shape
carat
color
clarity

Confession from an UGLY jewelry buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I''m hoping I''m not alone in the sick little habit of mine. There have been occaisions that I have seen the UGLIEST (barking dawg) ring or pendant that had been a custom piece and someone came to the senses or opened their eyes finally, up for sale or on auction. I''m really drawn to these pieces for some strange reason to figure out "what on earth possesed someone to create such a piece" and to pick it apart in my mind.

Many times the center stone is very high quality and the only redeeming factor. These pieces have been discounted to unbelieveable prices because they are just so ugly. I admit to purchasing these just for the stone(s) (if the certified gem reports are with the piece).

Yes, I buy UGLY jewelry, just for the stones it contains.....so there, my consience is clear. Anybody out ther understand?

Connie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol! What do you do with them? And do you have pics?

I can say that I think I understand, but I''m not a practitioner of buying ugly jewelry...but MAN I''ve seen some doozies! I always feel bad for the stones...

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to see some pics! There''s some crazy stuff out there...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, post some pictures. Before and after resetting shots.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pictures!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
me too, I want to se pics:)

K9

Brilliant_Rock
x7 on the request to see pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As they say, one person''s trash is another''s treasure, so let''s see those pictures!
31.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hi. I''m Uppy, and I''m an ugly jewelry buyer.

As many of you already know, I''m obsessed with vintage jewelry. I''ve gotten a lot of good deals on ebay, but the best has to be a horribly ugly yellow gold diamond ring from the 70''s. It was so darned dirty and the seller had horrible pictures and was terrible at answering questions. When no one bid on her auction, and I still contacted her about more pictures, we ended up settling on a Buy It Now, but she was horrible at following through. In any other situation I would have run for the hills, but I really had a sense that there was something special here. And boy, oh boy, was I right! The main stone ended up being a 1.07 M VS old mine/euro cut stone that looks light yellow in some light and light champagne in others. It is undeniably the most beautifully cut stone I''ve ever seen.

It''s journey wasn''t finished however. I ended up selling the loose diamond because we needed to reroof our house. The seller remounted the stone in a modern bridge setting. About a year later she listed the ring for sale. I jumped on the chance to bring it back home. From there I had Ari at Singlestone create a custom 22k yellow gold hammered mounting for it. It will NEVER leave my possession again!!

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment:

before&afterOEC.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
love it, uppy.

i have a stone similar to it - 1.12 transitional cut J/K color, probably VS clarity. i have bigger diamonds, but with this stone, everywhere i take it, people comment on how beautiful it is. it''s like looking into the sorts of slightly yellow colored fresh water swimming holes one finds occasionally in the bush here in australia. with yellow sand underneath, yellow/green eucalypts surrounding and sunshine hitting the water, you get the same light yellow, transparent sparkle that i see in this stone.

when i bought it, tho, it was in one of the most awful settings i''d ever seen. i''d say a 1960''s setting, but that would be to insult the 60''s. really funky white gold wire basket setting that sat about 15 miles off my finger; shocking! it''s currently languishing in a spare tiffany-style setting i had, waiting for its day to come....

here''s a very bad photo, low res, taken indoors in the evening, of the stone in question. a gorgeous stone. (must get it a decent photo shoot...)

whitbyringsabc.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 2:02:01 PM
Author: Upgradable
35.gif
Hi. I''m Uppy, and I''m an ugly jewelry buyer.

As many of you already know, I''m obsessed with vintage jewelry. I''ve gotten a lot of good deals on ebay, but the best has to be a horribly ugly yellow gold diamond ring from the 70''s. It was so darned dirty and the seller had horrible pictures and was terrible at answering questions. When no one bid on her auction, and I still contacted her about more pictures, we ended up settling on a Buy It Now, but she was horrible at following through. In any other situation I would have run for the hills, but I really had a sense that there was something special here. And boy, oh boy, was I right! The main stone ended up being a 1.07 M VS old mine/euro cut stone that looks light yellow in some light and light champagne in others. It is undeniably the most beautifully cut stone I''ve ever seen.

It''s journey wasn''t finished however. I ended up selling the loose diamond because we needed to reroof our house. The seller remounted the stone in a modern bridge setting. About a year later she listed the ring for sale. I jumped on the chance to bring it back home. From there I had Ari at Singlestone create a custom 22k yellow gold hammered mounting for it. It will NEVER leave my possession again!!

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment:
That''s an awesome story
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results