shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Ring Appraisal Price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idhntr

Rough_Rock
I purchased an engagement ring and it came with an appraisal with it. The appraisal is 2.8X the amount paid, so I am completely satisified with that. For insurance coverage, should I get an independant opinion? What does everyone else do reguarding this situation?
Thanks for the help.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you insure the ring for the appraised amount, you will be over paying in premiums by 2.8x. Most insurance companies retain the right to replace or refund at their descretion. (Chubb is an exception to this with their refund option). With insurance companies' buying power, they will be able to replace it for less than you paid or at the most, around what you paid. But, since they charge a $/$$ value insured, you will be paying a premium based on 2.8 times what you paid if you use the current appraisal.

I would talk to your insuance and see if a receipt is enough. If not, then I would get an independent appraiser to give you an appraisal at a reasonable replacement value, not retail replacement. Insurance companies do not pay retail. My company let me add a few thousand to what I paid on my internet purchased stone so that I have a buffer. My appraiser asked me what type of value I wanted him to give (internet, retail, reasonable replacement, etc.) Pick something reasonable and have your premiums reflect it, is my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results