clarity

"Just Barely" Pregnant PS''ers

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:29:55 PM
Author: Jena17
Hi Ladies!

Welcome, Rock of Love! Congratulations!

I went to my first visit on Wednesday, they just went over my health and history, etc. Gave me a bag of stuff and sent me for blood work! Blood panel, thyroid, HIV, etc... Normal stuff I guess. My husband thought they would have atleast gave a pregnancy test to confirm it there. Do you know if they will do that in the urine test or blood tests they gave me?? I don''t have any doubt that I am, but I thought there was a way to tell if the HCG levels were normal. Also, how long do you think it will take them to get the tests back? They said they would call if something was wrong only.

We want to tell our parents this weekend, I am only 5 weeks so it is still really early but I want them to know! So if there were any problems the doctors should have called by now don''t you think?? We have our first U/S at the end of February and pap smear, etc. then. But I don''t want to wait until then to tell them.

when i went in i did a urine test and that''s how they confirmed my pregnancy.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Cara, excellent news!

ROL, Congratulations and welcome
1.gif

Jena, They probably did an hCG test as part of your blood panel. If it was qualitative, you can call back and get the betas. My office says they are processed in 24 hours. I think re: problems in your pregnancy, the blood panel is not going to tell you everything. My 2 cents: sadly, your pregnancy can end at any time. I don''t mean to be fatalistic, just realistic. It''s very stressful to think about, but true. Miscarriages are not common, but not rare either. The risk does drop significantly after you hear the hb, but obviously you can still have a miscarriage after the hb was present, as I did. So...I would say sit tight and be positive, try to keep your stress level down and take care of yourself. It''s all you can do! Re: telling your parents, you could think about it this way. If you dont'' tell your parents, and then you do have a problem and need their support, will they be emotionally where you need them to be in order to support you? Will they really feel your pain? You may want to tell them now and absolutely swear them to secrecy that they don''t tell anyone else in the family, so that they can be there for you "in case." You don''t want them to respond to your bad news with, Wait, you were pregnant?!??? Also, of course you want to tell them soon, just because!

----------------------

So, I had my 7 week u/s yesterday. Baby measured 6w6d, which is perfect according to O date. Strong hb was 154. I was pretty happy until the dr. came in and told me I had a small, subchorionic hemorrage. Basically, it''s a blood clot between the uterine wall and the placenta. It''s small and asymptomatic, meaning i have had zero bleeding. But if it grows larger it can cause a miscarriage. Needless to say, I am pretty freaked out. With my miscarriage last year, the dr. showed us on the u/s that there had been a lot of bleeding basically around the gestational sac. There''s no way of knowing if that happened after the miscarriage , or it WAS the cause of the miscarriage. I am just left to wonder and worry. The doctor did say that most small clots of this kind are just reabsorbed by the body and pose no problem to the pregnancy. But I do have a previous history. I am going to call my OB on Monday to get her opinion and guidance.

Anyone know anything about subchorionic bleeds? I will also post this in the preggo thread. TIA.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Kit-I don''t have any info for you, but I hope that everything is ok (((Hugs)))

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Kit,

I also don''t have any knowledge about your situation, but I really do hope that everything will be ok. Lots of dust for a healthy bean and a healthy pregnancy! ((Big hug))

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kit I have no experience with your condition other than what I''ve read and you have the same information I have. Best of luck hun!

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
kit- the positive thing is so far the baby has been growing fine and has a strong HB. Hoping everything sorts itself out over the coming days and hope you receive some answers from your OB on monday.

Jena- yep what they did is pretty standard- thats what happened at my 6 wk apt. They didnt even take my HCG level (betas) because they said I had a positive pregnancy test and it will be reconfimed it was a vaiable preganacy once they did the ultrasound at 7wks. As to when to tell you family that is really a personal decision and everyone has a different opinion on this. IMO, since its still really early (think 5 wks rite?) and have not had your US yet, the doctor is really not able to see everything is okay until reveiwing the ultrasound. Odds are in your favor everything will be just fine but there is always that small chance during the first tri.

