shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 1st Feb till 7th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

I wanted to discuss being prepared this week. Being prepared is a great motto to adopt throughout this healthier lifestyle journey as this plays an essential part in our success. Not having a plan can be a hugely detrimental, ' winging it' rarely works when trying to reduce body fat and get healthier.

Being prepared for me means;

Having access to healthy foods and the means to make healthy meals. It also means having quick and easy options so I can avoid hunger. A program or method of keeping track of calories is a huge benefit as is a plan of how to spend those calories in order to receive maximum nutritional benefit, and to include some higher calorie foods to avoid feelings of deprivation.

Menu planning is very helpful.

Cooking in bulk and freezing individual portions can be a great way to save time through busy periods.

Planning menus that a partner or spouse can also enjoy is also very helpful in order to reduce time cooking separate meals.

What do you do to be prepared? Please share your tips!

Have a great week
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - great opener, as usual! I agree being prepared is so important. Even when I''m going out to eat, I look at the menu online before I go- and see if I can find an online calorie counter to see if the meal is "worth it" and often times I find that it isn''t... though I do keep in mind that portions are everything, and they aren''t always as advertised.

Rod- I''m glad they cracked down this year on the parade! Not that I like children getting into trouble- but it is good to get a slap on the wrist with a MIP - than something more serious like a DWI later on wheer they could harm themselves or others.

Marcy- 9" what a deep sink! ooo, sounds nice. *lusting*

Everyone Happy monday! I had a terrific weekend, and now on to another week! i''m heading to the pool tonight to swim with the hubs. We made this great dish for supper w/ quinoa, cilantro, black beans, corn, onions, peppers, and hubs threw in some rotel for flavor. It was really tastey, easy to make, and wow - we had a lot leftover. It was extremely filling, and had a lot of natural flavor. Have a great week all!
35.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello healthy PSers!
35.gif
I joined this thread briefly in the past, but I think I''ll join again. I always find myself lurking and reading your posts; they give me great food ideas, and great work out tips!

A little bit about me; I recently got married in October, and my DH and I moved to CO soon after. I like to run and am aiming for a half in May. I generally eat healthier than my husband, but he jumped on the healthy bandwagon, and it has made it easier for me to eat better.

My husband and I plan out out meals for the week and we shop every Sunday together. We spend a lot of time picking our veggies/fruit and deciding on the weeks protien. With every protien we''ll have a vegatable and a carbohydrate, usually cous cous, polenta, or sweet potato.

Thanks for having me!
1.gif

tlh-
you dinner sounds amazing and I love Quinoa; such a good grain!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
hey all,
I just wanted to update that I''ve been doing some plyometric work and lots of yoga, but my shoulders and back have prevented much running. I''m thinking my half marathon is out for now until I figure this out. The doctors have put me on muscle relaxants and I''m on a lot of vitamins, but so far am the same.
15.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Monday everyone!

Lorelei, thanks for the opener! Being prepared, for us, means having one of the Queen of Green veggies (brocolli, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, asparagus) in our fridge at all times. DH used to think iceberg lettuce and cucumbers were green veggies, but I've turned him onto more nutrient dense veggies and now he loves them. The trick is to prepare them properly!! These green veggies really help to fill me up, pack a ton of nutrients, and save a lot on grocery bills. Frozen spinach is an excellent option for those who don't have time to shop for fresh produce. And we also prepare for times when we REALLY REALLY wanna order takeout because we're too lazy too cook... those are the times I turn to a simple veggie soup. Just saute whatever veggies you happened to have in the fridge (my fave combo is kale, mushrooms, onions and beans), and add a veggie broth. Always tasty, filling, cheap, and takes like 10 minutes to cut, saute and add broth.

I was reading through last week's posts and Marcy, you had me cracking up again and again. I loved the "wine deficiency", watching the Grammy's just for the jewelry and Marty blocking the sun. You're hilarious. I agree with tlh, that you may be potassium deficient...also maybe dehydrated, and not sleeping enough. That combo will usually get my eye twitching. Sorry to hear you were stressed. Hopefully it's better this week. Are you enjoying your new sink?!!!! My shower backfired. I have learned my lesson! No infection though, thank goodness.

Welcome Beach Runner!!!

I totally missed the Grammy's. I'm sure there are clips on the internet. I love seeing what people wore. I just love seeing beautiful people!

Knee rehab is going fine. I was out and about over the weekend. I managed to shower on Thursday but water did seep into my "saran wrap cover." The wound stayed dry but the out edges of the bandage got wet. I have resorted to sponge baths and washing my hair in an awkward bent over position from outside the bathtub.

tlh, I'm fascinated with this waterproof bandage you speak of. I thought I had tried every waterproof bandage ever made! For some reason I'm always trying to go in the water with battle wounds, so I'm always trying to cover them up.

deegee, how's your caffeine overhaul going?

dragon
7.gif
So sorry to hear that you're still in pain. I hope the yoga and plyo help. It's better to put off the half and just work on your strength. There will be plenty more opportunities.

rod, you have the patience of a saint. I mean, I already know you're one of the nicest people in the world because we've "known" each for a while, but you're nice to total strangers too. Amazing.

