shape
carat
color
clarity

Caught between two Princesses! Opinions requested.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Number6

Rough_Rock
It's getting close to decision time and I have two finalists.

------------------------------------------
Rock A

Report: GIA
Shape: Princess
Carat: 0.94
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 70.4
Table: 70
Crown Angle: 41.3
Crown %: 8.7
Pavilion Angle: 56.9
Pavilion %: 59.3
Girdle: Very thin to slightly thick
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.54 – 5.51 – 3.88
Length/Width: 1.01

------------------------------------------
Rock B

Report: GIA
Shape: Princess
Carat: 0.9
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 69.7
Table: 73
Crown Angle: 43
Crown %:9.2
Pavilion Angle: 59.6
Pavilion %: 56.1
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.61 - 5.21 - 3.63
Length/Width: 1.08

Rock A is slightly more expensive but in the same ballpark. Some of the literature I've read cautions against princesses with a l/w ratio over 1.06. But I'm not sure how much it really matters.

I'd be grateful for any opinions/advice! Thanks!

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Using the cut grading chart on www.gemappraisers.com, Rock A is a 1A cut stone and Rock B is a 2A. Admittedly, I'm not an expert, especially when it comes to fancy shaped stones, but taking into account the better cut of Rock A, combined with the fact that princess stones should be as square as possible, I would go with Rock A. But it's very hard to evaluate fancy shaped stones just by the numbers, so I would suggest asking for the vendor's opinions on the two stone's, ask for idealscope pictures if possible, and it's always a good idea to have the stone or stones sent to a trusted independent appraiser in you area so that you and he acan evaluate them with your own eyes. best of luck in your search.

Number6

Rough_Rock
Idealscope for Rock A

rocka.jpg

Number6

Rough_Rock
Idealscope Rock B

Thanks Magnum, I ried to post them earlier but it didn't work for some reason. Oh well.

I will certainly get an appraisal done either way.

rockb.jpg

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Idealscope for Rock A looks much better to me. Rock A has more of a reddish appearance, while Rock B has more of a pinkish color, suggesting A has better light return. Both show some leakage outside of the table around the edges, but that's not too abnormal for a princess, and A looks better in this respect, as well. Also, Rock A has a couple of larger block spots which should result in more intense light return in those spots in direct light conditions. If I had to pick between the two, i would go with Rock A.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w Magnum - if those were my only two choices, i'd choose stone A. Tho the crown's a tad low, if it's still a sparkler, my only major concern would be the very thin to sl thick girdle...

Crue4

Rough_Rock
Not an expert, but based on learning since I have been looking for 2 months, I would choose Rock A

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
As a comparison, hee's one from Whiteflash that has a real nice IS picture:

whiteflash princess 1.02 F VS2 $4,250

I doubt you'd see any difference between E VVS2 and F VS2, and if they're priced similarly, it might be one to consider.

IS_GIA-12942958.jpg

Number6

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip Magnum! That one has an extremely thin girdle though. Isn't that something to be avoided? (I read that chipping is a concern.)

I certainly see what you mean though about the color on the idealscope! WOW!

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
I just noticed that Rock A is actually a whiteflash stone as well. Out of all the princess stones they have listed between $4k and $5K, I actually like the F VS2 the best, by far, and it's also the least expensive one on the page. unless you need to know that on paper it's an E VVS2, in my opinion, F VS2 will be extremely white and almost definitely eye-clean. It might be a good idea to ask Brian the Cutter to take a look at a couple fo the princess and let him give you his opinion. I here he's very helpful, and will give you his honest opinion.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure about the girdle. That would be a good question to ask Brian and something to consider. It might depend on the type of setting you want to use and how much of the girdle is extremely thin, and where on the diamond that part is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results