Someone at work came up to me this past week and asked if i was KU
32.gif
Kind of suprised... I asked why they thought that and they told be my BB''s got huge... great! LOL! (I dress conservative at work but my BB''s have gone from a 34B to a 36C so they are kinda hard to hide) So after that experience, although I am only 8 weeks, I went shopping today for loose fitting shirts to hopefully hide the floatation devices growing on my chest....hehe!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Kit - I hope the OB can give you reassuring news tomorrow. at least the doc said that they mostly get reabsorbed.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Kit , don''t know anything about you condition but it is reassuring to know that baby''s growth is on track.

Please keep us posted!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh...I guess everyone''s first prenatal visit can be very different. I''m hearing quite a few different experiences out there!!

Mine was mainly informational...and they ordered a TON of blood tests that I need to go do after 10weeks. I went to a midwife, as I want to receive my care and deliver with midwives. She did a pelvic exam and a pap. Also, she tried to listen for the heartbeat on a doppler, but I guess it can be tough to detect this early through just a doppler. She wasn''t going to do an ultrasound unless I wanted one...she says she tries to limit the total number they do. But, because I had miscarried 2 years ago, I really wanted the reassurance. And, I''m so glad I did cuz we got to hear the the heartbeat!
9.gif
Also, my FI was able to see the heartbeat!
9.gif
I couldn''t because I was on my back and it was hard to see the angle of the screen. We measured exactly how far along we thought we were - 8wks 6days!

Since I''m an "elderly" pregnancy (LOL! - I''m 37), they offered the genetic counselling and screening. I made an appt for it at 12 weeks...so, I''ll have a more sensitive ultrasound then, the bloodwork will be done, and I guess they go over all the results and determine your risk factors for down''s etc.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi gals... I'm always behind, but I hope everyone is well :)

Kit, I just found out this week that I have a small SCH too. The docs told me no chex, no heavy lifting, and no working out till the spotting stops for at least 7 days, and then have another u/s to confirm that it's shrinking. They are *fairly* common, just that most women, like yourself are asymptomatic, and never have a clue. They almost always correct themselves as long as we take it easy and try not to strain ourselves.

I've been put on a modified bedrest until my next u/s. Try not to panic and I would say to stay away from Google when you're worried.

If you need a venting buddy, I'm here. So far I'm loving the fact that DH is doing practically everything, and I plan to milk it like a California cow, LOL!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I are going through a rough patch right now due to my hormones. I''ve been trying to find something to help him learn to cope, because clearly, as much as I want to change, it''s just not happening at the moment. I thought I''d post the following in an effort to help the other early pg ladies who might be dealing with the same thing as we are.

Dealing with hormonal pregnant women: don''t make them feel crazier-by Bill, almost a dad

Around 9:30 last night my beautiful and wonderfully pregnant wife tried to strike up a conversation with me while I was embroiled in some intense typing. It was basically a pregnancy snack request, but her approach was a little rough and somewhat out of the blue. The conversation went something like this:

"I''d like a candy bar and a back rub," she said to kick things off.
"A candy bar and a back rub?" I replied quizzically looking up from my laptop. She was laying on the floor doing some light yoga to stretch out her back at the time, and looked up at me with a grin that I just couldn''t say no to.
"You''re crazy. You know that don''t you?" I replied with a smile. I turned my attention back to my screen in an attempt to finish my work before I set out to fetch a Three Musketeers.
"Why? I''m hungry," she said playfully.
"I''ll go get you a candy bar," I admitted in a tone slightly frosted with defeat.
She shot back with "What, I can''t get a back rub?" in a tone sharper than her initial request. I looked up a little disbelievingly.
"You''re un-friggin-believable," I said, shaking my head and continuing to type.

As I neared the end of my work I realized that she hadn''t said anything in a few minutes. A few minor sniffles perforated the silence of a commercial break on TV and quickly caught my attention.

"Are you crying?" I asked, somewhat disbelieving.
"No." And she wasn''t. Not quite yet.
"What''s wrong?" I pried.
As soon as she began to respond the waterworks let loose.
"I''m just really uncomfortable and I feel bad asking you to do all these things..."