DH and I bought a de buyer mandoline from Williams-Sonoma for an absurd amount of money (wedding gift cards that we still haven't used). It is going right back because we just couldn't get it to work right. It doesn't cut smoothly. The food just gets squished over the blades. After our first trial on the de buyer, I decided (of course, too late) to look up recommendations on cook's illustrated. Of course they recommend the cheaper one that we DIDN'T get - the oxo v-blade. The good news however, is that we hung up our hanging pot rack. That was another purchase from wedding gift cards (Crate & Barrel). It's just a simple skinny bar hanging from our ceiling in the kitchen. It was our accomplishment of the weekend. Hubs is so not-handy. I'm the Bob Villa in the family, but the pot rack was all him!! I did help find the wood beams in the ceiling, and I measured out the location of the holes though. :)

My gosh, I have so much to write about. Sorry guys!! I wanted to also post about our NYC Restaurant Week adventures. Rod, talk about indulging when you are on the lam!!! On Friday night, we went to Bond St Sushi, and it was amazing. One of the best meals we've ever had. I love when people pay attention to detail, and I appreciate the creativity with which the Bond St folks did everything. Last night we went to a Jean-George (thinking of KimberlyH!!) restau called Perry St (DH wants to know why all these fancy restaurants couldn't be more creative with their names. They're just named for the streets they're on!). That was a bit disappointing. The most enjoyable part of the meal was the amuse bouche (spiced butternut squash soup with sunflower seeds and coconut foam served in a little espresso cup). That was fantastic. Tonight we are going to the Russian Tea Room, which is a place I've always been fascinated with. Can't wait!

Seeing surgeon tomorrow to get stitches removed!! Today is going to consist of sitting on my butt, studying, until it's time for dinner.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Hi beach runner - I have this recipe I got (I think from Rachel Ray) I serve with Cous Cous... it is pretty tastey! Good luck on your half! That is probably my favorite distance!

df- sorry to hear you''re in pain. I hope that the muscle relaxers help your therapy!

cj- I wish I could remember the name of it... it is in the bandaid aisle in an orange box. It is just like cellophane... but not. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Your trip sounds wonderful- and that coconut creme bevvie sounds mmm mm good!

Moroccan Shrimp with Spices
1 pound raw large shrimp
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
the juice of 1 lemon
the leaves from a bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
lemon wedges to serve

Remove the shells, legs, heads, and tails from the shrimp. Cut along the back with the point of a sharp knife and remove the dark thread. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, and cook until it becomes aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cumin, ginger, paprika, and cayenne pepper, heat for about 30 seconds, then add the shrimp and lemon juice. Fry quickly, stirring, until the shrimp turns pink. Stir in the cilantro, heat for about 30 seconds, then serve the shrimp with the cooking juices spooned over and accompanied by lemon wedges. Serve w/ cous cous.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
oh and cj- I''m super excited about your stitches getting removed... how exciting!!!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hey, HLTers!

Flying by.....

Cleaned Grandma''s today. Grandpa pointed out how much I''m showing. Thanks. I''ve been really busy trying to help sis plan her wedding on a short schedule. We''ve walked MILES AND MILES every day for the past week! I know it''s good for me, but I just want a nap!

In other news, I''m finally looking for my 30th b-day present (bday was in Oct). I want a diamond band (probably 5 stone, .5-.75ctw) to stack with a couple other bands that represent the kids, or with my anni ring. I''m very excited!! I have a couple diamond pieces that I hope to be able to use on trade-in. I did find a decent band at a maul store and they offered a good trade-in because they''re so overpriced to begin with! The band LOOKED pretty good although stats were not, I don''t know if I want to take the risk of being mauled but I know a gorgeous WF band is out of my league.
39.gif

Anywho, Have a great week all!

CJ~ yay for getting the stitches out!

df~ Hope you feel better!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 2:47:55 PM
Author: tlh

Hi beach runner - I have this recipe I got (I think from Rachel Ray) I serve with Cous Cous... it is pretty tastey! Good luck on your half! That is probably my favorite distance!

df- sorry to hear you''re in pain. I hope that the muscle relaxers help your therapy!

cj- I wish I could remember the name of it... it is in the bandaid aisle in an orange box. It is just like cellophane... but not. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Your trip sounds wonderful- and that coconut creme bevvie sounds mmm mm good!

Moroccan Shrimp with Spices
1 pound raw large shrimp
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
the juice of 1 lemon
the leaves from a bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
lemon wedges to serve

Remove the shells, legs, heads, and tails from the shrimp. Cut along the back with the point of a sharp knife and remove the dark thread. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, and cook until it becomes aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cumin, ginger, paprika, and cayenne pepper, heat for about 30 seconds, then add the shrimp and lemon juice. Fry quickly, stirring, until the shrimp turns pink. Stir in the cilantro, heat for about 30 seconds, then serve the shrimp with the cooking juices spooned over and accompanied by lemon wedges. Serve w/ cous cous.

