shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid dress help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I've started to shop for bridesmaids' dresses and in the process have fallen in love with shantung -- specifically, with any of the short dresses on this site:

http://www.jennyyoo.com/shangtung.html

I think the prices are a bit high -- I would like to stay under $200. Do you ladies know of other companies doing similar dresses at lower prices? Could you point me in the right direction?

I also have two other questions -- do you think these dresses will likely require alterations? And lastly, I am worried about the quality of the material my girls will be wearing. Do you think Shantung is a high quality, natural material? Or do I run any danger of getting Polyester-ish material under a different name? (Note that Jenny Yoo also has a "Eastern Silk Shantung" fabric on her site... not sure how that is different.)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Here is my experience with Shantung so take it for what it is worth. I''m not a fan of this material for bm dresses especially if it is a light color. I had to wear it in light green and it was a very humid day. The minute that you sweat in these dresses you see it! The material does not strech at all so if the dress ordered does not fit you perfectly it will have to be altered. I don''t have any other suggestions. The one I wore was aria bridesmaids and it was more than $200. Hope it helps!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:48:58 AM
Author: emeraldlover1
Here is my experience with Shantung so take it for what it is worth. I''m not a fan of this material for bm dresses especially if it is a light color. I had to wear it in light green and it was a very humid day. The minute that you sweat in these dresses you see it! The material does not strech at all so if the dress ordered does not fit you perfectly it will have to be altered. I don''t have any other suggestions. The one I wore was aria bridesmaids and it was more than $200. Hope it helps!
Thanks, EM, that helps. What materials have you liked wearing as a BM (if any)?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
well, I have only been in a few but the silk charmuse was my favorite and that is also what my bridesmaids wore. They were around the same price (Melissa Sweet BM) but the fabric was nice and much more forgiving. I hope that helps. I know that I also liked a chiffon dress that I had to wear as well.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
For style, I would check out the dresses in the Watters Maids and WToo Maids collections, then order them from Pearl''s Place. They are cheaper than the Jenny Yoos to begin with, and PP had them much cheaper than any boutique.

I have never worn Shantung, but I have worn a Watters dress in Chiffon and I did not need alterations.

Best of luck on your search!

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I would try looking at Dessy.com, and would second the Watters bridesmaid dresses. Dessy has a search you can do by fabric type, and I think most of their dresses are around 250 and under for silk shantung.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Chiffon is my second favorite fabric, so maybe I''ll look that route.

Pearl''s Place is a great suggestion, thanks!

Never would have guessed Silk Charmeuse would be forgiving... doesn''t it cling/show bumps/cellulite/etc.? Shows how little I know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results