She continued down her relatively short list of "why I''m crying" in a tone that sounded like an orgy of critically wounded geese, so I didn''t pick up a lot of the finer points. I could tell those points didn''t really matter. "My back hurts and I''m sorry that I’m hormonal" were the captions of her pregnancy-fueled, hormonally catalyzed mini-melt down.

I sat down next to her and told her that it was okay and I didn’t mind her requests at all, she just has to work with me a little sometimes. I said that I can only imagine all the changes that she’s going through and I’d do anything I could to help her. That made her cry more because she now felt worse that I was being understanding.

“How about I massage you with a candy bar?” She began to laugh. Laughter is a good way to diffuse a pregnant loon. So I rubbed her back for a little while and eased her back pain woes. The candy bar craving passed on its own at some point during the massage.

A few points of pregnancy wisdom I gleaned from this experience:

1. Don’t make a pregnant woman feel worse than she already does. It’s your job to keep quiet. Putting up with her craziness is the male analogy of experiencing hormones directly, it’s just something you have to go trough as part of pregnancy.

2. A pregnant woman may not even be aware she’s acting strange. If she isn’t, then don’t bring it to her attention. She may forget about what she did later on and only remember your reaction. I''m very lucky that my wife at least realizes when she''s being irrational.

3. If a pregnant woman wants food, she wants it five minutes ago.

4. Don’t expect an apology from a pregnant woman, and don’t ask for one. If you happen to get one, that’s icing. Just support her lunacy and cravings, and keep in mind that she’s going through a tough time.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HH, I’m so sorry you and your DH are having a rough go at it. I WAS TOTALLY THERE A FEW WEEKS AGO. Pregnancy hormones are a total biatch! I was “nasty” to DH when he asked me a “simple” question (can you sense my sarcasm already?). The next day I was over it and, in all honesty, forgot about it. Well, DH confronted me about how “he didn’t like being talked to like that” and how he’s “very respectful of me” and “expects the same in return”. To make matters worse, I wasn’t even sure why he was mad because I didn’t remember what I said! Well, hormones still raging, I refused to apologize and told him he was overreacting. We never resolved it really but things are MUCH better now. I think he just felt better getting it off his chest. He''s a pretty laid back guy and can never stay mad for long.

3.gif

I just wanted you to know that I understand what you’re going through. I think DH gets that this is harder for me than it is for him (now, anyway). I normally have raging PMS so the mood swings aren’t really anything new to him but I don’t think he *gets* that it really is the hormones. So – one day at a time – for both of you.

My DH has subscribed to baby center and reads the updates religiously. It really does help. Today, he said he looks forward to the second trimester libido!
2.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 1:05:13 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Laughter is a good way to diffuse a pregnant loon.
1.gif
did your DH write that or did you get it somewhere else? I think if he wrote that, it''s sweet that he cares so much about you that he took the time.

when I bought a pregnancy book, the first thing DH asked was "Where is the part that talks about hormones and you acting crazy?" uh... I bought it so we could follow the development of the baby...
20.gif

hang in there, and soon Pregosaurus Rex will turn back into happy Mama Hawk.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No no, it''s from somewhere else. My husband''s not that articulate, lol.

The problem with the moods is sometimes, while they want to laugh, my mood is so dark that laughing in my face would probably lead to me throttling him.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:) HH I''m sorry you''re having a rough time with the hormones...
We''reTTC, though this month is a no go b/c we both got sick...DH looks at me last night and goes "do you think you''re going to get post-partum depression" I''m like "um, I have no idea but since we''re not even pregnant yet lets wait and see" then he goes "do you think you''re going to get crazy hormones when your pregnant" I''m like "um, I have no idea, let''s get pregnant first" so, the hormones are clearly on DH''s mind too.
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 9:18:28 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
:) HH I''m sorry you''re having a rough time with the hormones...