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like something I''d really like.
I''ve only ever "competed" in a 5k race, so my goal of the half is just to finish! I''m a pretty slow runner (~10min mile during my longer runs) so once I finish a half, then I''ll train to increase speed too.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey......It's now almost 10:30 and I just took a break from working and I still have more work to do. It was a very tough day. I had a candidate implode on herself and went from getting a job offer, to not getting one. She's mature and should know better. But, after getting through first round and second round interviews, she went in on Friday to speak with the Director. She got a little too confident and used no less than 3 bad words (curse) in front of the director. When they called me this morning to let me know, I was simply mortified. How could an intelligent professional use such poor judgement?? How?? And there's nothing I can to save it for her and now I have to start the recruiting process all over again. It was really hard to call her and give her the bad news. Instead of making her feel worse by chastising her, I told her she didn't get the job because she didn't come across as professionally as she could. Then I suggested she think about whatever it is she might have done and make sure to avoid that in the future. She got very quiet when I told her, so I'm sure she knows what she said. At least I was finally able to meet Charlie for sushi about 7 and it was good.

Lorelei, having a plan is really important. We do our best to plan our meals in advance. I wish I had more time to elaborate, but I'm against a deadline and have to get back to work.

CJ, I'm blushing.......thank you for such a nice complement!! You actually made my night!! Yay for getting your stitches removed!

Welcome BeachRunner.

Hey Marcy, TLH, dragon, and anyone I may have missed............Now (he said as the whip was cracked above his head) back to work.........

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.

35.gif
Marty and I both have a case of the crankies tonight.
38.gif
He started getting phone calls from work about 11 pm last night.He had both the house phone and his cell phone going.Good thing he didn’t need to borrow mine; he’d look cute using my pinkberry.He ended up going in to work until about 5 am.I ventured over to the spare bedroom but still didn’t sleep well.I woke up when he got home and didn’t really go back to sleep.

Work was Awful Part 42

29.gif
which was the catalyst for my crankies but I can always amuse myself with obnoxious emails that I never send.
11.gif
My employees give me a hard time one of these days I am accidentally going to send one of them and they said if we all get called to HR they’ll deny knowing I would ever do something like write a smart alec email.
9.gif

My eye is not twitching much today but my sinuses on that side are trying to get my attention and succeeding very well.

39.gif

I cooked burgers on the grill for supper; we had some steam and mash potatoes, veggies and some slow churned ice cream.

3.gif
We enjoyed Top Gear will dining at our plush coffee table and I worked on dishes during commercials.

Lorelei, great points about planning ahead so you have healthy meals ready or planned.I did not get my low fat lasagna made yesterday so need to figure out new menu items for lunch this week.At least I have everything I need to make it this weekend.

Tlh, I like to do that too – check the calories listed online before we go anywhere.I am always delighted when I find something I like that is in my calorie range.My 9” sink worked great tonight doing the dishes.Water doesn’t even splash out when I use my spray nozzle.Sweet.

1.gif
Your husband’s supper creation sounds terrific.

Welcome Beach Runner and howdy neighbor!

35.gif
I am in WY.That is great you and your husband are both eating healthy.It does make it easier.

Dragonfly, hope the vitamins and muscle relaxers work.

CJ, your veggie soup sounds great.I believe my eye could be a combination of lack of potassium, dehydration and lack of sleep. I am thoroughly enjoying my new sink. Sorry your shower backfired on you.I know it is practically impossible to keep stitches dry in a show.Glad you didn’t get an infection though.I am delighted to hear knee rehab is going fine.I remember after one of my knee surgeries I was on crutches, pretty stupid from pain pills and very bored.So I got dressed so I can to go to a nearby store to look around.I had a car out front and a car out back of the house so I am kind of walking around the living room on crutches in a circle and it finally dawned on me it didn’t matter which car I wanted to take since it was my right knee there was no way I was going to drive.At least it kept me busy for awhile.Your pot and pan rack sounds very cool.Marty would probably hang ours just out of my reach so he could be amused watching me stretch to try and get them.They laugh at me when we play cards at lunch because I can barely reach the center of the table if I take that round of cards.I guess I stick my tongue out when I stretch – I tell them it helps my arm reach farther.

Somethingshiny, that is wonderful you are walking so much.Wedding plans sound fun.A wedding band sounds like a marvelous birthday present.You can find nice things in the mall but it takes a lot of looking (which in itself is rather fun).

Rod, how awful that lady blew her shot at a job but uttering some colorful phrases.Hopefully she does realize her mistake and doesn't repeat them on future interviews.

Well, all this blathering has almost put me to sleep so I guess I will go start working on getting ready for bed.I think Marty is zonked out already.I hope his phone doesn’t ring tonight.

Take care.

Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

Lorelei - Planning and preparing has become very important to me. This time last year I was stopping on the way to work in the mornings for a Tudor's biscuit (a sausage biscuit the size of a hamburger) and sweet tea. Now on Sundays I plan and portion my breakfasts into individual containers for the week, and grab them on the way out in the mornings. When hubby and I go grocery shopping on Sunday, we plan exactly what we are going to have for five meals during the week. That's major for two people who ate out every meal, every day for the first 14 years of marriage!

tlh - Yay! Congrats to Mr. tlh! Are you looking forward to moving? Do you get to look for a new job where they won't work you to death? I have already informed Matt that if we have to move again, I'm officially becoming a stay at home doggie mom because my brain is full and I can't learn anything else! I think he'd move to Louisville in a heartbeat. He turned down that opportunity a few years ago, and I think he regrets it sometimes. Will you be closer to family?

