shape
carat
color
clarity

A good princess cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dsong1

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking at this diamond at Christian Bernard:

1.01 carat
GIA certified
E color, S2 clarity
3mm, knife edge platinum ring

The manager is willing to sell it to me for a total of $5100. That includes tax. What do you think?

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Hi Welcome to Pricescope!

Do you have any other measurements on the stone? Fancies are really hard to judge without seeing them, but a few guidelines help! Try www.gemappraisers.com for their cut chart and choose the princess from the pull-down menu at the right. If this is a GIA stone it probably does not have crown and pavillion angle information on the cert, but ask your jeweler if he can get those numbers for you.

Let us know what you find out!
Colleen

dsong1

Rough_Rock
Thanks Colleen! Well, I remember the depth was about 67%. What would you suggest as being the most important things in buying a diamond? All I have really known is to look at color and clarity. Is this still a good cut? There was also one at Rogers and Hollands that the manager was willing to sell for $4600 total including tax for an E,VS1 1 ct. but IGI cert.

Please help me people. I'm going to propose this month and i'm starting to panic!

SFDavey

Rough_Rock
Don't panic!

wavey.gif

robbe

Shiny_Rock
67% is not too bad. i'm affraid it's not enough information.

try to post some more numbers.

good luck. robbe

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to a whole new world!!!
1.gif
Do yourself a favor and go to a good vendor who really only sells good cuts. Finding a good princess is such a pain...but worth it, I think. I almost gave up and went to a round (gasp! lol)...You really need to go to the gemappraisers cut chart and use it for BASIC guidance. Then, you need to see the stone in person and judge, with your eyes, if it is pleasing. Your eye plus that chart is a recipe for success!
1.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
see lots'n'lots'n'lots'n'lots'n'lots of diamonds... try and find a local dealer that sells brand name "ideal" cut rounds so that you start to get an idea as to what a well cut diamond is supposed to look like. Then compare to the Pricesses most local stores have. Get an idealscope! Use the cut charts at gemappraisers.com. I gave up on local store Princess and Radiants but you may ne very lucky.

dsong1

Rough_Rock
well, it wasnt in the store. the manager ordered it from somewhere else and he's bringing it to the store this friday. so i'm going to check it out. and then he'll order the ring and setting as well if i like the diamond. what do you think?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
there is no way to formulate an opinion. Is it really an E. Is it really an Si2? How does it look? Can you see the inclusions? What is the table? What is the crown info? What is the girdle....X Thin? There is no way to tell if it's a good price without that info. There is SO much more than color and clarity. They are really secondary.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear D song.

Analysis of a diamond cannot be done by guessing at the numbers.

The stone needs to be tested.

If you have questions- give me a call.

The Brilliance Scope helps a lot too.

561-392-4054

Bill Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A new cut is becoming available whic is far better than the average princess.

Obviously a little more pricey, but well worth the difference.

Bill Rockdoc

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
the jubilee?
1.gif
I like it a lot...but it's even more expensive than a H&A...or at least that's what I hear....and if you can find a princess with a great depth, than the size diff (considering the pointed corners) isn't that great....
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Not to go off on a tanget....Roc Doc- I have a quick questions....how accurate do you think the BScope is....can there be "false" positive results (assuming it is used correctly- are there characteristics of a stone (a princess, for ex) that can cause some "false" great results that will never be apparant to the eye?) If that makes any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results