shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The holly leaf cuttereroutererthingy is the greatest thing I have owned.

ChrissyCuppies 004.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
Dandi--
Oh those holly cuppies are just about the cutest little things
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg dandi those little leaves are so cute...with berries!!! did you cut the berries out too? i must know where to find that cutter...hehee.

so far all i have made this season is cookies. standing in the kitchen for long periods of time doesn''t feel good anymore. i will live vicariously through you gals and hopefully eke out an eggnog cheesecake for thurs.
9.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankyou, ladies! Mara the little red things are just red cachous. I went mad on cuppies and did 14 dozen minis and 2 dozen large for friends and family yesterday. Too much stress for Xmas Eve when the inlaws are coming over for dinner!
14.gif
Fun though.

These are all Red Velvet.

ChrissyCuppies 006.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDL, you are a sweetheart
30.gif

More! Same, but all vanilla icing.

ChrissyCuppies 008.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Teeny weeny cwissy tweeeeeees!
37.gif

ChrissyCuppies 009.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dandi I lurve those awesome christmas trees!!! So fun! 16 dozen...girl you are a cupcake rockstar !

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe aww thanks hon... the vanilla icing on the large cuppies was starting to look a bit manky, I did those last and was VERY over it by then!
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Love all of the Christmas yummies...
18.gif
18.gif

Cuppies are so cute, Dandi!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, from what I hear, Mara got Greg''s help in making the best mini cupcake of all! Wink Wink.

Since Mara started this thread, adds the majority of posts, and encourages and assists all with baking tips, it feels like hers...so Just wanted to add a Bookmark to commemorate her latest creation!

I am sure it is best to direct all new baby posts in that thread...but I just couldn''t resist at least one comment here. Congrats on your latest creation, baby Tyler, to Mara and Greg.

36.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have, I''ve just been too lazy to post them!!
9.gif

For you, SDL
28.gif

Here''s some happy smiley face pirates I did for a 5th birthday pirate party for a boy, choc mud with a fondant pirate face, I had heaps of fun making them!

PirateCuppies 001.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And some I did for a boy''s 1st birthday party, some chocolate and some vanilla, with blue (ick!) CC icing.

PirateCuppies 009.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And nothing too special, just a variety I made when we (my brothers and their families) were congregated at mum and dad's for lunch, pictured with my ridiculously adorable niece
30.gif

PirateCuppies 004.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CasaBlanca, aww thanks for your sweet comments! Our new little boy def is the cutest mini cupcake I''ve baked so far, hehee.

Dandi, those pirate cupcakes are TOO CUTE!! I absolutely love your creativity! Fondant was really fun for me to work with when I was doing alot of the cupcaking but I felt like I was never quite as creative as some people can be. Love seeing pics!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dandi, you are so freaking talented! Love all of your cupcakes!!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Wowzers Dandi, you are amazing! Your piping and fondant skills are fantastic!

I have a question - you know your multi-coloured icing? How do you do that, do you add the food colouring to a batch of icing and mix in? Or do you mix the colours seperately, and then mix the different coloured icings together? I wanna try that, it looks great.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:59:37 AM
Author: DandiAndi
And nothing too special, just a variety I made when we (my brothers and their families) were congregated at mum and dad''s for lunch, pictured with my ridiculously adorable niece
30.gif
Dandi,
Your neice is so cute. . .love her curly hair
1.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, are you kidding?! You are my ''fondant idol''!
9.gif
9.gif

Tacori, thanks so much, you are too sweet!
30.gif

Porridge, it''s so easy! I make up a batch and divide it up into separate bowls, and add a different colour to each. I then spoon a spoonful of each into the piping bag, one colour at a time, being careful not to mash the colours too much or they''ll blend. I squeeze the first little bit of icing out first because the nozzle will be filled with the first one colour. After that, each one comes out different, I love it! Here''s a tutorial with pics if that helps! http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8Wde_YQM5cI/Sf4dLwhc7rI/AAAAAAAAD78/3xV65uysQN4/s400/IMG_9651-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2009/05/rainbow-cupcakes.html&usg=__wBV6YjEVPT4XhEs-bLfBd3VWC6Q=&h=300&w=400&sz=20&hl=en&start=26&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=UO7O3xazWOfRZM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drainbow%2Bicing%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

MC, thanks heaps love, she really is way adorable
3.gif
Funny as a hatful of monkeys, too!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got a 30th Birthday party coming up, and the birthday girl has requested chocolate mudcake with strawberry CC icing. Gah! Has anyone tried such a concoction of flavours?!
26.gif

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Every time I visit here I''m not only amazed by the talent but I get so damn hungry!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dandi actually choco and strawberry sounds yummy, though choco and raspberry would be better IMO. could you fill the mudcake with strawberry preserves or jam? that would be yummy. i actually used to bake jam in sometimes but what happens is it bakes into the cake in the oven due to the high water content, and leaves a bit of a hole but it does flavor the cake pretty well.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara that sounds delish!! I haven''t tried that, but perhaps now''s the time! She''s so set on choc strawberry, she''s convinced it will taste like a strawberry Freddo Frog!
9.gif
I might do a trial batch this weekend.