Hi BeachRunner & dragonfly!

cj - glad you're getting your stitches out! My hubby isn't handy, just like yours. We bought a new ceiling fan last August (or maybe it was July) for our bedroom because ours is old, ugly, it rattles, and only one light out of 4 actually works. The new fan is still sitting where he put it when we got home - on the landing outside of our bedroom door. The carpet is probably smashed down by now! I'm not handy either, so that thing's going to be there for a while. My caffeine project is going better since I decided to go down gradually. I love my diet dew though!

shiny - Matt bought me a 5-stone band for our anniversary one year, and I LOVE it! I wear it on my right hand nearly every day. It's a 1 cttw HOF band and I've had it for about 10 years. I'd love to have it reset in that really cool WF setting that shows the sides of the diamonds, but I just bought earrings so that project is a long way off. Good luck in your search!

rod - that really stinks about your candidate. Back to something you said last week about qualified applicants - I have an opening in my department for an accountant/auditor (accounting or related degree required). The applications I have received so far are from people with experience as a plumber's assistant, a convenience store shelf stocker, and a graveyard maintenance worker. None of them have accounting experience! Why do they apply? My ad ran in the paper yesterday - wish me luck.

hi marcy! I'm sorry you have the crankies! The last year I taught school, my eye twitched for a solid month. I think it was all stress related - that's the year I decided to change careers. I hope you get some good sleep tonight.

We had a great weekend with my nephew. We got an unexpected snowstorm Friday night and ended up with about 6 inches of snow on Saturday morning. It got down to 8 degrees, but we walked anyway. My nephew was a trooper and walked with us, and didn't complain at all. Good kid! I tried to get a few pictures of my new earrings over the weekend, but we haven't had sunlight in days. It's just dreary and gray outside. I have a hair appointment tomorrow and am thinking about getting it cut a little shorter so my new earrings will show! That's wrong, isn't it? I'm not used to having sparkly ears! I'm in class all day tomorrow, so I need to get to bed. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time sitting all day through a class without nodding off. Have a great day everyone!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
shiny- what a wonderful gift for your 30th birthday! good job on the low impact walking!

BR- glad you like the recipe, it is pretty tastey! I think you''ll really like the 1/2 distance. I like the community aspect of the 1/2, as it is a whole different beast. It is a run full of character and life - and it helped me get past all the numbers I used to saddle myself with. When you run it, take a moment to look around you and soak it all in - it is amazing the sort of folks you''ll see sharing the road with ya.

Rod- Wow, I cannot believe she used nasty words on her interview. Just WOW. I''m glad sushi soothed it out, and I hope you have a gr8 workout tonight!

marcy- wow, I''m sorry for your rough night, and that work continues to be a beast. Sometimes I do that. Usually when I''m the most upset it will take me half an hour to compose an email... so I come across firm but not a meanie pants... or b!tchy to be more precise. But sometimes it does feel good to write it all out - and then just delete it. Sometimes just seeing the words makes me feel better- so I am with ya! I''m glad your eye isn''t twitching on top of everthing else!

DG- Yeah, I''m excited about the move. I may be able to work remotely from home - but there is a lot of red tape- and I''m gonna magic 8 ball an "outlook not good". So I''ll just start my search if I have to. Though I wouldn''t mind being a stay at home doggy mom either! Yeah, we''ll be a lot closer to home. Our families are in STL and we''ll a few hours away... so not too shabby! I had an offer back in our hometown a couple years ago, and I turned it down. I used to regret it - but now I know it worked out for the best. I''m sure w/ Matt it is the same thing if he really thought about it. Your nephew is a trooper! Wow, that is pretty cool, and impressive. I''ll give you all mad props for making it out in the cold and snow!

Everyone happy tuesday! Still busy at work - which isn''t too bad, since they are trying to keep me as a remote employee - if the paperwork can get approved. Sounds win-win to me. Yesterday hubs and I went for a swim, and you can tell it is winter. Snowbirds everywhere! So we doubled up in our lane, and did some races. I got him some new red jammers and it was cute to see his little red tush a foot or so in front of me. So I''d be lying if I said I LET him win... he is faster than I am.. but I did enjoy the view. I''m glad I have an automatic lane partner because man, it got busy last night. There is a new kids swim team that formed up, and w/ all the snow birds the lanes were getting packed - and not everyone can swim in a straight line. The run this morning was good, except for a lady that had 2 dogs off leash. I don''t have a problem with dogs off leash if the owner can control them. But she can''t. One dog took off and ran with me almost a 1/4 of a mile - and not that I''m a jerk - but I didn''t want to stop and run the dog back to the owner, just because she doesn''t like to actually attach the leash that is in her hand to her dog''s collar. She just stood there SCREAMING her dogs name over and over. Then the dog lost interest in me and darted into the street when a car was coming. Lady, your black labs are NOT visible at 4:30 in the morning... so keep them on their leash for THEIR SAFETY. Unfortunately this is a daily ritual for the lady - she was just out a bit earlier than usual. BLEH. I did want to clarify though. I have been running when someone''s dog has gotten loose... and I WILL stop for them... and try to return the dog to the owner...I''ve damaged quite a few earbuds that way -this lady is just a repeat offender who cannot control her poochies. Tonight for dinner the hubs and I are having baked Eggplant with tomato and feta cheese. Yummy!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Tuesday!