We''reTTC, though this month is a no go b/c we both got sick...DH looks at me last night and goes ''do you think you''re going to get post-partum depression'' I''m like ''um, I have no idea but since we''re not even pregnant yet lets wait and see'' then he goes ''do you think you''re going to get crazy hormones when your pregnant'' I''m like ''um, I have no idea, let''s get pregnant first'' so, the hormones are clearly on DH''s mind too.
20.gif

LOL!!! It sounds like your H has been reading up!

PPD is something I''m terrified of.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
HH - That little story had me LOL. Quite a clever little tale. Thanks for sharing! I am going to share with my DH later...

Also, I heard about a great book called "My Boys Can Swim," which is supposed to be a very funny book for guys about what they can expect during pregnancy. Maybe its worth checking out?

Good luck with the crazy hormones and hopefully your DH will figure out a good way to handle them so you will both be content
2.gif

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
hi guys...

just need to vent.

10 weeks today and was feeling pretty darn good about fitting into normal clothes easily etc. then i tried on my post-partum skinny jeans (i wasn''t big to start with, but i got darnright tiny by breastfeeding my son), and OMG it''s awful. not only do i have a tummy pooch, but my butt and thighs are much bigger also!!! i could barely pull them on, not to mention button them comfortably... this is NOT OK!! i don''t remember getting the butt/thigh growth until the 3rd trimester....

out come ye olde bella bands. UGH.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 10:22:33 PM
Author: lover in athens
hi guys...

just need to vent.

10 weeks today and was feeling pretty darn good about fitting into normal clothes easily etc. then i tried on my post-partum skinny jeans (i wasn''t big to start with, but i got darnright tiny by breastfeeding my son), and OMG it''s awful. not only do i have a tummy pooch, but my butt and thighs are much bigger also!!! i could barely pull them on, not to mention button them comfortably... this is NOT OK!! i don''t remember getting the butt/thigh growth until the 3rd trimester....

Hahaha honey I feel your pain! I don''t understand how I can not gain an ounce and yet not fit into any of my clothes! And if it makes you feel any better, I''m only in my 8th week.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the encouraging words ladies. SL, I am so relieved to hear someone else is going through this! I think it''s not uncommon. I am so glad your DH is taking over. I have not heard back from my Dr yet
29.gif
which frankly pisses me off. Then again, perhaps it''s a sign that it''s not really that big of a deal? Either way, I feel quite in the dark and am going to talk to her about how to open up the line of communication between us. I put in another call today, I hope I don''t have to call like 2-3 times a day just to get a response, but I am willing to be the squeaky wheel. In the meantime, I am borrowing some of your doctor''s advice minus the bedrest, which would be tough to do right now with work. Am just trying to take it easy and not do anything that might make it worse.

Also, sorry to hear about the DH troubles, HH, Puppmom and others...ah, husbands. They just will never get it, IMO, even if they read stuff like What to Expect cover to cover. They are not experiencing it and therefore it''s just different for them. This time around my DH is way better with his coping, giving me way less attitude and complaining and he''s just basically grinning and bearing it. He''s doing a lot more around the house and kind of sucking it up. But last time, we did have some friction because he was just totally unprepared. I think it helped for him to talk to some friends and coworkers who are dads and who have been there, done that. It seems they gave him some kind of reality check, thankfully.

In other news, anyone dealing with serious constipation? TMI alert, skip ahead if you''re grossed out by this. Well, I am taking one colase per day which isn''t really doing much, and just tried some prune juice last night. Nothing. Nothing! Any advice or tips? I am getting a bit desperate. Ah, pregnancy!
6.gif
9.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Kit, hope the hemmorage thingy turns out to be nothing. I seem to recall from lurking on the preggo thread long enough that a number of women have had them and even with some bleeding everything turned out fine. Obviously it is worrying, but not much you can to but hope it turns out to be innocuous and resolves itself! To bad your dr can''t give you more reassurance. On the blockage front, I also had no magic answers but sympathy and same problem. I take my pill everyday and it seems to do little, but maybe things would be worse without it? Ugh. I had a salad for lunch the other day, thought maybe the roughage would help but had such horrible gas I wolnt be repeating that anytime soon!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So my step sister decided to tell me this weekend that when she was pregnant with her first child she got her "period" the first two months and got negative hpts all the way up until 11 weeks. I''m sure some of that is exaggeration, but how crazy would it be if I went to my appointment next Tuesday and found out that I indeed got pregnant in November and am now at the end of my first trimester??? I know, wishful thinking...

