shape
carat
color
clarity

apartment hunting in new york! help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Sorry...haven''t posted much since the wedding! I am moving on to my next adventure, which is apartment hunting in NY. Does anybody have any suggestions for good realtors? We are already working with corcoran. We would be open to finding apartments other ways, but so far the realtors have been the most helpful in showing us the type of apt that we want to be in. We want something really nice-1BR, we love the older luxury buildings like 502 Park. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i have no idea, but i just wanted to say "hi!"
35.gif

in the hangout "MIA" thread, i just asked about you! hope newlywedded bliss is treating you well, dear!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
The best advice I have is get on all of the local realestate sites like corcoran,prudential, bellmarc (I know there are more) and search for open houses. We also walked the neighborhoods that we wanted to live in and looked for new construction buildings. It''s a process if you know what you want and even if you don''t but eventually you will find something. We found what we wanted with in a few months searching that way. There are probably be better ways that we never thought of as well.

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
You could also search the rentals in the NY Times- you can type in all of your specifications, and neighborhoods and everything. There''s usually a realtor attached to those, or if you like your current realtor, you can usually ask them to show you an apartment that you found in the Times listings. Hope that helps!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
We tried a couple of realtors when we were apartment hunting and liked Citi Habitats the best, especially for the personalized service we received. I also agree with EM1 that it's a good idea to walk the neighborhoods you're interested in. Doormen (if you're interested in a doorman building) will tell you if there are any vacancies and who you can contact to see them. You might even be able to see them right away.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there...
I figured I''d chime in since my FI is a real estate broker in the city with some advice (obviously if you''d like his name and info, I''d be happy to pass that along too). All brokers in the city have the same access to all listings so there''s no need to have more than one broker. Pick one you trust and who clearly gets what elements of your search are most important with you. Em1 is right when she said to stroll around neighborhoods you like and pop into buildings that peek your interest. You can talk to the doorman who may know a resident broker who lives in the building who can help you. I know FI gets a lot of calls that way for our building. It takes a lot of patience but I''m sure you''ll find your perfect home. Wishing you lots of luck!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Coco...I assumed you are looking to buy because I thought you already live here and 502 park is condo's. I appologize if that wasn't the info that you are looking for. Let me know if you want rental advice otherwise if you are looking to buy I think the weekend open houses are the best way to see if you like an apartment as well as see what is out there.

I also wanted to add that it helps to make a list of priorites as to what you want when you are looking to buy. Our number one was outdoor space. We sacrificed some space and live in a smaller, older building so that we could get that. We also need to renovate our kitchen but we sacrificed that because we loved the outdoor space.

HTH!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
aww Charbie!! Hi! How have you been?

Thanks for all of the help! Thanks EmeraldLover! We are renting, not buying. We are mainly looking for apartments in condo buildings, not in rental buildings. So owners renting their condos. We looked at 10 or 11 apartments yesterday and only found 1 that was appealing-it was on 3rd and 64th which is the area that we want to be in. One we looked at was actually on the same street as Kleinfelds, which I thought was pretty funny! I always wanted to go there
3.gif
. It is just so hard. We began roaming the streets yesterday looking for nice buildings and collecting realtor business cards from the doormen. We are not planning on moving until April, but I am already so exhausted from the process.

Marlie, that would be great! How do we go about exchanging info?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 11:15:10 AM
Author: cocolaw
aww Charbie!! Hi! How have you been?

Thanks for all of the help! Thanks EmeraldLover! We are renting, not buying. We are mainly looking for apartments in condo buildings, not in rental buildings. So owners renting their condos. We looked at 10 or 11 apartments yesterday and only found 1 that was appealing-it was on 3rd and 64th which is the area that we want to be in. One we looked at was actually on the same street as Kleinfelds, which I thought was pretty funny! I always wanted to go there
3.gif
. It is just so hard. We began roaming the streets yesterday looking for nice buildings and collecting realtor business cards from the doormen. We are not planning on moving until April, but I am already so exhausted from the process.

Marlie, that would be great! How do we go about exchanging info?
That is exactly why I shouldn''t make assumptions. That is by me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can meet at Bloomies anytime if you move up here. My friend works at Jeri Cohen''s jewelry in the Trump Buliding right there. Anyway...I live on 56th btw 2nd and 3rd. I''ll ask our broker (she lives in our building) if she knows anyone renting their condo''s. Besides selling realestate in the area she knows soooooooo many people so I''ll ask.

I went to Kleinfelds for veil ideas but I never bought anything there. I love that area though. A friend of mine lived one street below.

Anyway, we have been in this area for almost three years now. We love it but it was a total change from the the 30''s and an even bigger change from living in the east village.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Surprisingly, I found the NYTimes very useful when we were looking. You''ll find something great.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Emerald I LOVE that area!!! I don''t really want to be any higher than 75th (at the very highest) and I do not want to be on first. You are so lucky to be there, and yes we should def. meet for some shopping!

What a great job your friend has. I think I would be visiting her at work all the time!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 10:28:42 PM
Author: mayachel
Surprisingly, I found the NYTimes very useful when we were looking. You''ll find something great.

I have been all over that! I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results