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Marcy- I hear WY is beautiful; my husband and I will def. be visiting it one day, for sure. Yuck for getting calls for work at night. I used to be on-call and it was hard for me to sleep because I would be anticipating the phone ringing.

tlh- I have the same problem with dogs who aren''t tied; esp if the owners are walking and I run by, the dog always want to follow. Sometimes I don''t realize it, and the dog will scare me. Do you run every morning? I don''t think work out before work; it''s just too early for me. Do you have a set mileage you run daily when you aren''t training?

Last night I got home from work late, and did NOT want to run on the treadmill. So, I ran a quick 3 outside; it was getting dark and windy so I hurried through my run. I love running outdoors compared to on the treadmill
14.gif
Husband made mahi mahi, brocoli, and polenta. Yum. I usually drink water but DH makes his own tea (brews green tea, and adds honey and all natural concentrated fruit) Its tasty!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! this thread is hopping this week!

Lorelei, thanks for the good kick-off! Being prepared is one that I am really trying to work on.

I''m home sick today with a head cold/flu and a fever of almost 102! YUCK!!! So, my food plan for yesterday and today is jello and noodle soup
14.gif

Other than that, DH and I have been trying to cook more and keep portions in the freezer so that we are prepared for the nights we don''t have time to cook. It''s a good feeling to be on top of things and to have healthy options we made.

I''ll be back with more later today:)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Finally some time to post to everyone!! I have missed you guys!

Lorelei~ BIG ditto on quick, easy and healthy options. When I get hungry (especially now) I often won''t/can''t wait to prepare a good meal. I need those healthy tidbits or I''d be grabbing a bag of donettes!

Welcome, Beachrunner! Yay for getting your DH to eat healthier (wish mine would!) and GOOD luck for your marathon training!

df~ Sorry that your marathon may be on hold. I''m sure you''ll be able to get back into it as soon as your back and shoulders are better. I just gotta say, it sucks that you have to go through this after what hard work you put into getting healthy.

CJ~ Your restaurant tour sounds amazing!

Rod~ OY to the interviewee cussing! What is wrong with some people?? Hope you''re staying healthy with all these crazy hours you''re putting in at work! You and Charlie should try to take a weekend somewhere and unwind. You deserve it!

Marcy~ Sorry for yet another bad work day, but lol to your emails! That is something I would do too. I used to get lots of the eye twitches that were associated with stress and allergies. SO annoying! Especially when you''re trying to talk to someone and all they do is stare at your eyeball. My eye has twitched so much over the years, I can actually cause it to twitch now. It''s not a particularly useful skill, but a skill nonetheless! I know that you''ve found some nice jewelry pieces locally. How do you do it?? I did find a nice maul band but of course it was I-J, I1. The stones were small enough that they didn''t look particularly included but perhaps a bit milky. I''m going to go to the jeweler that i found my art deco band at. Maybe he''ll have a bit higher quality bands.

deegee~ I bet your HOF band is great. I know I would love that style for a very long time. It seems to be the first band I''m drawn to, and it would stack great with my other rings. When I cut out caffeine, I did it gradually. The diet dew headaches are the worst!! I dropped 2 cans/day immediately (I was drinking 6-8/day). Then every couple days I''d drop another can. It didn''t really take very long to do it but I did start drinking some diet sierra mist because I was so used to having a soda at certain times of the day. The diet mist was really easy to drop because it doesn''t have near the flavor that dew does. Yay for walking in the snow, that''s a great workout!! lol about getting shorter hair to show off your earrings! Maybe just tuck it.

CJ~ One of my greatest pet peeves are people who won''t/can''t control their dogs, especially when I''ve got a little kid at the park.

bella~ Sorry you don''t feel good. Enjoy your noodle soup.

Everything is good here. I''ve been really hungry but I dropped the 1-2 lbs I gained. I have a dr appt tomorrow so I''ll find out if I''m in "trouble" then. That''s all for now, sis just called to talk more wedding.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
eeek Shiny! Start putting those pounds back on lady!! I hope your doctor''s visit goes well tomorrow.

rod, that''s such a sad situation about the candidate and her profanities. I wonder if the director was having some casual conversation and cursed a bit too, which the candidate took as a green light to let loose too. Regardless, she should have been at her most professional.
38.gif
I wish you luck in finding new candidates.

tlh, I had to look up "snowbirds." Haha, I thought they were actual birds in your pool.
41.gif
That''s cute that you and your hubby swim together. If I can get my hubs to fix his form (he''s a doggy paddler, but he knows the basics of freestyle and breast stroke), maybe we can swim together too. I bought him a pair of jammers last year, but he was like "no way am I wearing those." I hope it works out that you can work remotely from home. That would be awesome. Working in your PJs!

Marcy, your story reminded me of when I used to sing in college. When I had one-on-one sessions with the director, he would ask me to try hitting some higher notes. I used to crinkle my forehead, squint my eyes closed really tight and just generally make an ugly face when trying to sing the higher notes. The director was not amused. He was like, "making that face will not help you get those notes!!" haha... Anyway, I hope you and Marty get some sleep tonight!

deegee, ha, yes it is annoying to have shelves and stuff laying around our home because DH doesn''t want to play handyman. I''m laughing because I can picture your fan on the floor, getting dusty and sad from neglect. We''ve got some shelves waiting for some attention too. Someday...