Gah! I''m so tired today

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 10:22:33 PM
Author: lover in athens
hi guys...

just need to vent.

Athens,
The key words here are "I could barely put them on"! Yeahhh, they still fit. Heres to lookin'' curve-a-licious
36.gif

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
Kit-

I hope your subchorionic hemorrage disappears by the time of your next U/S or sooner.
PS: I hope your doctor calls and sets you rmind at ease. If not, call again, again, and again.
PSS: Thanks for the encouraging those who are TTC after M/C to chart BBT''s, it''s been a fun process (except the waking at 5am part).

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:49:16 AM
So my step sister decided to tell me this weekend that when she was pregnant with her first child she got her ''period'' the first two months and got negative hpts all the way up until 11 weeks. I''m sure some of that is exaggeration, but how crazy would it be if I went to my appointment next Tuesday and found out that I indeed got pregnant in November and am now at the end of my first trimester??? I know, wishful thinking...

Gah! I''m so tired today
That is crazy!! I was reading that it can be common to have some bleeding/spotting around the time you usually have your period. I think that is what happened to me...I had some light spotting literally the day I would''ve had my period!

Also - I hear you on the tiredness...that is my worst symptom right now. I could barely move yesterday, sooooo lethargic.

ambulance92

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:49:16 AM
So my step sister decided to tell me this weekend that when she was pregnant with her first child she got her ''period'' the first two months and got negative hpts all the way up until 11 weeks. I''m sure some of that is exaggeration, but how crazy would it be if I went to my appointment next Tuesday and found out that I indeed got pregnant in November and am now at the end of my first trimester??? I know, wishful thinking...

Gah! I''m so tired today

I guess it''s possible! I was talking to a good friend today that was telling me that with her last pregnancy she had two normal (or at least she thought they were normal) periods while she was pregnant with her son. She went in for her ultrasound and she was just over 8wks!
That would be an interesting story if that happened to you Hudson_Hawk!! Good luck at your appointment!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Um, but its not the most common outcome (the period while pregnant). But the U/S will tell!

Blah bleh ulgh blah eruug. That''s my comment on today. I''m taking my generic anti-nausua med, and it hasn''t done much. Or rather, I would hate for to have gone through the ''bad'' version of today if this is the ''good'' version with meds. Must muster energy to do work while nauseous and not bang-head-on-wall with anti-vaccine nuts on the other thread...

Welcome ambulance!

I got a second good ultrasound this week at about 7 weeks so things look good! This scan was a little more convincing, though the LO is still a little tadpole-like
1.gif
. Happy gestating ladies!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
GAH! It would be great if it were me because it''d mean I was done with all of the junk symptoms and into the honeymoon phase!

How are you ladies feeling today? Today is a great day for me. No m/s, I''m not too tired, etc...

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
just checking in to say hi...
everything good on my end.

i think my nausea/vomiting is getting a little better!! it didn''t let up until about 14 weeks last time so i don''t want to get too excited, but the past couple days haven''t been that bad. YAY!!

10 1/2 weeks...

cara: what generic are you on? metoclopramide? ondansetron? hope it kicks in soon!!
HH: when is your appt again??
KIT and SL: hope you guys are taking it nice and easy!
LUV: believe, i''m so short that i do NOT look good when i''m curvy! UGH. my butt is enormous!!!
ROCK: hope you''ve got some more energy...

cara

Ideal_Rock
ondansetron sounds right.

got some relief around 4 today, but can''t tell if its the meds or normal for me. Blah, may have to work most of the night to make up for it.

LIA, you are chugging along. Have you had any luck on the weaning front? You may have to get creative, like putting that no-nail-biting fingernail polish on your (*)(*), if more direct measures are too challenging.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results