1.2ct SI1, I think, and at first inspection, it was eye clean. Then under magnification, I could clearly see the inclusion. After, unaided, I could find the inclusion, but only when I knew where it was. It was a, I color, but still quite clear and had a very nice med-thick girdle. The price of this was was under (or around) $6k in a white gold setting.

Something a little odd about this experience was:

1.) he kept asking me in a very car-salesman way, if I could feel "comfortable" putting this ring on my GF''s finger. It''s a common sales tactic that if I admit that there''s very little wrong (partly out of a person''s fear of insulting someone), then I will be likely to purchase.
and
2.) He said that plat. must also be plated w/rhodium about once ever 1-2 years just like white gold, which I thought was not the case. I thought it could simply be polished and that rhodium plating on platinum was just one version.

After several very nice examples of Princess cut diamonds in an B&M, I started to wonder why I went so far out of my way to get a Jubilee? I started to doubt my possible miss-appropriation of funds.

But then... I am only seeing these diamonds under "their" lighting conditions. I have seen my diamond under a variety of conditions. Plus, part of my shopping outing was to find a Princess of the same size as my ''Jubie'' for comparisons sake, and I was please by what I found. The only questionable issue is that the protective v-prongs that most princess cuts get put in, add an illusion that the rock is bigger, where ball end prongs (is that what they''re called?) look slightly less big.

Conclusion...
I know many of you are already sick of hearing me talk about my diamond search, which for all extensive purposes is 95% over. So why put myself through this?

Well, partly b/c I have nothing else to do until it''s set and returned to me. And partly b/c I enjoy looking at diamonds now. I feel a little bad about taking up the sales people''s time, but perhaps I''m also keeping them on their toes.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
the jubilee is an awesome awesome stone. I do love my princess stones, but I sure as heck would have taken a jubilee if there had been one out there for me! I'm just not a round kind of gal...so rounds don't work for me....but you can't go wrong with the jubilee!!! You won't be sorry!
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
More, What's the matter?... Didn't you see the 1.79ct and 2ct Jubie in GOG's stock?

Just kidding. I looked at your Princess, and after seeing some very nice examples this weekend, I am positive that your search result will be spectacular!

I'm with you... if you find the right Princess, it can kick BUTT! I am no Princess-hater!

1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL.... I did see it, but unfortunately, I have eagle eyes...I can see a teeny bit of color from a mile away...I also have a super human nose...TRUST me...it's a blessing and a CURSE!
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Jeez More, remind me not to eat mexican food around you then!
2.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/17/2004 9:43:11 AM verticalhorizon wrote:

I met with another person, this time a man, who was DCA diamond certified (who knows what DCA stands for, Bueller?).

----------------

it's possible he said dga and you mishead it--dga is a degree given by the gemmological association of great britain, somewhat analgous to gia's diamond grading certification.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DCA Diamond Council of America, a less well known or recognized educational and membership society, mostly involved with chain type store groups. Their education is somewhat similar to GIA. A bit more retaul oriented.

An FGA is a Fellow of the Gemmologiucal Assoc of Great Britain. These graduates are high powered gemology students with a lot more technical knowledge than most GIA folks.

limey

Shiny_Rock
VH

Did you use an ideal scope at those stores? Did you ask to look at it in other lighting conditions? I found many diamonds looked very good in their lights. Funny thing was window shopping with my wife and seeing her old pear look better than all the stones.

Don't get me wrong, there are great Princess cuts available, just look at moremoremore's new diamond, but nothing I saw compares to the Jube. My wife is still not used to the amzing ring on her finger. Your gf will adore the visible arrows, rainbows and unreal brilliance of your Jubilee. It is a traditional round brilliant within a square, and you dont have to mount with corner protectors. It looks very cool!

Not sure? Do a side-by-side when you get it

cheers
limey

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I can't WAIT to do a side by side comparison in the Maul.

Plus, I was very pleased by Shay's results to a little experiment in this thread below about how far can you be and still see brilliance.

Light Return Opinion

Sadly, I did not use my Idealscope, b/c I forgot it at home. I was out running errands, and decided to pop in real quick. I did see it in lighting more towards the general maul lighting, but big whoop.

I guess what I was really saying was not that I was having real second doubts. There's nothing I can do about it now anyway. It's being set as I type. But I was pleased by the amount of information I got at Helzberg. It was better than any info I had received so far from a maul B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results