Got my stitches out this morning!! Yay! Return to work tomorrow. Boo! Then jury duty on Thursday. It''s gonna be a fun filled week. Tonight we have dinner plans with friends, but tomorrow I''m going back to the gym!! Surgeon said it''s ok to work out on the stationary bike, and swim a little. Awesome.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
BR- I run about 6 days a week - but I''m pretty flexible when life happens. I just prefer a routine. I started running earlier and earlier to deal with the 120* days out here over the summer, and well habbits stick. Eh, I dont really have a set mileage a day. I just run for time and find it to be a lot more freeing overall. When i have to run on the treadmill I try to make a game of it... I pick out someone in my periphial, and try to outrun/outlast them. It feels like a tiny victory - and makes what is otherwise pretty boring, a bit less.

bella- get well soon!!!

shiny- hope all is well! Weddings are fun to plan. I know you''re just an awesome sister!

cj- I think so too! You know the book total immersion swimming may help him. It helped my hubs who had horrible form get in the pool and kick my booty. The dvd is funny to watch, but it helped my hubs out. I''m glad your stitches are out and you can start the road to recovery! EXCITING! (Even if it is a bit slower than you''d had hoped.)

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!
Lifes been crazy over the past two weeks, but I''m back over here sas a regular, I hope!
Lorelei, I totally need to plan meals to keep on track. Having good stuff in my desk keeps the trips to the vending machine at bay, and knowing what I''m eating at lunch makes life much healthier. I love trips to grocery store when I actually have a plan in mind!
So I''ve been keeping my eats in check a lot better lately, and trips to the gym have been more frequent. I acutally plan on going tomorrow morning before work...whoa! I''ve been meeting a friend forsome classes at the gym. Taking the classes are great. I push myself much harder, and get a full hour of a good hard workout in. The class I''m really liking now is an interval class, 4 mins of cardio, 3 of legs, then 2 of arms. And repeatfor an hour! Only issue is he teacher looks like my boss!
Not sure that I''ve lost much weight, but I did break down and get some new pants the other day. They were on sale, and I needed some thyat just fit better.
Tlh, I am excited to try that recipe you put up! I''ve been making quinoa a lot lately...yum!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It''s almost 9:30 and guess where I didn''t go tonight. Go on.....guess :( Hint: It''s the place where healthy, often well built people go to exercise. AAGGHHHHHHHH. It was such a tough day. I''ve got this huge project for a client and I had to have at least 12 candidates scheduled to interview on Friday. And then I have to have at least that many interview a week from Friday in two additional cities. I''m just going to have to work more hours for the next week or so. I''d better make some placements for all this extra work. I will go to the gym tomorrow night NO MATTER WHAT!! Charlie baked chicken, with wild rice and steame brocolli for dinner. At least I got to come home and have dinner at a regular time.

I''m sorry you and Marty had the crankies Marcy......I can sure relate..........I didn''t sleep well last night either. I''ve got a long day tomorrow, so I need to sleep better tonight. I hope you do as well.

deegee, brrrrrrrr, that''s cold and a lot of snow. I think you should definitely let the world see those sparkly ears! I hope you make it through the class tomorrow.

tlh, now awful that the lady doens''t leash her dogs. And I read recently that while labs are usually really sweet, there are more dog bites from labs than any othe breed. Maybe it''s because there are more labs? I hope the work from home paperwork is approved. It''s nice that you enjoy the hubs view from the rear!!

Good for you running BeachRunner. Your dinner sounded great!

Sorry you''re sick Bella. Feel better soon.......

Yay for losing the couple pounds Shiny and I hope you''re not in trouble at your Dr. appointment, though I may have missed why you would be. Have a good doctor''s visit..........

Thanks CJ, I''ve gotten to know the director really well and I know he would never curse in an interview. He''s pretty direct, but a consumate professional. I was really embarrased a candidate of mine would say GD in an interview with him. I prep my candidates so thoroughly, but it never occured I''d ever have to suggest that someone should never utter a curse word in an interview. It would be almost like saying, "make sure you wear clothes!!" At least I can joke about it now. I was really upset about it yesterday. Yay for getting your stitches out!!

OK......Back to work..........I''ll check in tomorrow after the gym, but it will likely be a fly-by.........

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Marty had problems at work so we didn''t get home until about 8. Then my folks stopped by to see the new sink and faucet plus the desk Marty built awhile ago so I am just now getting around to grading papers. My day at work was better than yesterday but still awful. I succumbed to both a donut and homemade blueberry coffee cake. My headache is better but different - makes me pretty confident it''s only stress.

I will try to catch up with all of you tomorrow.
Take care.
Marcy

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Charbie- quinoa is one of my faves. I''m glad you got new pants. I think it is important no matter what size is on the label on the inside, that we wear clothes that propperly fit. Even if a larger size, or if just a midway point on a much larger scale weight loss - when clothes lay correctly, you look and feel better about yourself.. and a lot of what we get out of life and "workouts" are dependant upon our self image.