Has anyone tried white chocolate mudcake? I''m scouring the net for a dense, moist WC cupcake but am not coming up with much.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies!

I am going to have to call on my PS bakers for some help.

My office is having a cupcake bake off. They''re being judged on presentation, taste and creativity, and I have to have a name for it.

I love to bake, but usually stick to pastries, cookies and cakes. For some reason, I never bake cupcakes, and when I do, its usually my signature red velvet with cream cheese frosting. So I dont have a "go-to recipe" for this that I have in mind.

For this, I want something REALLY different; in both the flavor and the design. I''ve gone through this whole thread for ideas, and want to ask the ladies who have tried these recipes what their favorites are!
36.gif
(or any new ideas welcome!) Thanks!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not much good at different, I tend to stick to what I know, hehe
9.gif

But the mudcake recipe I use topped with rainbow icing always gets alot of oohs and ahhs, because it''s just preedy
41.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great thanks DandiAndi! I tried it this weekend with two colours and it worked great so I''ll be more adventurous next time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm Naked Finger well it depends on how ''different'' you want to be!! you can get really crazy with flavors if you want, think about your favorite jelly belly or something random.

but for fun combos that people seem to really like...there''s S''mores with something like a graham cracker cupcake, filled with marshmallow and topped with chocolate pieces and marshmallow; or a Baileys cupcake where you can do chocolate and baileys irish cream combo, or a Guiness one as well is popular. I did a rainbow cupcake once which I think I posted about here... you can swirl colors together in a baking cup and bake the cupcake and then do swirls of combined frosting on top. People love my vanilla peanut butter, I bake a peanut butter mini cup inside and then top with either pb frosting or vanilla. You could do a PB Jelly cupcake.. with something like a peanut butter cupcake filled with jelly and topped with a jelly buttercream (just mix jelly or jam into a vanilla buttercream).

anyway just some ideas. I have seen some crazy combos like sweet and spicy cupcake or the maple bacon cupcake (which i am not into hehe but people love it)... you can also go onto some popular cupcakeries and see what their craziest combo is and see if you can make it too.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
id=ms__id32>Date: 2/13/2010 2:50:48 PM
Author: Mara
hmmm Naked Finger well it depends on how ''different'' you want to be!! you can get really crazy with flavors if you want, think about your favorite jelly belly or something random.

but for fun combos that people seem to really like...there''s S''mores with something like a graham cracker cupcake, filled with marshmallow and topped with chocolate pieces and marshmallow; or a Baileys cupcake where you can do chocolate and baileys irish cream combo, or a Guiness one as well is popular. I did a rainbow cupcake once which I think I posted about here... you can swirl colors together in a baking cup and bake the cupcake and then do swirls of combined frosting on top. People love my vanilla peanut butter, I bake a peanut butter mini cup inside and then top with either pb frosting or vanilla. You could do a PB Jelly cupcake.. with something like a peanut butter cupcake filled with jelly and topped with a jelly buttercream (just mix jelly or jam into a vanilla buttercream).

anyway just some ideas. I have seen some crazy combos like sweet and spicy cupcake or the maple bacon cupcake (which i am not into hehe but people love it)... you can also go onto some popular cupcakeries and see what their craziest combo is and see if you can make it too.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Baaaaaaaaaaaileeeeeeeey''s
3.gif
18.gif

They all sound incredible!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies! The Bailey''s ones are awesome! A girl I work with actually made them and brought them in once, or else I would totally do those! lol I found a recipe for the smore ones and actually planned on doing those but wasnt sure how to decorate them.

I was thinking of making these cupcakes (see pic), but to tie in the "apple" theme, get some kind of apple flavored cupcake too. Any ideas?

apple-cupcakes.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those apple cupcakes are SO cute!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those apple ones are super cute. you could also maybe do something like cherry or strawberry with a similar look/theme.

to flavor the cupcakes with fruit, it can be hard to get a LOT of the fruit flavor in there. most people when they make s''berry put in berries but the flavor is WAY mild for me and then you are adding a lot of liquid as the fruit bakes, so you have to compensate with more dry. i actually have used jello successfully in fruit cupcakes, so you might think about doing that for friut too. like if you did s''berry or cherry you could use jello as well in the mix, it actually comes out really yummy. you don''t even need that much to flavor the cupcake. my fave is using a more natural gelatin instead of ''jello'' brand because it tastes WAY less fake but it''s hard to find a natural flavored gelatin at regular stores. maybe at a whole foods or similar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results