Rod- NO! you missed the gym! What a dissapointment! Hopefully you''ll get it in tonight or this weekend! mm I love wild rice, I must add that back on my grocery list! I can see that... mainly because when the pound doesn''t know what the dog is they will say "lab mix" haha! I''m hoping I can work from home too... fingers crossed!

marcy- I''m sorry you''re so stressed out. But that blueberry cake sounds divine. I know you were in moderation, so I wouldn''t beat myself up about it. (If you are.)

Happy hump day! Another busy day for me... my hubs has worn me down. I''m getting a bike after we move. We''re going shopping this weekend - to see what bikes best fit my body and what feels most comfortable. I got sold because I hate driving in poor weather (and wouldn''t make it to the gym), and I''ve injured myself slipping on ice while running before... so buying a bike that I can use on an indoor trainer in the winter - basically sold me. He''s been trying for YEARS... and he got me... based on the move. Tonight for dinner I''m making salmon-ricotta rigatoni. Yummy!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Hump Day ladies!

bella-I hope you feel better!

shiny- I''ll get those weeks where I''m just never satisfied and always hungry.

cj- Jury duty sounds like no fun at all. I actually got a letter to serve on the jury in the state I used to live in. I guess I lucked out there.

tlh- 6 days a week is great! I run 4x week and need to add in some cross-training. I want to be careful not to injury myself, so I don''t want to run too much. Does that make sense? I think after my half, which is in May so I have a ton of time, I''m going to try and run for an hour 4-5x week. I agree that running for time is much better than running for a certain distance. I''ll map my run on mapmyrun.com and just go. I''m a steady 10min/mile so I can enjoy my run and not worry about looking at the time/how many miles I have left. I hate the treadmill but sometimes I have to use it. In the summer months, I run when the sun is setting. I recently moved to CO, so I have no idea how the weather is here, but I''m sure I''ll have to do the same.

charbie- I deperately need new work pants too. My last job I was able to wear jeans daily. Since then I went down a size so everything is just a little big. Congrats for the new size though!

rod- I hope things get better at work! Hang in there!

marcy- I hope you have a less stressful day at work!

I did not work out at all last night; my stomach was a little upset. Hubs and I had ground turkey tacos with whole wheat tortillas, romaine lettuce, and salsa. we love taco night! I have a 4 mile run today which I hope to do outside; lets hope I can get off work in time! I hope everyone has a great day!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Rod~ You know this but you''ve been very busy. I''m pregnant, that''s why I''d be in trouble for continuing to lose weight.

My doc had an emergency c-section this am so he couldn''t see me, but the nurse seems to think I''m doing fine. She didn''t seem concerned about my weight and my blood pressure is good. Baby''s heartbeat is good (and good to hear!). So, I''ll continue what I''ve been doing. I do hope to not lose anymore weight but I want to keep my total gain at around 15 lbs (which will be under the pre-workout weight!)

I''ve continued doing sit-ups on my ball and I feel like that is helping a lot during this pregnancy. I want to keep those abs tight to give me more support. Still working on my arms too but I''ve hit a plateau. I''m trying to find an arm workout that won''t be too severe for the rest of me.

That''s all for now. Have a great afternoon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

35.gif
gangarooni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long time, no communique! Between my son''s finals, kitchen reno''s, and appointments galore, I''ve not been to the gym. But today I made up for lost time--ran against the current in the river and did the treadmill for 30 (hard) minutes. Feel great. I''ll go again tomorrow since Friday is out.

Hope this note finds everyone well, and in health!!!

cheers--Sharon

tlh

Ideal_Rock
br- sounds great, to me! I also love tacos! enjoy your run tonight!
shiny- glad the nurse wasn''t too worried about your weight loss. take care of your bun!
sharon- busy lady! glad your workout was enjoyable!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I''m on the mend, but not 100%, listening to the video of the class I missed yesterday b/c I was still super sick!

Tonight i had leftover veggie yaki udon and made some strawberry lemon frozen yogurt (YUM)

Charbie, the recipe is as follows:
3 c yogurt (I used stoneyfield farm cream top, but fage 2% and 5% are great and it is possible to use non-fat, but it''s not as creamy)
1 carton strawberries
1 lemon
1/2-3/4c sugar or agave syrup

chop strawberries and mix with sugar and zest and juice of lemon, let sit for 10 min, stir in yogurt, put in ice cream maker. YUM-25 minutes later it rocks!!!

next time I might use a little limoncello and some more strawberries, but it''s delish as it.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tlh - yay! That''s great you''re moving closer to family. Matt and I chose WV when we moved because it is only 1 1/2 hrs away from my family. Cleveland was another option, but it was 6 hours away and we couldn''t stand the thoughts of moving so far away from my people. My parents are in their 70''s, so I feel much better being fairly close. I hope you can work from home! I could never do that because I''d stay in my jammies all day, start work at about 1 in the afternoon, play with the kitties and puppy...I''d get fired.

beachrunner - that''s great that your husband is on board with the healthy eating! My hubby is addicted to chips and candy, so I have had to go it alone. He''ll eat my light dinners, but with a side of fritos. He goes straight to his candy stash afterwards!

bella - sorry you''re sick. Feel better!

shiny - I can''t wait until you pick out a band. You''ll love it! I''ve had mine for 10 years, and I have worn it almost every single day. I just picked it up a few hours ago from having it sized and rhodium plated, and it looks brand new again. I tried a Sprite 0 today at work, and it''s just not the same as my diet dew. That might be a habit I can''t kick! I hope you start gaining weight soon...

cj - woo-hoo for getting stitches out, but yuck for jury duty! Hubby was on jury duty a few years ago in a case involving a juvenile, and he was sworn to secrecy. He still hasn''t told me a thing about it. That would kill me!

charbie - yippee for new pants!!! I absolutely have to plan or I really mess up. I didn''t plan wisely this week and ended up eating out for lunch Mon, Tues & Wed. I went to places where I had nutrition info, so I think I did okay. But I need to do a better job next week.

Aw rod - sounds like work isn''t slowing down a bit. Sorry to hear that! Every now and then at work when I start thinking of all I have to do, I feel a panic attack trying to come on. We have a huge project at (my quickie flight to NC a few weeks ago) which is going to require our agency to rent office space outside of our office so that we can work a few days a week solely on the project without being interrupted by normal daily work. But we''re expected to keep up with normal daily work too. Yay. We''re going to have to start a "they''re trying to kill me" support group here! Your dinner sounds yummy. Yay for Charlie getting it ready!!

marcy - I hope you''re feeling better. Do you and Marty carpool? Matt and I do, and I end up waiting on him so much - that''s why I bought my Kindle! I''ve been trying to get up a little earlier so I can drop him off at his office, and then I have the car and can leave my job on time. I end up reading in the car in his parking lot instead of my toasty warm office, but at least I leave and am not tempted to keep working until he''s ready.

Today was weigh in, and I lost another pound. Not good since I''m trying to maintain! So now I have lost 66 pounds, and people are starting to come to me with "concern" that I have an eating disorder. Golleeee!!!! My WW leader told me about a new gym that has late hours that opened near my house. I walk everyday, but I''d like to try working out on machines. I need to build strength!!! My hair got whacked big time last night, about chin length. I cried all the way home, but after I fixed it myself I decided that I really like it. I hate the attention a new haircut gets you at work though!! Have a great Thursday everyone!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
bella Your frozen yogurt sounds delicious! We used to have an ice cream maker, but it did not make the CC move.
8.gif
Hubs used to make all kinds of frozen sorbets; they were so good and healthy when you control what you put in the recipe!

deegee You''re in WV? We moved from WV to CO. We lived in northern WV, you know, the BIG college town. DH''s family still lives in Charleston; that''s where we got married. My family lives in Pittsburgh, so we were close to our family too.

Tonight, hubs made wild salmon, broccoli, cous cous, and salad. It was a big meal, and I got full quickly. My stomach has not been sitting well these past few days, but I can blame dear AF for that. I went on a run after work, but an upset stomach and running do not mix.
14.gif
I did about 4.25 miles today outdoors.

Hope everyone has a good evening!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......And.......AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH........Let me say that again........AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! It's after 9. I've only been home about an hour. And guess where Rod didn't get to go AGAIN????????? I was still at the office at 7:30 and I got there before 8 this morning. I have so much to do, that's it's not really possible for one person to do with the quality I like to put into my work. And it's not going to let up for at least another week. It's possible......and gasp, it's hard to say this, but I may not be able to make it to the gym until Sunday. I don't miss a whole week. Nope. Never. But, Ive got responsibility to all these candidates and clients and right now they have to come first. Still, it really really really really sucks that I keep missing my workouts. Sigh......I guess a week off won't be the end of the world. Maybe it will be good for my muscles to have a break.......Yeah, that's it. Can you say self-justification? I'm doing my best to justify this in my mind.........OK.....Rod Rant Over.........

Before I completely forget. Shiny, I'm so sorry. Of course I kow you're pregnant. Sorry for not connecting the dots about getting a lecture from the doctor if you've lost weight. I hope the appointment was good.

Marcy, I had to laugh about you succumbing to a donut and coffee cake........Did your ears burn today? They should have. I talked about you to this new girl in our office. To be honest, she made you look slim at your biggest. And in the last couple weeks, she's actually gained weight. I would guess she weighs over 350 at this point. Just this morning, she had a huge breakfast from the cafe in our building. I mean huge. Then she had a mid-morning snack. Lunch was a greasy cheeseburger and a double order of fries. Then an early afternoon snack of 5 (yes, I counted them) fried egg rolls. All this is being washed down with a gargantuan coke (not diet). So, she came over and started complaining that she's gaining weight (she knows my story), but can't figure out why??? I told her about you and how hard you worked and that there is really only 1 way to lose weight and that's to burn more calories than she consumes. Her father's in his 60s and he supposedly weighs nearly 500 pounds. He's in an assisted living facility. He's had two strokes in the last two weeks, a heart attack and has just developed diabetes induced blindness. She's fast following in his footsteps. It's sad really. Anyway, I doubt the story I told her about you will make her want to do anything about losing weight, but I thought you'd like to know I used you as inspiration.

Happy bike shopping tlh!! That's a great idea..........

Thanks BeachRunner..........I hope your stomach is feeling better......Enjoy your run.

Hey Sharon......it's nice to hear from you and while you've clearly been busy, it sounds like you're doing well. Stop by more often won't you!

OK....back to work, he said cracking the self-induced whip in his mind.............

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results